Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

I bought a 16 watt Carr Mercury V (as in Victor) last year and couldn't be happier. I was a Mesa man for years and have owned Roland & Carvins as well. This one takes the cake. The attenuator is amazing for low levels and kick it in to full power at gigs and rehearsals. I never get it up past 1/2 way on the full power setting. Super creamy gain. Best sounding amp I've ever had or heard.

http://carramps.com/sites/default/files/photos/amps/Mercury V luna.jpg

revolversoul likes this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

For the few songs in their set where Greg Lake played electric guitar, he used Fender Concert amplifiers. At one point he had a steel rack holding four of them on stage - two brownface and two blackface ones.

RDriftwood likes this.
  3. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Oh, there's a picture:

[​IMG]

I wasn't expecting to find one.

Is one of those a Showman in a Concert cabinet?

When I saw them he was using Alembic instruments for both guitar and bass.

4. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

As a teenager in the 80’s, I was surprised to learn that many of those huge Marshall speaker stacks were just for looks and were gutted to keep lite. Even many of the amp heads just had power going to the front power light.

A person I worked at a fast food joint worked security and told me such.

I read many years later, one guitarist had a Fender mic’d Back stage but had the fake Marshall’s stacked on stage. Maybe it was Mick Mars, not certain.

RDriftwood likes this.
  5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

These are the amps of Ned

early '60s Fender Deluxe
    [​IMG]

1967-ish Fender Bassman
    [​IMG]

Fender Champ reissue with Weber driver
    [​IMG]

samsondale, 56GoldTop, trd and 2 others like this.
  6. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

[​IMG]

'69 Fender Super Reverb (drip edge design)

[​IMG]

7. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

8. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

9. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

[​IMG]

Do a net search for "fake Marshall amps" and you will find many more pics like this.

acdc7369, bluesky and Fox67 like this.
  10. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

The amp design before yours (6G9-A) had a 1 X 10 cab with a tone ring and the design before that (6G9) had 6BQ5 power tubes. The one after yours was a blackface design

RDriftwood likes this.
  11. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I'm about to go semi- to full-digital via a Line 6 Helix. 3 or 4 times a year I play in a situation where everything goes into the PA, no amps allowed. A few times a year I play through a Vox AC-15CC1 or a Fender Blues Junior with a Boss pedalboard, through a Mesa Boogie 2x12 cabinet, if space, stage volume, and cartage allows. The Helix will be able to be used in either situation - as a DI amp or as a programmable pedalboard.

I value flexibility and variety over looking for a mythical "most righteous tone" that will never be found. Tube amps are great and I will always have a few, but they're unreliable, they don't scale well, and they're too big and heavy.

12. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Interesting! I'm aware of the earlier design, and I think I've seen pictures of a blackface Tremolux, but I assumed it was the same circuit as Steve's and my brownface.

I may have never re-tubed this amp - I've never heard of a GZ34 tube. I see they are still available.

13. RDriftwood

RDriftwood Vintage Member

GZ34 is the same as a 5AR4 rectifier tube. Many are marked 5AR4/GZ34 or GZ34/5AR4.

14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Roy Goode in Arlington is THE guy in the Boston area. Unfortunately I don't have his contact info anymore and he keeps a low profile, due to the demand.

[edit] google "Roy M Goode Arlington MA" and you will find his phone number.

Sometimes there is an actual date stamped inside the cabinet too. My October '63 date code Bandmaster has an October date inside the head and a November date inside the speaker cab.

RDriftwood likes this.
  15. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Get the cap job done first....don't re-tube right away as you may have some great vintage tubes in that amp that still have life to them. If anything have the tubes tested.

RDriftwood and action pact like this.
  16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I have a black one, but it's not all I got.

I have an 80's Fender Champ and a Fender Frontman 25R.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I bet that sounds great for bedroom practicing.

A couple of years ago, I responded to a Craig's List ad for a Squier P-Bass for the princely sum of $50, which also included a Fender Rumble 15 amp - probably the ugliest series of amps Fender ever made.

I tried using the amp with the bass and it sounded like poop, way too little bottom end for a bass amp, but - *surprise* - it sounds terrific with guitars, and is perfect for home practice at lower volumes. It sounds even better when I insert my tubed Fender '63 Reverb reissue in front.

[​IMG]

RDriftwood likes this.
  18. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Late 60's non-tolex, RRII and Marshall C5-01

samsondale, RDriftwood and chahooa like this.
  19. I need me a good tube amp. I don't have photos, but I'm pretty much stuck with a 10w Fender Champion at the moment. It's great for jamming in a small room but I can't play out with it.

RDriftwood likes this.
  20. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I have a handful of amps for different scenarios. My lastest toy is the EVH 5150III seen here with my Bassbreaker 15. Love them both.

[​IMG]

Shiver, RDriftwood and Synthfreek like this.
  21. bgart13

bgart13 Forum Resident

I have a Fender Super Reverb amp my uncle/godfather gave me ages ago (it's on a "use this till I need it" loan, but it's been over twenty years already...). This isn't mine, I don't have a picture handy, but this appears to be the same model/year.

Fender Super Reverb-Amp 1969 Black

RDriftwood and thxphotog like this.
  22. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Ahhh... the Rock 'N Roll Show. Cracks me up! But, I'm of the Eric Johnson guitar school of thought; so, if you see me onstage standing in front of my Marshalls... watch my pants... they're real... and they're on. :D :laugh:

thxphotog and RDriftwood like this.
  23. Three quid

Three quid Chief Eggplant

Silvertone 1484

RDriftwood likes this.
  24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I've always wanted to try a Hiwatt, for lead, since I only use a modest amount of amp gain with a pre-amp pedal in front of the head.

RDriftwood likes this.
  25. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

BUT... this is the amp I really want!!!!!

RDriftwood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.