Editors: Studio albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hollow Horse, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy Thread Starter

05, 07, 09, 13, 15 - why nothing in 11? Anyways, I'm not sure anything touches The Back Room which was and still is IMO a fantastic debut.

Boskis, ARK, LivingForever and 3 others like this.
  2. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Defo 1st two, 2nd edges it for me slightly

jamesc likes this.
  3. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Tom Smith did the Funny Looking Angels project in '11, so that might help to account for the gap. The Back Room is one of my favorite albums of the '00s, and while Violence and In This Light... have their moments, it's always the debut that gets the spins when I want some Editors.

4. Hollow Horse

I think they went electronic with the third album which put me off a bit and while they've been a bit weak lyrically, The Back Room like Erick Haight above me, is one of my favourite albums of the noughties.

Erick Haight likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A lot of albums touch "The Back Room". None of them is by Editors! :evil:

6. Polyphenol

Polyphenol Forum Resident

Voted for 'The weight of your love' but 'The back room' is of equal quality.

Porkpie likes this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has anyone got any experience with the vinyl pressings? They’re pretty reasonable and I love the band but bought the albums on CD at the time.

JeffMo likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

I've got an original "The Back Room" which looks classy and sounds nice.

The gold vinyl"In-Dream" is good but I've hardly ever played the red wax "Violence". What do you think of "To Lose My Life..." by White Lies btw? Great album!

Porkpie likes this.
  9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I saw White Lies live a few years back because my wife liked them but for some reason I wasn’t really interested in them.

I bought the first 3 Editors CD’s when they were released (preferring the first 2) but now I really like The Weight of Your Love and it’s possibly my favourite. I saw them live when they toured it and it was a great setlist. I didn’t give the latest album much time tbh, and although In Dreams has a couple memorable songs (All the Kings), I’m just looking to pick up the first 4 if they’re any good.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  10. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I think Violence is their best, though I might like the versions on Blanck Mass Sessions even better!

Speaking of White Lies, they are one of my favorite bands. Flew to LA to see them last night and it was a really great show.

spacedyed likes this.
  11. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I bought the current repressing of the first three and like them a lot. Have just bought Violence but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

Neonbeam and Porkpie like this.
  12. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve now got Weight of Your Love and In This Light and they’re excellent pressings. Will pick up the 2nd album next.

Neonbeam likes this.
  13. Neonbeam

Never really got into "Violence" but "In Dream" is pretty good.

JeffMo, Porkpie and punkmusick like this.
  14. Hollow Horse

I still love the light on, baby.

15. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

The Back Room is my favorite. 2nd album was a nice continuation . I liked the electronic twist of the third album and then they lost me after that.

punkmusick likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

They did and produced by Flood so it gets my vote. I'm really enjoying In Dream a lot though and need to catch up on their latest.

17. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

loved the first album and each one since has been a steady disappointment. At some point they forgot that their talent was guitar music.

18. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

They've grown so much as a band -- and as a fan of rock *and* electronic music, I've enjoyed and embraced their experimentation. Not many bands are bold enough to follow their muse. I think Violence captures the spirit of their old stuff and the new stuff best. Saw them once touring their first album but was blown away when I saw them on their most recent tour.

JeffMo and punkmusick like this.
  19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Saw them 20-25 times live in 2005-2011, and I draw a big fat line at anything after the third album. Once Chris Urbanowicz left the band, not only the soul got sucked out of the band, the songwriting collapsed as well.

'The Back Room' is a classic, 'An End Has A Start' although commercial and overplayed almost just as good, and the third was a perfect combination of synths/experiments and their usual top class songwriting. But the efforts after are just shocking. Pains me to say as ex-super fan boy. After that only the songs 'Sugar' (even with the stadium echo chants) and 'Forgiveness' (even with the repetitiveness) came close to what once was. So dire.

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I need to get that one still. Found a used DE for The Weight of Your Love just a couple weeks ago at Bull Moose.

spacedyed likes this.
  21. Disco Robot

Disco Robot Forum Resident

I've been hot and cold on them since the first album, but I appreciate that they are willing to try a lot of different sounds. This single from their greatest hits from last year is great:

spacedyed likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I finally picked up Violence in my catalog catchup, but will add Blanck Mass sessions to the "want" list!

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Spinning the Blanck Mass Sessions now! Interestingly it includes one song called "Barricades" that isn't on Violence, while dropping two other tracks that did make parent album.

24. Neonbeam

Time to talk about Editors again! Just picked up "In This Light And On This Evening" for 15€ and am curious how it will sound on vinyl. Keeping these albums in print on wax is actually a pretty clever move from Pias.

JeffMo and zwolo like this.
  25. zwolo

zwolo Forum Resident

Neonbeam likes this.