Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Electric Light Orchestra "Out Of The Blue" new remastered CD sounds good

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Guys,

The new remaster by Joseph M. Palmaccio sounds the most like the master tape than any of the other CD versions out there.

I've played the two disc JPN set, the single JPN set, the J. G. remastering, the LP Stan Ricker cut and the new CD version.

For tonality, the new version sounds the most like the original tapes. It actually has some breath of life in the midrange. Is it how I would have done it? No, but it's definitely the BEST of them, tonality wise. The JPN disc if it was still in print and easy to find/cheap to buy I would recommend. But, it's not, so.....

You asked, I answered!

Try this EQ fix for this new version:

-2@10k
    -2@75 cycles.

That might help.

Also sounds like the waveforms are clipped in spots...

Remember, it's not my style of mastering but then I didn't have to answer to Jeff Lynne when I mastered the DCC Gold CD of ELDORADO......

-----------------------
    Let's take the fourth track, what's it called? "Over The Border" or whatever? Listen to the hi-hat intro at the beginning. Notice it's less nasty on the new version? When the drums come in on the "In the heat of the day many miles away...." part on the JPN and Joe G. version the drums sound thin but on the new remaster they have a much fuller sound and you can clearly hear the "room" around them. That's a good thing!

DISCLAIMER:

Every stereo system sounds different so with this tricky sounding record no one system will ever get it played back right; too many weird sound anomalies in the mix/mastering.

If this is the version that is now out there, don't be afraid to buy it is what I'm sayin'.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

WOW...I've got to say that I'm TOTALLY shocked that you think that this new one beats the "single" Japanese CD pressing!

This could be the ONE time, that I'm going to have to say that I hear otherwise, but thanks for your input!

Chris C

3. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Forum Resident

Thanks Steve! :wave:

4. Steve Hoffman

No prob.

I like the sound of the single JPN disc, I play it all the time now but this new version sounds more like the actual tapes.

For those of us who don't have the $$ or the wherewithall to find the old disc, this will do.

Try this EQ fix for this new version:

-2@10k
    -2@75 cycles.

That might help.

Also sounds like the waveforms are clipped in spots...

At any rate, that's my story.

5. Johnny Connor

Johnny Connor New Member

Thanks for validating my true feeling about the OOTB remaster.:edthumbs:

6. tspit74

tspit74 Forum Resident

Thanks Steve!

Now I don't feel as guilty saying I liked it all along when others were bashing it. It's not perfect by any means, but it certainly is valid, which is the point I was trying to make in the previous thread.

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG Nation!

I'll have to pull it out tonight. Thanks Steve! :)

8. pdenny

pdenny 19-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Frankly I was afraid to say anything after picking up the remaster a few days ago...been playing it constantly, ecstatically. Thought my tin ears were deceiving me as to how wonderful it sounds. Nice to know you approve, Steve. :thumbsup:

9. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

I tend to keep most of my thoughts as to sound quality to myself, but I agree! I'm lovin' the sound of this disc. I even managed to find the cool packaged one :)

10. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Looks like this'll be out of stock soon.;)

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

This was an extremely well-recorded album to begin with....I only have a Japan vinyl pressing, but it sounds wonderful!

Thanks for your two cents, Steve.

Evan

12. Steve Hoffman

No prob. Remember, two cents is exactly what it's worth.

Every stereo system sounds different so with this tricky sounding record no one system will ever get it played back right; too many weird sound anomalies in the mix/mastering.

If this is the version that is now out there, don't be afraid to buy it is what I'm sayin'.

13. Chris C

No question that I agree that the new one is VERY good, although with some faults and for anybody unable to acquire the "single" Japanese CD, I highly recommend the new one myself!

I should mention that I've never heard the MASTER TAPES, so I'm sure that Steve has an ear up, on that fact alone, but, going by all the versions that I've heard, that were released, I go with the Japanese 42DP 479.

Chris C

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Can't recall, was this a "Mack" job? His stuff always has some weird funkiness in the sound.

15. joelee

joelee Senior Member

This is great news. It's rare a new remaster from a major gets a favorable review from trusted ears.

16. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

Good to hear. No need to hunt down those old Japan CDs then. Where does the Stan Ricker LP stand in all of this? I've only done quick comparisons but I thought it was still better; at the very least, there's no limiting (there is a little on the remaster).

edit: I'd agree that the midrange IS pretty good on the remaster, even if the bass is a little muddy.

