Electric Recording Company (ERC) to Release The Doors self-titled Mono LP Mix on Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, May 5, 2022.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It is confusing. I didn't realize I was using a LEDO stereo for the first album. It was reboxed so many times the original meaning was lost. But I was clued to this by someone who knows all. Not sure why the stereo mix sounds so much better than the mono mix of the first album.

STRANGE DAYS on the other hand is nicely covered, original mono SS reel, matching LEDO reel, original stereo SS reel, original SS produced 1:1 safety, stereo LEDO and original 8 channel. Wonder why they didn't pick THAT one to do?

2. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Well, almost always true. One Steps, UHQR’s…no one is going to say anything other than stunning after getting fleeced price wise…

3. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

Maybe they will now that it looks like the S/T was pulled............

4. LOL what ever you say, boss. I couldn’t disagree more but you are certainly welcome to judge others as you please.

Tullman likes this.
  5. Did you read Steve’s posts above yours? For this particular album the LEDOs seem to be the de facto original tapes, as nothing has been cut from anything of a higher generation.

Chemguy likes this.
  6. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Ah, this is an opinion site. Take a chill man

mpayan likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

I'm sorry: SS. No, not the Nazi SS. SS: Sunset Sound.

grx8, McLover, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  8. finn

finn Forum Resident

I don’t think it’s been “pulled”, I don’t think it was ever available to the general populace as the opportunity to purchase it was by invite only and unique for every email sent and as such, didn’t actually appear in the normal ERC pages.
    I can see this becoming the norm now they have a sufficiently large client base as it eliminates the disappointment of regular buyers missing out due to the feeding frenzy on particular titles by one off purchases and then the obvious reselling of sealed units on Discogs.

9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I’m glad they did it, because now I see how douchie they actually are.

10. morwells

morwells Forum Resident

I think it has most def been pulled. The email address for the Doors inquiry bounces back now. Its not even working. And for the White Stripes and John Coltrane which they did the same email inquiry thing, the email was always working, the posts were never taken down and they are still up in the news section whereas the Doors is gone completely,

11. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

It kinda seems like they don’t socialize, interact or have connections with many outside their circle. Like it’s an insular business model. They learn as they go along. With single mindedness. Kinda Silicon Valley type of philosophy. Problem is it’s a physical product. Not virtual. They need experienced people to communicate with maybe? Or just more openness and old style business sense.

12. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

E.R.C. does not need to do one thing different. Very little overhead, a studio rental and some office space, probably a small warehouse space (b/c everything is sold-through), a handful of employees, all via e-commerce. One album a month. It's a dream gig for Hutchison; does what he wants. Producer/A&R/shaman. I've heard amazing product from this source, but my interests are more in line with the orig. mission of E.R.C., which still reissues half of its titles as classical genre. As for The Doors s/t mono being 'pulled', we'll see. If one requested an allotment, I'm sure the news will come within a month. The mystery does not hurt; it helps. No one who has had a problem with a defect of disk or sleeve has ever been boned. If an honest effort on the part of customer has been to get it fixed.

Shawn, Greenalishi, Tommyboy and 2 others like this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They don't really need to bother. Runs of only 300 that sell out straight away. Unless they go more mainstream with lower prices and 5000 record runs there is no point in spending on public relations. I believe it is practically a one man operation in any case. This thread is more than enough publicity for them even if it's 80% negative. it would make sense to utilise the cutting system on more releases ( maybe for other labels) but clearly they are not out to maximise income in spite of the high prices asked. Charging £300 for rare classical titles that are actually cheaper than originals makes perfect sense. Their blues and rock titles certainly do not given the titles / sources they have used plus the alternative versions still in print.

14. Steve Hoffman

Well, if ERC withdrew the first DOORS album, I hope they will do another one instead.

I'd love to hear LA WOMAN or STRANGE DAYS, even SOFT PARADE or WAITING FOR THE SUN etc. using their vacuum tube cutting process.

I am also totally sure that ERC had NO idea what "LEDO" meant as probably the current people at Elektra don't. Can't blame anyone. It's institutional memory that has been almost lost over time. Only weirdos like me, Bill Inglot and a few others know about this stuff.. (And now you, of course.)

I'm also now 100% percent sure that I was the one that nixed this release by blabbing on this thread.

That being said, there are people in the world who know the history of Elektra and if it was discovered after the album had been pressed and sold out, it might have left a bad taste out there. So, onward.

troggy, McLover, ODShowtime and 22 others like this.
  15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Thanks Steve for the insights
    An easy pass

The debut is actually the weakest sounding Analog Productions stereo 45 and it sounds incredible

Pleased to save money which I have already spent on a few upcoming big box sets

Wilco 11 lp deluxe Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

Grateful Dead 24 lp Euro London 72
    4 shows for the price of that one ERC lp

Soundslave and Greenalishi like this.
  16. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I doubt it. He’s got much better things to spend half-a-grand on.

troggy likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Get the DCC instead. :)

McLover and Fruff76 like this.
  18. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I just got a copy of your DCC- EFFIN Solid man. Thanks for your hard work.

19. Steve Hoffman

Great, enjoy it, and thanks for your kind words..

Soundslave and Fruff76 like this.
  20. Captain Rogers

All right thanks for clarifying. I had read that Botnick or at least I think it was Botnick or maybe it was you had said that master was never used. It's always been a LEDO. I've been trying to get clarification recently and now I know your DCC was cut from the LEDO (blasting the DCC as I'm writing this). So the "master, master" is just sitting some where in a warehouse, thrown out with pizza boxes or most likely lost. Also thanks for clarifying the ST was also a dub of the LEDO. In a video with Bernie, Chad pulled out your DCC and mentioned that AP was maybe having Bernie " do something with this, just a little surprise". Wonder what it could be. Any guesses? I figure since you had access to the archives in some degree you might be able to piece this mystery together. Or at least clues...

Soundslave likes this.
  21. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I knew I should’ve jumped on this in the 90’s.

supermd, marklamb and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. Interesting thread from 2008 on the Doors LEDO tapes for the s/t and Strange Days albums. Considering what Steve shared in this thread a lot of what's written about the s/t is inaccurate but good info on Strange Days and LEDO tapes as well as early pressing of these LPs in general:

The Doors first 2 LPs: Finding copies cut from master tapes....

23. Captain Rogers

Agreed, I especially like the news about the 8 channel Strange Days. Sadly I doubt that the Atmos was sourced from that.

Soundslave and Shawn like this.
  24. coz77

coz77 Active Member

I got an email that it's still on and the allocations should be out in a couple of weeks.

supermd, finn, Soundslave and 2 others like this.
  25. Captain Rogers

Wow, let us know how it sounds

Soundslave likes this.