Electronic Music Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Feathers, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Nice one, and Laika's later album of the same name in 1994 is a big favorite too, though not entirely electronic-based music, more in the trip-hop style with jazz and electronic influences, and it has vocals too, but still sounds well ahead of it's time, and fresh even today.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

I guess I'm into more modern electronic music if the earlier diatribe was apropos Tangerine Dream and Vangelis.

My passions are Luke Slater, Aphex Twin, Sven Vath, Laurent Garnier and duos like Autechre!

jimmydean and Footsurg like this.
  3. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Yellow Magic Orchestra - you'll probably like their early albums - all on Spotify and Apple Music
    Ryuichi Sakamoto Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence soundtrack is an electronic classic
    Richard Barbieri Planets + Persona

trickness likes this.
  4. This appears like that punk thread were the OP never responded again.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Davey

Well, ya know, it is Thanksgiving here in the US, not everyone can sneak in as much SHTV music talk time as you and me :)

6. Don't I know it

Tajine in the oven

Happy Thanksgiving

Davey likes this.
  7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Thanks for posting this track. It led me to seek out the rest of the album, and upon further listening I'm now thinking further explorations in the back catalog will be in order. Great music!

8. Davey

Yea, it really is a good album, got some good press and a few people around here fell for it too, but probably not the attention it really warrants. Most of us could say that about a lot of records these days, though. I've been listening a lot to the new Faten Kanaan Foxes record recently, she uses a lot of vintage analog synths, very pastoral sounding with lots of expression and textures in the electronics, and she sings some too. The latest from Sarah Davachi is beautiful too, electro-acoustic-organic-nocturnal visions, Let Night Come on Bells End the Day...

9. Dapper Zoom

Dapper Zoom 私以外私じゃないの

I'd recommend Infected Mushroom for progressive electronic that is somewhat experimental and uses a lot of interesting synthesized sounds and compositional techniques.

And The Flashbulb for nicely composed electronic music that tends to appeal to classical/jazz audiences.

Footsurg likes this.
  10. Davey

BTW, just saw that Sarah Davachi got album of the year at ACL 2018 ~ The Top 20 Albums of the Year and another big favorite in Ian Willian Craig came in second. The Michael Price album they list is also very nice, I've posted about it around here too, and they also called Rival Consoles the best electronic album in one of the other lists leading up to the top 20 overall... ACL 2018 ~ Top Ten Electronic

11. Mookie Burnett

Mookie Burnett Well-Known Member

Oenyaw: "Leave That World Behind".
    1 out of 60. The other 59 may be available soon.

12. Silverwolf

Silverwolf Occasional Esoteric Freak

The Orb - No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds.

A few fillers (I usually start at track 2) but most of the tracks on here are excellent - Old Orb meets New Orb.

From a sound point of view, this is a stellar album. The dynamic range isn’t fantastic (DR 9 apparently), but it’s pretty good for a new album, and it’s so well produced it’s really crankable. Thought has gone into the sound design for want of a better phrase. For this alone try it, even you don’t like the music it might surprise you!

Maurice likes this.
  13. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Scorpio Rising (LP/CD) - Death in Vegas

This particular release also features a number of guest vocalists, along w/electronics-only.
    First song "Leather" electro-only. I particularly enjoy title track w/Liam Gallagher (Oasis) doing vocals (yes to the other song/no spoils/much better, IMO/
    That's not CP/lp cover-art. I have it.) & "Hands Around My Throat" (that is album cover). Will include links for them, underneath clip.
    Enjoy!! :righton: Any who enjoy, I hope you'll be kind enough to give me a "like"...silly "validation-seeking! :rolleyes::laugh:

Death in vegas-Scorpio Rising
    Death in Vegas - Hands Around My Throat

Silverwolf likes this.
  14. Silverwolf

I like Death In Vegas too. Check out Stereolab if you don’t know them..

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  15. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

Could be danish composer Klaus Schønning's 1979 album "Lydglimt" is right up your alley... pure analogue synth bliss!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  16. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

+1 for Autechre

Something you should really check out is anything done by the late Pete Namlook (Peter Kuhlman) on his own fax label. It is kind of heavy stuff deeply inspired and mostly composed on Moog instruments. Pretty trippy to say the least. A couple of my favorites below. Most of the fax covers have a similar appearance to what you see.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Maurice likes this.
  17. Silverwolf

Try Shpongle - Codex VI

I don’t like the first track personally, but the rest is excellent.
    It’s got a splattering of quirky, cheesy, and ‘deep’ vocal samples but as ever they get away with it. It’s quite stripped bare for this band but has an earthy, heavy feel that’s really works.
    This album is very crankable. The bass is excellent - the bass ports on my small Dynaudio speakers push a serious amount of air out when playing this album. I’d love to hear it in a big room with decent floorstanding speakers and a quality sub..

18. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Electronic music of all kinds, both old and new, probably represents way more than half of my music collection. Of the new releases I've picked up in recent months, I've really liked:

Emika - Falling In Love With Sadness
    King Midas Sound - Solitude
    Modeselektor - Who Else
    Powder - Powder In Space (DJ mix)
    Factory Floor - Soundtrack For A Film
    Silent Servant - Shadows Of Death And Desire
    The Young Gods - Data Mirage Tangram
    Fennesz - Agora
    The Caretaker - Everywhere At The End Of Time: Stages 4-6
    Apparat - LP5

19. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Look Me In The Eye Sister - Groove Armada

Not space-y; dance-y. 21st Century. (2010) There's Black Light Version & White Light. Entire releases/both/VG+++++!!
    White Light is the one I went with b/c they removed some of the Nick Littlemore vocals which are on Black Light. His vocal styling very unusual.
    White Light is Alternate versions & 1 added song not on Black Light. Clip is Black Light version of 1st song listed; link is White Light version 2nd song listed.
    Hope someone will discover something they like!! :righton:

I Won't Kneel. Both = Fantastic!! (Link underneath vid.)
    :uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh: :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I Won't Kneel

20. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

21. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Ned Lagin

22. Jack Cerro

Jack Cerro Forum Resident

Sylvan Esso

23. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Gooding's "Dreams Without Humans" off his Songs From The Unrealized Film Script Factory Blue CD album...

Really good guitar solo toward the end around 5:25.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  24. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Lazar "Laza" Ristovski Beyond The Horizont (1982)

25. joombo

joombo Forum Resident