Electric guitarists, what amplifier do you use? Photos, please!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

totally agree

2. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Wow, holy grail amp there! 1st combo with on board tremelo, correct? I'm curious, that "lip Print" type stain on the left top of the photo, I've read that that was pitch/tar from the pine knots soaking through the early brown tolex, is that the case?

3. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

I've also read the pine resin theory, but I don't know if it's true. There were actually a few Fender amps with tremolo before this - the tweed Vibrolux and Tremolux.

4. Jim in Houston

I have a few I was lucky enough to find before prices went crazy.

Tweeds: L-R '55 Narrow Panel Princeton, '58 Narrow Panel Pro, '51 TV Front Pro formerly owned by Dusty Stuart, Hank Thompson's steel player, '53 Wide Panel Deluxe.
    DSCN1271[1].jpeg

Blackfaces: Top-bottom/L-R
    '67 Vibrolux Reverb, Nov. '63 Vibroverb, '66 Deluxe Reverb, '66 Super Reverb (4x10" CTS Alnicos), '65 Tremolux.
    DSCN1273[1].jpeg

5. Jim in Houston

Right, I was thinking the Vibrolux Reverb as the 1st combo to have on board Reverb. The Brown Vibroverb was a 1-12", correct? My BF Vibroverb is the 1-15".

6. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Amazing collection Jim! Very jealous here.... :)

7. enocaster

enocaster Well-Known Member

Brown Vibroverb's have 2-10" speakers. Now THAT is a grail amp. Very rare and desirable, much rarer than my Vibrolux. Great collection, BTW!

8. Boulder Bob

really nice collection - nice Harmony bass - makes me think of Muff Winwood

9. Jim in Houston

Thanks Bob, it's surprising how prolific that bass is in old photos and clips once you're looking for it.

I bought the bass and the tweed Princeton back in '85 at a HPD unclaimed property auction. My girlfriend at the time worked for the city and sent me to buy some bicycles. There were hundreds of bicycles that were recovered and never claimed. I got the bass for $40 and the Princeton for $95 but the Princeton had three shure mics and a mucic stand in it so I always figured I paid $50 for the amp and $15 a piece for the mics. I used those mics for years til they got flooded in 2001.

10. Jim in Houston

Boy my Fender knowlege has really gone down hill. When I was actively buying I knew all the specs. I gave up when I saw the 1st $1000 BF Princeton Reverb. (you'll notice I don't have one)

11. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

12. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

I've been using this one lately. Not exactly a stack of nine AC-30s, but it's getting the job done.

bms.jpg

VOXBrianMaySpecial.jpg

bms_controls.jpg

vox_vbm1.jpg

13. Snashforce

Snashforce Living Stereo

14. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Yowza. And tell us about the guitars? The butterscotch Telecaster looks like my dream guitar. :)

15. Jim in Houston

The Butterscotch is a '98/'52 reissue with Callaham intimated saddles. I could go into more detail about the others but I don't want to threadcrap. If a Gort says OK I can make it brief. :)

16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

My main amp now is UK made AC15TBX with the Celestion blue Alnico speaker. Also modded with Mercury magnetics transformers. Love the sound of this amp.
    [​IMG]

I also have an 1979 Marshall 50W half stack. Replaced the 6550 tubes for EL34s and a few other mods. Sounds great and very loud, but I only use it as a bass amp, at lower volumes of course. The cab has those Rola Grey back Celestions. Great amp for moving things around :) .

17. Dr Faustus

Dr Faustus A younger man now getting old

amp.jpg

Just picked this up over the weekend. It's not much compared to the great amps a lot of you have, but it's my first sort of proper amp.

18. Django

Django Forum Resident

I don't have a camera

JCM800 4211 2x12 combo
    Blackstar HT40 1X12 combo

19. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

This is a real cool thread. :thumbsup:

A few more from the corral. Nothing fancy. Here's a little Dean Markley solid state combo, made in the USA. Picked it up at a Goodwill for $7 in good working condition. It's posing with my AS Tele.

[​IMG]

EPI Valve Junior Combo & Head

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SWR Strawberry Blonde. I use it with my Ovation acoustic, but mostly with my AS P-Bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Boulder Bob

I also have one of these (along with a 65 AC30 TB). I put a Celestion Blue in mine as well. Can you describe what the transformers did to the amp, sonically?

21. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

The transformers and other circuit mods opened up the sound of the amp. It seemed to me that prior to the mods, it was like a blanket was thrown over the amp, and after it just breathed more.

The person who did the mods is Don Butler. Here's his website and what he does to these amps: http://tone-man.com/amplifier-service.html

Basic Starting Prices for Reissue Amp Mods: AC-15: Replace signal path components, reduce filtering, replace output tranny with Mercury Axiom clone and add a Mercury Axiom choke. Convert rectifier to accommodate GZ-34 as well as the stock 5Y3 $395 AC-15CC: $350

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

'63 Fender Deluxe-Amp (non-reverb blackface)
    '65 Fender Champ-Amp
    '66 Vox Cambridge Reverb (tube)
    Replica of 18-Watt Marshal "1974"
    Replica of Vox AC15 (still under construction)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Boulder Bob

thanks - I have bought Pyramid strings from Don and was aware of his mods

24. Catywampus

Catywampus Forum Resident

My favorite from the herd: 1960 Gibson GA-18T (with original Jensen 10" from 1959.)

ga-18t.jpg

25. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Fender Excelsior

[​IMG]

action pact, cat9, dhoffa85 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.