Either I'm cursed or grading skills have really gone down...or both.

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by jmpatrick, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident Thread Starter

4 deals in a row have been terrible. 3 on Discogs and 1 on eBay. Folks with 99+ seller ratings sending records that are woefully overgraded. In all 4 cases I received records and/or jackets that were described as NM or NM- and were loaded with deep scratches, gouges, seam splits.

This is getting old.

I'm getting old.

I needed to vent.

Have a nice day and good luck out there shoppers.

clhboa and chazz101s like this.
  2. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I think grading standards have always been poor on discos and especially eBay. I have my best luck right here in the clsssifieds and even then not 100 percent and there are a few sellersi avoid. I got fed up with eBay years ago- same think near mint described but records beat to heck when received.

chazz101s likes this.
  3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

eBay can be a crapshoot, but I've never had a problem with anything I've bought on Discogs. Of course, I don't really buy a LOT of used records online, so maybe I've just been lucky so far.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

even though i feel 100% protected on ebay, it does become really tiresome to have a 100% "failure" rate. all i expect is the record to match the grading. it rarely does. i hate it.

5. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I think you have to be cautious in reading the wording of the listing and researching what else the seller usually sells. You can tell if a seller deals in records vs. somebody that sells random stuff, especially by the wording in the listing. I'm very skeptical of somebody that throws an LP up for sale with next to no condition description ("used") and won't buy from them even if the price is really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.