Electrosmog- how important is it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LakeMountain, May 20, 2022.

1. Where are you reading this kind of stuff?

2. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

It was in the video someone posted in this thread. I’ve definitely recorded radio stations, but at huge gain, and nowhere near capable of blowing an amp. This is either a tall tale, or an amp designed with embarrassingly idiotic circuiting.

Shawn, Rolltide and Oelewapper like this.
  3. Oscillation

It’s often quite impossible not to use the mains ground. Usually it is just fine. It seems to mostly depend on what other loads it is supporting. The alternative is a dedicated spike in the earth, there is no box that plugs in to your chain that is going to get you off the mains, I’ve seen a lot of bs that claims it will.

4. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Well… it was about a high-end amp, not a high performance amp:biglaugh:

5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer Thread Starter

German stereo magazine, but I can’t remember which one. I am subscribing to three of them. They spend quite often time and effort to go into the basics and physics of dirty power and power conditioning and they also are testing and measuring power filters/conditioning equipment.

6. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

Energy fields pollution is a real thing. But engineers for a long time know how to overcome it: they designed things capable to survive EMP from nuclear blast. Thus everything can be made working properly with external interference. Exclusion of vinyl player from with it's very low signal from playback chain helps here a lot. Though it comes with a price tag, and not compatible with race to the bottom in consumer products price (and correspondingly quality).

Agitater and Shawn like this.
  7. Oscillation

Sorry but this seems highly improbable to me

Agitater likes this.
  8. Oelewapper

Nah. Many vital electronics aren't designed to withstand that... Even cosmic radiation can cause issues in some extremely rare cases.

For example:
    One instance where this happened was during the Belgian elections back in 2003, where a voting computer gave incorrect amount of votes because of a bit flip forced by cosmic radiation.
    Electronic voting in Belgium - Wikipedia

9. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

My point was: if issue is understood and design goal is set - it can be achieved using yesterday's technology.

10. Oelewapper

It's not a matter of technological feasibility, but a matter of economical feasibility.

Uglyversal and LakeMountain like this.
  11. Oscillation

In terms of an EMP blast, yesterdays technology and todays would be roughly the same, if it isn't powered on, it has a chance, however minimal that may be.

12. Oelewapper

Turning equipment off is no guarantee that it's physically disconnected from it's connections... or disconnected enough.
    Even with physical switches that physically disconnect contact from a cable..
    The current induced by powerful EMP can spark over the gap between the switch contacts, similar to that of a lightning strike.

13. Oscillation

Nevertheless, and as I stated, it has a better chance, no matter how vanishingly small that is.

14. Oelewapper

Yep. But the only way to really protect something from an EMP is good shielding. A faraday cage.

15. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

I had EMP experience from closeby lightning strike. Lost multiple electronic devices half of which were not powered. Upon inspection I found at least one trace from spark 40mm long across circuit board, wich left pieces of molted coper along it.

16. tryitfirst

tryitfirst supatrac.com

As far as I understand, in English it is just as acceptable to use the English plural of a Latin word as the Latin plural. Vortices and vortexes are both fine. Do you correct someone who has complexes?

17. I'm not qualified to do that. I would send them to a licensed psychoanalyst. Is this for yourself or for 'someone you know'?

Jimi Floyd, Rolltide and tryitfirst like this.
  18. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

This is probably of interest to you: https://pin1problem.com

19. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

And it's a very real issue.

LakeMountain likes this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not saying it is not. In many cases it's a very significant issue. Some audio gear is more sensitive to it than others is. Even in the 1960's and 1970's.

Curiosity and LakeMountain like this.
  21. LakeMountain

Thanks, but Safari marks it as unsafe and doesn’t let me open it.

22. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on an "electrosmog detector", you know what works equally as well? An AM radio.

Agitater and Curiosity like this.
  23. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

:agree: Some of them sound like pretty crazy stories as there's a 400 Watt Ham transmitter here and my stuff's still standing.

Electromagnetic Pulses can be a problem potentially but we would looking things like nuclear weapons exploding.

Last edited: May 23, 2022
  24. LakeMountain

I have tested now the Gabriel Technology chips that are supposed to “stabilize” chaotic EM interaction. I placed power chips on the circuit breaker on the safety switch board, on the power conditioner and the next to power input of my amp. They also send me some mini chips (0,06 g) for free to test. They could be used on carts, displays, fuses, etc.

Well, I am keeping all of them. I listened for a day to some selected recordings and I liked it. Voices, for example sounded more organic, i.e. got more depth and were better defined.
    I then removed the chips today and while it still sounded great it became just a bit less engaging. When I put the chips back on again the greater magic was back again.

But what surprised me most was when I put mini chips on my cart, 1 on each side, 1 on top and 1 on the pivot end of the arm. I then adjusted VTA for the slightly increased weight. It just added another kick to voices for example. They became better delineated in recordings where voices tend to be a bit snowed under by lots of instrumentation.

Together with signal grounding, which also already resulted in an improvement my set up has now really gone up a level.

For anyone who might be interested in testing, an option could be to order mini chips only and try them on your cart. A set of 19 chips is here 59€. If it improves sound you know this technology works and you could consider testing more chips?

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Snake oilers gonna snake oil...