17. Steve Hoffman

Note this in my first post. Try it for yourself:

Let's take the fourth track, what's it called? "Over The Border" or whatever? Listen to the hi-hat intro at the beginning. Notice it's less nasty on the new version? When the drums come in on the "In the heat of the day many miles away...." part on the JPN and Joe version the drums sound thin but on the new remaster they have a much fuller sound and you can clearly hear the "room" around them. That's a good thing!

18. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, on your system, is one channel louder than the other at times? If so, is this just how the recording or mixing was done originally? Also, there's some tape dropouts here and there, do you recall hearing this on the masters? Thanks, Ron

19. bob2935

bob2935 Active Member

I'm so glad Ron asked first and I hope my comments in the other thread were not considered bashing. Even though I prefer brighter masterings, I completely agree that the new remaster sounds good and it makes sense that Steve would approve of it. But what shape is the tape in? Dropouts? Night In The City?
    Bob.

20. Chris C

TRUE...I did mention in the other thread regarding this new release, that that opening was really clear and that you can hear the scratches of the vinyl used for the sound effects, at the beginning. My problem with the "new" Joe CD vs. the old "single" Japanese is, that not ALL of the tracks sound as clear, as "Across The Border", so it's a bit hit or miss for me. I really think that side three of the album, "Concerto For A Rainy Day" is a bit muddy on Joe's new version, as compared to the "single" Japanese CD.

I also wish that I had YOUR sound system, which I'm sure makes EVERYTHING sound different, as to what things sound like on a system like mine. I do, however, stand by my sound system and trust my knowledge and love of this recording to make my claims!

Chris C

21. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

Very interesting. Did you find that the two disc JPN set is a different mastering from the single JPN set or essentially the same mastering split between two cd's?

Thank you

22. Liquid Snake

Liquid Snake Member

OK, I did a more in-depth comparison of the Stan Ricker LP and the new remaster. Now I'm not so sure the LP is better. Funny, but the remaster sounds more "3D"...the LP sounds flat like a picture on the wall. It also has better mids (listen to the vocals) while the LP sounds a little weak there in comparison. As far as the limiting goes, it's pretty light by modern standards - light enough that I didn't notice it during listening. Also, I didn't hear any dropouts or other such issues that I didn't also hear on the LP. So the only issue I have with the remaster is the muddy bass and slightly boosted highs - and this can be EQ'd out to some extent with Steve's suggestions. Overall, thumbs up for the remaster.

23. Thanks Steve for your insight! My camparison is primarily with the SR/2 vinyl. I like your "tweak" suggestion. :righton:
    My biggest "concern" was the editing sounds/dropouts (or fadeouts or EQ-outs or whatever we want to call them today) - but these tapes are 30 yrs old! There's going to obviously be more anomalies today than 30 yrs ago. As far as detail, I do hear similar stuff on the vinyl - but it's clearer on the CD. (Let's hope so!) I guess maybe I had hoped for "too much" with all the anticipation and "hoopla" surrounding this album. It is true the compression isn't as bad as some releases out there, today - but my personal taste would be for even less than was used. :sigh: At least it does sound as noise reductions weren't heavily used. :righton: I still get the feeling from listening that some of the songs were remastered at one time and others at another time. I can't explain it - maybe it's a bit of an EQ thing - but some tracks sound "this way" and others sound "that way". It might have to do with all the production/editing Jeff did originally and it's more apparent now on this CD.
    Anyway, thanks again for your insight. Maybe we can wiggle "Stan The Man" for some stories about meeting Jeff and doing the half speed mastering! :goodie:

-Bill

24. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

I'll take Steve's word that the new remastered "Out of The Blue" is truer to the sound of the original master tapes.Still,it is sonicly tremendously different to my previous CD edition(a "Jet" label Netherlands 2-CD set CDJET 400,which sounded very similar to my long-gone original U.S.A. Jet/UA vinyl edition).
    The new remaster may have more lows,but lacks the clarity on the cymbals,which were a trademark of the album,in all its' previous incarnations.

25. Steve Hoffman

It lacks clarity on the cymbals? :confused:

My bleeding ears tell me differently.