Elac Debut series 2.0

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Wong, Feb 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey. Thread Starter

Looks like Andrew Jones has given the Debut series an upgrade. More info on 3/1.

[​IMG]

2point1, head_unit, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  2. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Looks like they are front ported and different materials for the woofers. Bigger cabinets for sure. How do they sound and how much do they cost?

3. Clonesteak

Looks alone these look worse than 1.0 and hoping the release of these push the price down on the B6 Debuts

Archguy, SirMarc and Mr.Sneis like this.
  4. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Hmm, I'm wondering if the 2.0 versions will have the same price/performance ratio? I'm a big fan of the B6's as I use a pair for my living room/watching tv speakers. I don't use them for serious music listening, only casual background stuff like Pandora, they sound great for that though.

5. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

This is from the Elac website RE upgrades on the 2.0's:

A new silk-dome tweeter features a wide-roll surround and takes response up to 35,000 Hz for even more lifelike high frequencies. The waveguide improves directivity control and eliminates the diffraction modes inherent in traditional box enclosures.
    The revised shape of the aramid cone offers even greater stiffness and damping, far superior to polypropylene or paper. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended low-frequency response.
    Thick MDF cabinets with a luxurious black ash vinyl finish are larger, and internally braced for greater stiffness and strength, greatly reducing cabinet vibrations which cause unwanted coloration. On the Bookshelf and Center Channel, moving the bass port to the front of the cabinet means placement against walls or in bookshelves won’t compromise performance.

The cost I've heard is $20 per pair more. If they do sound better then $20 is insignificant, imho.

OZmosis and Johnny Wong like this.
  6. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Wow! I gotta find a local dealer who is pet friendly-Toby (at left) wants to hear them!

7. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I bought the "old" B6s on Cyber Monday F**K. Oh well, how was I to know that Elac would come out with an updated speaker 2 years after the release of their original Debut series? Usually, it takes half a decade, right?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  8. Kostas

Kostas Forum Resident

Agree, they use vinyl that looks like vinyl and can't fool anyone even from the photos. They make em only in fake black ash and I don't like even real black ash...
    I know it's an affordable line but they could do better on looks department, surely more color options.

shirleyujest likes this.
  9. Clonesteak

Too bad they don’t offer colors like IKEA kallax shelving. Elac and IKEA could team up and make the Kallax Debuts :hide:

10. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'm envious of the front port. I have a pair of Debut B6 on stands, and every time I want to do some listening I have to pull them out a foot or so from the LP-filled shelves they live in front of, which greatly improves bass/imaging/soundstage, but is a pain. They can't stay positioned out from their usual home-spot, because it's a common walk-through in our house and they'd get bumped into.

tmtomh likes this.
  11. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Got a hole-saw? Move your port! :edthumbs:

12. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I’m definitely much more interested now that it’s front ported.

tmtomh likes this.
  13. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Elac should have an upgrade package where if you send in your old speakers and you pay a small premium you could get the 2.0s

progrocker, soundboy and Clonesteak like this.
  14. Clonesteak

Or... If you send them your proof of purchase of the Debut you get a discount on the 2.0 purchase.

progrocker and soundboy like this.
  15. Helom

Helom Forum member

Then what would they do with all the used speakers? And who would buy them when the 2.0s are so affordable?

16. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

2.2k crossover on the the new B6 vs 3k for the original.

17. OZmosis

OZmosis Well-Known Member

Anyone heard them yet? I too would be interested in knowing the improvements over the original Debut B6's. I really like mine.... I too (like CraigVC) have mine on stands..... wondering if the bass is same or better with the Debut 2.0?

eyeCalypso likes this.
  18. Clonesteak

I want to know if these Debut 2.0 have better imaging than the Debut B6's. Curious if they are a straight up improvement or should I just wait to snag another pair of B6 debuts on clearance? Maybe at the end of the year I will pick up either Debut B6 or the 2.0 for a set in my kids play room whichever is the better deal.

OZmosis likes this.
  19. Chiliarches

Chiliarches Forum Resident

Any actual reviews yet?

20. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

OZmosis likes this.
  21. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

And the fire sale for the originals is on... $200 for the 6 and $180 for the 5.

bhazen likes this.
  22. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Gee wiz, series one didn't last so long..

23. Clonesteak

I like my Debut 6 so much I bought a second pair of these from Amazon Warehouse for $180.
    Great deal if you are a limited budget.

24. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

They may certainly be wonderful sounding modestly priced speakers. However I have my doubts about this particular group of words:

luxurious black ash vinyl finish

I am sorry, I just am skeptical about the high tone versions of vinyl finish...call me old school but I think wood veneer would qualify as luxurious, not vinyl.

Archguy, SirMarc and Clonesteak like this.
  25. BeauZooka

BeauZooka Forum Resident

Wait, are you telling me I can’t trust corporate hyperbole?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.