Efficient used speakers under $5k

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CarmineRed, Aug 3, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarmineRed

CarmineRed I promise I'm very nice in person Thread Starter

I finally sold my Tekton DI's and am now in the market for new speakers. The Tektons were "fine" I guess, they lacked any sophistication or elegance for sure.

I'm going to Upscale Audio next week to listen to Cornwall IV and various Tannoy's (Cheviot, Stirling, Eaton) but wanted to get any feedback on anything in the used area for that money I should look into. Power is from a Line Magnetic 805i integrated BUT I do have a Digital Audio Company Class D power amp that I have been trying to sell but I could end up keeping if I fall in love with a speaker that needs the power.

I do like a bit of a warmer sound, nice lush midrange with airy vocals. Soundstage is a big one for me too. It's been YEARS since I've listened to speakers at a dealer, so I'm looking forward to it.

2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

They have a lot of high-end speakers and I would include Focal Aria 948 (92,5db sensitive), Monitor Audio Silver 500 (90.5dB sensitive), Revel F226BE (90dB sensitive) and Splendor D7.2 (90dB sensitive). These are in your price range and the Line Magnetic 805i should have enough power at 48 watts per channel.

unclefred and Tawaun A Williams like this.
  3. CarmineRed

Nice! Might as well while I'm there. Have always liked Monitor Audio too and have never heard Revel, Focal or Splendor speakers.

unclefred likes this.
  4. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

As the happy owner of a LM805ia as well I'd suggest that you focus perhaps more on a speaker with high nominal impedance (certainly at least 8 ohms minimum) over high sensitivity. While high sensitivity is helpful, I think the real magic is synergy with a high impedance speaker. The LM805ia at 48W has a good amount of juice. Used Altecs would be interesting. All O/Series Devore speakers are perfect matches but likely a little out of your price range (I saw some O/93's listed today for $6,800).

5. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I am envious of the ability to hear so many Speakers in one helping. Anyway to take your Amp along to power all or some of these examples? My guess would be no, but it wouldn't hurt to inquire beforehand.

6. CarmineRed

Yeah, I haven't done this in probably 20 years. Last few speaker purchases have been done without hearing them before.......lots and lots of research only. Can't take my amp, I'm on a business trip and planned a layover near their shop in Ontario and the 100lb LM doesn't travel well ;)

They said some Prima Luna amps could work for testing but not the same as the LM.

jonwoody and mreeter like this.
  7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Didn't realize the LM was such a heavy weight :eek: nuff said :agree: Enjoy your auditions :righton:

8. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

So many abbreviations on this site. What is an LM?

black sheriff and Swann36 like this.
  9. Ontheone

Agree, the Prima Luna's will sound nothing like the LM. I just looked at the amps they carry and I'd be certain to listen to the speakers through one of the very limited number of SET amps they carry. Although it's sold out, see if they still have a demo model of the Unison Research S2K. I'd also listen through the Feliks 300B. I suspect the LM805 will sound like something right between these two amps.

CarmineRed likes this.
  10. Ontheone

LM = Line Magnetic

Swann36 and mreeter like this.
  11. CarmineRed

Appreciate it, I think the salesman said something about the Feliks 300B as a good option to listen to.

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Let us know your purchase and impressions of speakers.

CarmineRed and Cyclone Ranger like this.
  13. Jaxjax67

Jaxjax67 Samantha Fish @ small venue

Your going to have fun over there. That bunch at Upscale is great & have delt with them a lot.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That's a cool place. Be sure to see the tube storage/repair area. As for efficient speakers that begs the question "how efficient"? There's stuff like yes Focal (we really like our 936) and the Monitor Audio. I spent some hours with the Silver 300 there, really great; I'd nominate
    Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G loudspeaker

But truly high sensitivity, that means big horns and large woofers pretty much. It's just physics and the physical limitations of driver design. Not much commercial stuff that I'm aware of besides like Cornwall, JBLs above your budget (even used??), DIY, and then super expensive stuff like Avantgarde.

CarmineRed likes this.
  15. Static

Static Forum Resident

I upgraded to a pair of Totem Signature 1 Bookshelves and use my trusty Velodyne 10inch sub when needed. IMO these speakers have a massive sound stage - excellent bass (even without the sub) and a extended high end that is not harsh but has a lot of sparkle. Prior to that I had a set of Epos Elan 15's which (for the money) was an excellent speaker. Speakers are so important and go by your individual taste but its always good to hear from those who own them.

CarmineRed likes this.
  16. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

Those Focal, while seeming to be high efficiency have a real nasty impedance dip. Better be careful with matching low powered amps.

Chris81, mtrot, Helom and 1 other person like this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

18. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I love the Tannoy Eaton - with Tannoy it will come down to how you like the treble - I like its openness and speed. It's an engaging sound.

19. CarmineRed

have never heard any of the Tannoy but have been told I should like their signature sound. We will see!

SandAndGlass and saturdayboy like this.
  20. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Vaughn Cabernett II sounds nice driven by LM 508 with two active 10 inch woofers, ceramic midrange, ribbon tweeter (93db/w).

If you are interested, I can give you good deal.

Please PM me.

Static likes this.
  21. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

Another video of Vaughn driven by LM 508.

Static likes this.
  22. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

There a lot of speakers that have good sensitivity on paper but they dont translate into the real world dividends because of their wild impedance swings...this is something to keep in mind which requires more research...

23. Tawaun A Williams

Tawaun A Williams Forum Resident

You seem to be in a good place with amps....you are in a position where you can let the speakers choose the amp To keep...i love efficient speakers but over the years i've learned in the end you want a speaker that is versatile with multiple amp choices and their are high efficiency speakers that can do it all. The Tannoys and Spendors would be high on my list, you might want to take a look at the KLH Model 5 i think he carries them as well i wouldn't really call them high efficient tho...he doesent carry these but check out the Fyne Audio 500 series they special editions versions to....and Golden Ears with their powered bass section and sweet AMT tweeters...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Good point but 48 watts RMS per channel would play loud on 90dB sensitive 8 ohms speakers that may dip below 4 ohms at a bass frequency. However, I would avoid an 8 ohm speaker that dips below 4 ohms as it is easier to drive power wise. The poster can look up the speaker impedance at various frequencies or Upscale Audio can provide the info.

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
  25. Habitant

Habitant Forum Resident

The Focal will dip down to 2 ohms

Tawaun A Williams likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.