Elephant Mountain by The Youngbloods Sundazed reissue with bonus tracks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davmar77, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'... Thread Starter

i just pre-ordered mine.this is my favorite youngbloods release.anyone else here a youngbloods fan? i didn't see a thread on this so i hope i'm not duplicating.

2. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

Yes! Darkness, Darkness is one of my all time favor songs. Jesse Colin Young's Soul of a City Boy is also a favorite album of mine. I remember seeing The Youngbloods play outside in Boston and the sound and performance were great.

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I like the silver MFSL version of Elephant Mountain.

I wish they'd release a nice compilation on cd or vinyl, like the 2 lp set This Is The Youngbloods that I wore out.

Attached Files:

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I have the excellent MFSL but will have to add this for the bonus material.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Couldn't agree more! It's a fantastic song.

7. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Jerry,

You might want to check out the "Get Together - The Essential Youngbloods" compilation CD. It is highly regarded by several forum members, including myself, in this thread:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=505470&highlight=essential+youngbloods#post505470

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

8. davmar77

was that the one that included another early release? i think that's the one i have now.

9. Jerry

Thanks Ed!

I do have that cd, but I really liked the order flow on the vinyl. Plus even though there's one more cut on the double lp vs the cd, the cd lacks 5 cuts from "This Is The Youngbloods", including one of their most powerful songs, "Tears Are Falling."

10. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Where was "Elephant Mountain" recorded?

11. Jerry

Pacific High Studios, possibly? Maybe Raccoon Studios? EM was 1969, and I don't think they recorded at Raccon until 1970. I have a great live Youngbloods show from Pacific High, which broadcast some great shows on San Francisco FM back in the 70's.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

And people aren't generally aware that the album was produced by Charlie Daniels!

I have their first album on the Edsel CD release, and also the Get Together comp. I prefer the smoother more relaxed sound of the Edsel personally, but the Get Together is pretty nice.

I recently saw a two-fer CD, believe it was BGO from the UK, of Earth Music and Elephant Mountain. I didn't pick it up as generally the BGO's are a bit bright for my tastes. But it was cheap. I'll pick this current release up if its not compressed and loud, or EQ'd.

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

An album I never bought but mean to rectify. Isn't this album one of Steve's favourites?

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I'm not sure what the track listing is for this, but as someone else intimated, it's possible it could be missing key tracks.

There were only three Youngbloods albums on RCA, and while some of the later stuff is OK, it's this material I consider essential.

If it were me starting out, I would just get the best versions of these three albums I could find.

If you insist upon a comp, this one has the best track selection (note I make no comment whatsoever on sound quality issues, as I'm not qualified to do so):

http://www.amazon.com/Euphoria-1965...r_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1210173731&sr=1-13

As a bonus, this set has all but one of the pre-RCA Youngbloods tracks from the Two Trips LP, which are excellent, as well as the non-LP single "Merry Go Round."

15. davmar77

i think sundazed released that too.

16. thorbs

thorbs Active Member

Just bought another copy last week while out of town. RCA original NM vinyl for $8. The music is worth much more. I also have Steve's mono version of Darkness, Darkness on the Underground Radio vol. 1 set. Killer! But love the stereo version too.

17. Ragu

Ragu Forum Resident

While the track selection on this one is good, I used to have it and the sound quality is nowhere near as good as the Get Together The Essential Youngbloods comp.

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I would have thought that, being on RCA, the Youngbloods would have been required to record one of RCA's studios. But I guess that practice ended at some point. Anybody know for sure where "Elephant Mountain" was recorded? Doesn't it say where on the original lp?

Added Note: Here are the engineer credits:
    Richie Schmidt, Hank Cicalo, Mickey Crofford.

Sounds like RCA Hollywood to me!

19. Moby Grape

Moby Grape Forum Resident

Received my copy of the Sundazed release yesterday. I'm pleased with both the sound and packaging, interesting liner notes as well. Have not compared it to my copy of the MFSL but the Sundazed version is very detailed with better bass than I recall.

20. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Jesse Colin Young

Is now a coffee grower on Hawaii's Big Island, FYI

21. davmar77

just got mine today.looking forward to checking it out later.

22. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I like 'Darkness' and some other three peice Youngbloods but, for me the original four peice, as on 'Get Together' and 'Earth Music' was one of the best bands of the 60s. Jerrry Corbert's gravelly voice and ragtime-rock songwriting complimented Jesse in the same way John complimented Paul, adding a rougher edge to the band. I never understood why he left after two albums. Does anyone know?

23. barzzz

barzzz Forum Resident

I just picked up the sundazed "Elephant Mountain". I had never heard this album before. This is an overlooked masterpiece. Does anyone know how the sundazed compares with the mfsl.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Four comments:

1) As several others have mentioned, Darkness, Darkness is a great song, in fact, one of my favorite songs of all time. Such a beautiful melody and structure to the song . . . the harmonized violins playing the melody at the beginning, and the song is calculated so that it builds and builds in intensity toward a climatic ending (w/ fuzz drenched guitar).

2) I second the Get Together: The Essential Youngbloods as an excellent 21-song collection. According to the insert, it was mastered by Bill Lacey at Digital Sound and Picture, New York. Is anyone familiar with his mastering work? The insert also says it was transferred from the original masters by Kip Smith at Sundazed Studios, New York.

3) I saw Jesse Colin Young at Jeppensen Stadium (in Houston) on a tri-bill (w/ CSN and Beach Boys) in the early 70s.

4) Does anyone here have The Very Best of Jesse Colin Young, which was released in 2005?

http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Jes...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1215399668&sr=1-1

According to the note at Amazon, Jesse personally remastered his solo catalog from the original master tapes for this release.

25. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

According to the liner notes for the Sundazed reissue, that's David Lindley playing the "tear-stained fiddle" on Darkness, Darkness. I never knew that.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.