"Elementary", New CBS Show.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

not perfect ,but I hope it isn't canceled

2. Another good episode the other night although the casting kind of gave the bad guy away. I really wish they would stop with casting popular or well known stars as murders, etc. in shows like this because it's easy to figure out who it is.

3. Agreed, casting a famous actress like that was a dead giveaway to the audience.

4. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Would be nice if the title of this thread could be changed so that it's not so blatantly negative for no reason.

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Agreed.

6. I think that a better title would be "Nothing's 'Elementary' about new series"

7. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have sent a PM to the gorts to close the thread.

My explaination for the attempted humorous title was explained months ago earlier in the thread. Sorry.

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

No need to close the thread. The discussion of the show should be there for those who want to read it and for those who are watching to continue to post to. A thread title change isn't a bad idea, but closing the thread is.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

"close the thread" ... Really?! If there are objections to the thread title can't it just be revised to something relatively simple like, "New CBS Show 'Elementary'", rather than closing the thread altogether?

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Leave off the "new". A year from now the thread will still be used and the show will no longer be "new".

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Agreed. I enjoy it and hope it's renewed for another season, but it is slightly flawed (IMO). Surprisingly, I don't mind the shift in time and place for the setting, nor that 'Watson' is now a women. I think any variation of the Holmes stories can succeed if the show stays true to the core of the characters' personalities. I wish they would eliminate the OCD-ish side of the portrayal of this Holmes. Holmes has a superior intellect - that is why other people find him a bit odd. He does not suffer from an emotional or intellectual disorder. [It also is reminiscient of 'Monk' - which was a derivation of Holmes in the first place - and that character was plagued with emotional and mental health defects. Why copy that?]

I thought the portrayal of the Watson character had been improving since the first episode, but this last episode [bomb in the office air vent/ Holmes searches for an addiction mentor] seemed like that took a few steps backward. I don't really like Watson as a nag. And frankly that's what Liu's Watson is - a nag. I wish they would cut to the chase and develop the story-line so Watson is Holmes full time detective partner. And frankly the premise that she is an addictions companion who lives with her addict clients is preposterous. [I'm waiting for someone to post that that is actually a real job.] And how exactly does being a surgeon [a disgraced surgeon at that] immediately qualify someone as an addictions expert?

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Fine with me, "CBS Show 'Elementary'". Where's a Gort when you need one? :)

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

But TONIGHTS episode of The Good Wife is the best hour in network television!!!! ';)

14. progrocker71

Elementary is my favorite new show from this season, easily. I think it continues to improve with each episode and they are intelligently developing the partnership between Holmes & Watson.

I was definitely skeptical at first but the show has completely won me over.

15. What gets me is the consistency for what amounts to a episodic crime procedural. The show reminds me in many ways of House.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Re. the episode airing Thursday, February 21, 2013 - wealthy people being poisoned by a heredity disease gene / Watson in training

So, there were: (i) the poisoning of wealthy people with a heredity disease gene; (ii) the murder of the female geneticist just before she about to tell Holmes all about the gene poisoning; and (iii) the shooting of the butler of one of the poison victims.

(i) was committed by the business man who ran a lab, who suffered from the heredity disease and used the poisonings as a means to obtain huge donations for his research for a cure.

(ii) was committed by the sociopathic, jealous boyfriend.

(iii) Initially blamed on the poisoned, wealthy man who was the butler's boss, but he couldn't remember doing it - which was blamed on the dementia aspects of the disease he was infected with. Did I miss something because I can't recall a closure on this murder at the end of the show? Was the cause of this death explicitly resolved at the end of the episode?

17. progrocker71

Caused by the dementia or not he did kill his chauffeur so there was nothing that needed to be "solved" by Holmes regarding that.

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Monk' - which was a derivation of Holmes in the first place" I am by no way expert,But I think Monk is way closer to Columbo

19. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

I don't think there was any kind of closure to the butler being murdered other then the rich guy is in jail even though it was unintentional due to his dementia was blamed for it. I thought we'd see some sort of tie in with murder of the security guard and the man who killed him at the begining.

I wonder if Sherlock actually book those tickets to Norway...

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Don't recall Holmes agreeing with that conclusion at the scene when questioning the infected, dementia suffering, wealthy guy. Thought the killer might be the real perpetrator of the poisonings. Obviously the wealthy guy would not be legally culpable if he actually shot the butler due to his dementia.

At the end of the episode it seemed to me like a loose end that Holmes should have either confirmed or corrected.

21. progrocker71

I didn't see it as a loose end. Holmes knew he did it, but it was the "why" he did it that made him agree to investigate the genetic "poisoning". Holmes solved that crime and would have nothing to do with whether the guy was legally culpable or not, that would be for his lawyers to argue, not Holmes. At least that's the way I see it.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Don't recall Holmes ever stating that. That's why I thought of it as a loose end.

I realize the butler's death prompted Holmes' curiosity as to the 'why' of the poisoning conspiracy.

I know.

23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Jonny Lee Miller is a great actor. Hoping this gets renewed...

24. It's guaranteed to get renewed, it has been doing great and pairs up well with Person Of Interest.

25. progrocker71

Went back and re-watched the scene where the chauffeur was found murdered, the police captain tells Holmes that the personal assistant witnessed the shooting (she is shown weeping in background).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.