Electric Dreams - new Channel 4 & Amazon anthology

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, completely agree, but for those who aren't hardcore PKD fans, it evokes a certain style and expectation which is, as you say, completely disconnected from the actual content. A kind of bait-and-switch, almost. I had the same kind of reaction as jriems.

beccabear67 likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I've started watching this series the last few days. I got kick out of that one, though I won't say it was good. The weird color scheme was annoying. And that pig/human hybrid had me thinking of the disastrous "Island Of Dr. Moreau" movie with Val Kilmer. I thought Sidse Knudsen as "Jill" was good.

So far my favorites are Autofac, Safe And Sound and The Hoodmaker.

Real Life was fine, but I feel like I've seen the "which is reality, which is a dream?" setup plenty too many times before, so it didn't really satisfy.

Didn't like Human Is very much, and The Father Thing I found to be a complete dud, but I often don't connect with stories about kids.

Still have three left: Impossible Planet, Kill All Others and The Commuter. I have read more than once that that last one is the highlight of the series, so I'm saving it for last.

beccabear67 likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Finished this up, and I'd say I liked about half the episodes enough that I'd watch them again sometime.

Impossible Planet - I didn't know Dick wrote stuff this sentimental. This seemed almost like a Spielberg 'Amazing Stories" episode.

The Commuter - I did like this one, but as with the above, it was less sci-fi and more just sentimental magic. I was hoping for a darker ending where after returning home to his son there would be some negative consequence for him to face.

I haven't read much PK Dick, just High Castle and Do Androids Dream... Are the original stories these episodes were based as sentimental as they came across here?

4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

These are more obscure short stories from Dick. But what you see in the show can at best be called 'inspired by a PKD short story', than being a faithful reproductions of those stories. Much has been changed.

beccabear67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.