Elbow: Giants Of All Sizes, album released October 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LarsO, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Looking forward to this

lee59 likes this.
  3. LarsO

Loved the previous album. Strangely I have only listened to the last two and not moved on to the "classics".

lee59, Solace and John C Bradley Jr like this.
  4. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Please please please let this one be a 2LP 45rpm, the sound quality on those are incredible!

trickness likes this.
  5. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

….and I see that it's not. Damn!

6. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Exciting news! While "Seldom Seen Kid" is my favorite of theirs (its one of my all time favorite records as well), pretty much all of their albums have been consistently good. Looking forward to this one as well.

Diamond Dog and CybrKhatru like this.
  7. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

Great news. Definitely one of the most interesting bands of the last fifteen years.

ausgraeme and LarsO like this.
  8. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Instant buy for me but I REALLY hope it's better than Little Fictions. A few nice songs there but overall a major dud. I keep listening to it thinking "this is the time it's going to click" and it never does.

NorthNY Mark and CybrKhatru like this.
  9. LarsO

That was the album of 2017 for me so it definitly clicked. Might be a matter of taste maybe?

LivingForever likes this.
  10. LarsO

The lead single. Seems a bit darker than the Little Fictions vibe.

Dexter & Sinister:

11. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

This is great news. I've enjoyed everything since The Seldom Seen Kid, but especially The Take Off and Landing and Little Fictions.

CybrKhatru and LarsO like this.
  12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

13. Fitero

Fitero Well-Known Member

I feel like the slow (57 year old) kid on the block here. I only became aware of this group about a month ago.

Yovra likes this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Sounds really good on Spotify — will be ordering the vinyl!

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just listened to the vinyl. The opening tracks on each side are immediate highlights but I felt rest of side one sort of drifted. Maybe I wasn't concentrating. Side 2 is stronger. It's nice but not outstanding though better than the last album and probably the one before that (I have not been tempted to revisit these). This does appear to be a lift as I think they have been on a downward curve since 'Build A Rocket'. There is something 'REM' about them as they have lost something since the drummer quit (and not officially replaced). Nothing to dislike here if you are an Elbow fan and they do introduce some interesting arrangements and orchestrations. This will probably be a grower.

Have to add the Optimal pressing is perfect (maybe I lucked out) which is a relief as I've had quite a few issues with them of late including Kate Bush and last 2 Beatles remix boxes. However since they went from Fiction to Polydor we get 33 rpm instead of double 45 rpm Lps. Up to and including 'The Takeoff And Landing of Anything' the whole catalogue got the 45 rpm treatment.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    denesis, sneekycheeks and dthomas850 like this.
  16. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

I loved The Seldom Seen Kid when it came out but I pretty much lost track of the band after that one. I’m trying to catch up now starting with the new one, which I just heard via Tidal. Really beautiful stuff. Makes me wonder why I lost track of them to begin with? Anyway, onwards (backwards) to Little Fictions!

dthomas850 likes this.
  17. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I'm on the fourth front-to-back listen, and I've found Giants Of All Sizes to be just delightful every single time out, with a few winning zigs when I expected zags (esp. w/r/t some of the vocal arrangements). My wife thought it beautiful upon first listen as well, and called it -- in her words -- "better than the **** you usually listen to."

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

:laughup::laughup:

19. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I can't believe I missed this until now!!

Elbow is an auto-buy for me, so I'll go pick this up ASAP. I liked their last record but LOVED the previous one (Take off and Landing of everything)… and there are great tunes on every record.

Alan57 likes this.
  20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

As a 54-year old they weren't on my radar until the beginning of this year....always nice to catch up..:)

ausgraeme likes this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Has became my new favorite album of this year.

22. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I didn't know this. It explains a lot. Still like them but agree they lost something a couple of albums back.

grouploner and Anonamemouse like this.
  23. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Just started my second listen to this one. Been following Elbow ever since the first album. They did seem to have lost the plot a bit two albums ago. Couple of good tunes, but also some filler. When I listened to Giants yesterday I kept listening opposed to wonder off and do something else. Return to form? Yes for me. It’s better than the new Wilco or the snooze fest that is the new Nick Cave record.
    But I do concur that they lost something when the drummer left.

24. Anonamemouse

Anonamemouse my other pink shirt is black too

I listened to it for the first time yesterday, and I am listening again while typing this. To me it has a few strong songs, but overall... It's definitely not "The Seldom Seen Kid".

25. Listened loudly through Tidal last night, it's powerful as a mood piece. They've kept up the tension with those rhythms and the deliberate sparseness, everything's purposeful and rolling.

I'm fairweather, loved the first album (Don't Mix Your Drinks, Powder Blue, and was pulled in by Any Day Now) but have only really connected with their Mercy Street cover since, so my expectations weren't.

The sentiments are wonderfully bitter, nothing new there, but... emotional music as a cynical response to being worn out.. it's powerful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.