Eight (Now Six) Current & Upcoming Sinatra/Capitol Titles on MFSL LP & SACD (pt2)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

Weird. The reply to me indicated the Customer Service person (in Chicago) had info from the sound lab (in Sebastopol). This newer reply just says "estimate not available".

I'll be in Sebastopol next month. I'll try to do some reconnaissance at the lab :kilroy:

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  2. Pants Party

Pants Party Gone Fishin'

"Amen" to that. It wasn't that long ago, that these weren't even a possibility. The relatively short wait for the release date will be loooooooooooooong forgotten when these are sitting on our shelves.

Are we really going to get Wee Small Hours from the correct master tapes?!?!? I still can't believe this is happening... (even though I own all three SACDs thus far). Maybe because the next batch is (and has been) such a critical component in my Fall/Winter/Seasonal line-up. And also because I've been avoiding my old digital copies, eagerly anticipating their retirement.

3. mpayan

mpayan Forum Resident

I think Ill be nervous about these until I have Wee Small Hours, SFSL, CFWM and Swingin Affair in my paws and know that they sound the way they are meant to sound.

DLant, Cousin It and mikrt17 like this.
  4. DLant

DLant The Dap-Gort Staff

Per a Facebook comment from MoFi today;

"Thanks, Dustin! We are hoping to release Point of No Return by the end of this year if there are no delays."

Doesn't seem too promising for anything other than PoNR.

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa Down by the old mainstream

:mudscrying:

DLant likes this.
  6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

"If there are delays, get the Beatles at the BBC reissues instead.

See ya in 2015"

7. Pants Party

Pants Party Gone Fishin'

While I can deal with delays... as we know, more time allows opportunity for things "to change." So let's hope nothing does. The good news is, it frees up funds for other music! And there's always other music. :agree:

I am looking forward to Point of No Return, since I haven't played it very much recently. When I first started gathering up Sinatra albums, this was one of the ones I played a lot. I really liked the song selection and the arrangements/orchestration were rather lush. Even though it was a little "sleepy" as in it didn't feel like it was striving for much -- it was a nice, even-keeled and consistent album.

I haven't returned to it much in recent years -- but I am really looking forward to MOFI's fresh coat of paint. I hope it helps "rekindle the flame" for what was one of Sinatra's best albums, containing some of the greatest heavy-hitters in the Great American Songbook.

1. "(Ah, the Apple Trees) When the World Was Young" (Johnny Mercer, M. Philippe-Gerard, Angele Marie T. Vannier) - 3:48
    2. "I'll Remember April" (Don Raye, Gene de Paul, Patricia Johnston) - 2:50
    3. "September Song" (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson) - 4:21
    4. "A Million Dreams Ago" (Lew Quadling, Eddie Howard, Dick Jurgens) - 2:41
    5. "I'll See You Again" (Noël Coward) - 2:44
    6. "There Will Never Be Another You" (Mack Gordon, Harry Warren) - 3:09
    7. "Somewhere along the Way" (Kurt Adams, Sammy Gallop) - 3:01
    8. "It's a Blue World" (Bob Wright, Chet Forrest) - 2:49
    9. "These Foolish Things (Remind Me of You)" (Jack Strachey, Harry Link, Holt Marvell) - 3:59
    10. "As Time Goes By" (Herman Hupfeld) - 3:17
    11. "I'll Be Seeing You" (Sammy Fain, Irving Kahal) - 2:47
    12. "Memories of You" (Eubie Blake, Andy Razaf) - 3:53

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  8. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

Some answers now revealed. More questions remain (e.g. status of MFSL releases). See thread:

9. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

The Music Direct 2014 catalog arrived in today's mail. The MoFi Sinatra page (p. 154) shows all five titles we've been waiting for since last year's catalog. I'm not sure if it signifies anything, but Point of No Return, Swingin' Lovers, and Swingin' Affair are at the top of the ad in a much larger size than all the other album covers. Come Fly With Me and Wee Small Hours are much smaller, but are labelled "Coming Soon." (Swingin' Lovers is also on the back cover.) Let's hope we're not still waiting when the 2015 catalog comes along...

jbg and DLant like this.
  10. aoxomoxoa

I saw that too, Bob. Quite a few MOFI titles I wasn't expecting! Lots more Miles and even FOREVER CHANGES by Love.

It will take many moons for some of them to actually see release. That is the only downside!

11. moss

moss Forum Resident

I'm OK with waiting, other than my own impatience spurred. I think this at least suggests nothing has changed, yet, with regard to both catalogs being under one roof.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

So no new titles beyond the already-announced ten? Bummer.

13. aoxomoxoa

We won't live that long!!!

14. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

No kidding! Five titles in five years. At that rate, they'd finish the Capitol series sometime around 2028!

15. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

This is the new MD catalog ad:

Music Direct 2014 p154.jpg

DLant, MMM and bozburn like this.
  16. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Interesting cover art choice for Swingin' Affair. (Track titles?)

17. SamTheSham968

SamTheSham968 Forum Resident

Well, CFWM and IWSH are no longer on the music direct website. The 3 others are still there, as TBA.

18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

That revised front for A SWINGIN' AFFAIR shown in this ad is not going to be on the final product. The actual releases will have the original cover.

19. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

See earlier discussion (starting here). I'd be very surprised (and disappointed) if that is the actual cover art they will use. Since the product is vaporware currently, the real cover is probably in the same category.

20. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Please, please, early 2014. We have been teased for a year already

Bob F likes this.
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Ohh, thanks Bob. Sorry for the repeated discussion. I certainly feel at home here and love these discussions but I have a lot of catching up to do!

22. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

Let's hope it's a temporary situation. Since they've been there for a year (with many pre-orders pending, I'd bet), and they're shown in the new catalog, it's difficult to believe they won't become available.

23. Bob F

Bob F Forum Resident

No problem. This thread and it's predecessor have been going for a LONG time. The new MD catalog is dredging up all the old discussions generated by last year's catalog and earlier.

24. aoxomoxoa

Keep in mind too guys, that these ads are set up months in advance. At least the catalogs have to be.

25. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I'm so looking forward to these releases I really hope we get them soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.