Elephant Mountain by The Youngbloods Sundazed reissue with bonus tracks!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by davmar77, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Yes and I like it.

Bought this disc JUST for that song and ended getting volume 2 because I enjoyed it so much.

Here is another disc than fans may enjoy. It is special to me because I use to listen to this station back in the day.

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Liv...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1230572224&sr=1-1

2. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

In the radio aircheck/segue into Darkness, Darkness, Tom Donahue refers to a mono Darkness, Darkness but the track itself plays in stereo (at least on my copy of Steve's UNDERGROUND RADIO). But, I agree, a GREAT tune. :righton:

3. I know the MFSL is a beauty but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion regarding the Sundazed reissue from a few years back. Thanks! Great album

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, I just pulled my copy out (thanks ! ), and it sounds great ! Typical Bob Irwin = no disappointment.

5. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I never knew that either, though Discogs confirms. I had read that it was Charlie Daniels who played the fiddle intro to "Darkness, Darkness", as well as produced the album "Elephant Mountain". Perhaps Daniels played fiddle on a different version of "Darkness, Darkness".

It should be noted that Charlie Daniels also had a long lasting association with the (recently late) Jerry Corbitt, who had already left the band before "Elephant Mountain", even recording several albums together as a duo in the 1970s. I have his 1969 solo LP "Corbitt" as well. Christgau actually rated "Corbitt" B+, writing "The Youngbloods have been sounding awfully effete lately, and now we know why. Corbitt took most of their balls when he left. This is fine, tough, and funny, and only occasionally pretentious or precious. It runs slightly short (29:17) but since the production values are exceptionally tight I won't dock it a notch.” That at a time when "Elephant Mountain" was in fresh release(!). Well, Christgau is Christgau, isn't he?

That 1972 2 LP comp "This Is the Youngbloods" was a great one, far superior to the earlier (and very skimpy) single disc "Best of the Youngbloods". Why RCA only released the latter on CD for years is a complete mystery to me. Thank goodness I still have my original near mint copy. That "Get Together" Essential set finally released 2002 is no slouch either, particularly given the excellent sound, but its 21 tracks omits 3 tracks from the 20 track "This Is" compilation. So it's still better to have both, for a total of 24 tracks.

I note that "This Is" is now available on Amazon, but it's on Wounded Bird for whatever that's worth (good for hard to find titles other labels won't release, they don't do their own remastering, using whatever they can get but frequently not half bad, and surly customer service that will leave you convinced that they likely got way too much enjoyment out of wounding that poor bird).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.