Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I just bought a little solid state 3 watt Orange mini crush practice amp that came out last month. This thing's pretty sweet for practicing in the living room.

vudicus likes this.
  2. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

My workhorse for guitar is a bone stock '94 Blues Deluxe, and an early 70's Peavy "The Classic" (2-12" w/square magnets) for slide.

3. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I used to have a Marshall JCM800 stack and a Fender Twin Reverb. I kick myself for selling them. I now only have a Carvin AG100. It’s basically an acoustic amp which can handle acoustic and electric guitars. It also has a channel ported for bass.

4. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

'66 Fender Vibrolux Reverb
    Celestion G10 Alinco Gold and Greenback Speakers
    Sovtek 5881 Power Tubes
    Hammond Output Transformer
    Dr. Z Brake-Lite Attenuator

[​IMG]

'57 Strat Reissue with Burns Mini Tri-Sonic Pickups and Kahler Locking Whammy System.

[​IMG]

I rewired my Strat to have a 2-way kill switch in the lower cutaway; the middle "tone control" is actually a switch that converts the pickup wiring between series/parallel and also can pull out to invert the phase of the middle pickup. The neck pickup is wired out of phase and the bottom tone control has been converted into a master tone control.

There is no object I care more about in this world than that guitar.

[​IMG]

My pedalboard (Left to right):

1. Custom Vibrato/Reverb switch box for the Vibrolux Reverb. It also acts as a splitter to send the clean guitar signal to the tuner to keep the tuner out of the signal chain.
    2. Custom Fuzzbox that can switch between a Dallas Arbiter Fuzzface and a Sola-Sound Mark II Tonebender Fuzz. Germanium Transistors.
    3. Electro-Harmonix Small Stone Nano Phase Shifter
    4. TC Electronic Flashback Delay/Looper
    5. Digitech WH-5 Whammy
    6. Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Wah

bluesky likes this.
  5. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Well, photosuckit sapped a bunch of good pics; so, here's another.

I agreed to play again for friends of a friend. And so, I pulled this out (not wanting to go full monty). Had to blow off a lot of dust. It is the dreaded reissue Vox AC30CC2. I hated this amp when I first got it. It blew it's rectifier tube within a month of it's arrival. It took a lot to get it to sound decent. I ended up replacing every tube in it. It now runs a "Yellow Bolt" Sylvania in V1, a GE JAN med. plate in V2 and I'm about to replace V3, again, from an EI (to good for this position) to... I don't know what. The rectifier tube is another Sovtek GZ34 (apparently from a much better batch). The Wharfdale's were tossed in favor of a pair of Celestion G12H 30W 70th Anniversary's. I'm pretty sure I had to slightly modify the cab to fit the magnets in there. It actually sounds pretty good.................... now. Would I recommend this amp? Having an AC30/6 TB clone, I would have to say, "No."

The little yellow post it note on top is a reminder of what tubes I've put in it.
    [​IMG]

PhilBiker likes this.
  6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

What is it about those Vox amps that give them that 'chime-y' sound? I have a little one --a cheap reissue with a good speaker in it- and it has that character too. It's a great sound.

56GoldTop likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

As an amp builder (but not a circuit designer), I'd have to guess that it's the combination of the voicing of the circuit and the entire circuit, itself.

My AC30/6 TB clone sounds so good, I've put it in the witness protection program. Unfortunately, the guru who built this one has gone off the grid. If I want another one like it, I'll have to build it myself.

[​IMG]

Deacon Blues, PhilBiker and Bill Hart like this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

This is the exact same Twin that I have! I've had mine since 1992. Yes, this thing is a beast. I think my lower back problems might be in part from schlepping this thing around to gigs when I was younger. Sounds great though!

PhilBiker and 56GoldTop like this.
  9. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

Nice. I always preferred the Kahler to the Floyd. The Kahler always stayed in tune much better for me. I finally got Floyd's to behave with a HipShot Tremsetter; but... Now, I don't use bars, at all. Nevertheless, if I had to go back to one, it'd probably be a Kahler.

10. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

How does the Strawberry Blonde sound with the bass?

11. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Ripped out the crappy speakers that came with it back in the 90's, put in some Celestians GT-75's and it's alive!!
    The most simple and best upgrade for this amp. It gets a lot of flack, but it's a great amp with a couple of mod's.

12. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Sounds good, very nice tone with my P-Bass at home.

13. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

Thanks. So the single locking Kahler stayed in better tune for you than the double locking Floyd?

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'll unfortunately most likely have to put my custom-made one-of-a-kind JTM45 up for sale.

Harbeths aren't cheap. :(

15. Joe Monteiro

Joe Monteiro Forum Resident

Sweet. Love the Boogies!

Tullman likes this.
  16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I have an identical-looking Tremolux!, although I think mine's a 1963.

[​IMG]

I have the cabinet, too. Mine appears to be in slightly less clean condition than yours. It's been out of commission for several years (needs a re-cap job) but when it's working it sounds magnificent! I bought it in 1976 from a guy who worked at the art museum in La Jolla, California. I met him at the empty museum auditorium and he let me play it full blast in that nice big room with all that natural echo. It sounded incredible! I paid for it with sacks of change I had been collecting.

17. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

How can I find out how old my amplifier is?

18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

That's interesting. I just had a peek at the tube chart - it's partly obscured but the tubes, but I don't see a stamped code. I'll open it up later and see what's on it or on the transformer. I don't specifically remember doing it, but I may have already gone through this exercise years ago and determined it was a '63 at that time.

Thanks!

RDriftwood likes this.
  19. JCRW

JCRW Forum Resident

This has been my amp of choice the last 2 1/2 years.

[​IMG]

trd and RDriftwood like this.
  20. RDriftwood

The tube chart date codes on my Fender Bassman... NA: N = 1964 - A = January.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vintage guitar dealer who sold me this amp reported that it was previously owned by Bob McNitt, Guitar Tech for Emerson, Lake & Palmer in the ‘70’s. However, I have no way to verify or prove that. No big deal, it's still a great amp.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Crungy, trd, revolversoul and 2 others like this.
  21. bscepter

bscepter Well-Known Member

I have several, but I mainly use two, depending on the gig: a hand-wired Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue and a Valvetech Hayseed 30 (a '63 Vox AC30 clone).

RDriftwood likes this.
  22. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

You got me curious enough to make me take the back cover off...

[​IMG]

I can just barely make out the stamped code "MC", which indicates March 1963. I probably didn't use this method before, but however I figured it out, I was right!

I gotta get this thing fixed. If I knew someone I'd trust to work on an amp of this vintage, I'd have it done right away.

RDriftwood likes this.
  23. RDriftwood

I found my amp and guitar techs (both are geniuses) by talking to a vintage guitar dealer in my area. Maybe you could find someone to work on your amp the same way. gbase.com has a dealer locator function that might help you find a dealer in your area who could recommend a good tech. Find Dealers - near boston | Gbase.com > Guitars Amps & More

24. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

Fender Blues Jnr Tweed

25. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Roland Blues Cube Artist. Just a fantastic amp. The most versatile amp I’ve ever owned.

Vox AC 15. Only a real vox can break up early and have “that” sound

Epiphone blues Jr head and cabinet stack. Great for clean tones. Great amp with my Gibson p90 archtop .

I just sold an old Roland Jazz Chorus 55. As clean as they come. If I played with lots of Chorus, I would have kept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.