Elizabeth Ann Holmes and Theranos

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

10 years, out in 5. Is my expectation.
    Investors are a lot to blame too.
    I personally know of one project that managed to attract hundreds of millions of VC,
    while the tech community in this particular sector already expressed its doubt about its feasibility.

2. No, she has a new rich boyfriend who will pay a 7 figure fine like we pay our monthly mortgage bills (she already paid the half mil settlement to the SEC without pain). She should do jail time, but that seems unlikely. Community service, fines, disbarred from working for a medical device or pharma company for 5-10 years is my guess. If she gets jail time it will be some token amount (serving less than a year). All just my hunch based on working in the industry and tracking similar types of cases.

JediJones and Thwacko like this.
  3. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

The Dropout miniseries on Hulu; looks very interesting.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I started watching the first episode of The Dropout last night.

Idano about these biopics ... every aspect of the script (at least in the beginning) is rather unsubtle Major Foreshadowing Of Things To Come. Doesn't leave a lot of room to be surprised by events later on.

Plus the lead actress looks rather like Jodie Foster IMHO, I kept wondering if she wakes up in the dark and hears the screaming of the lambs :laugh:

I might give the second episode a go, as it's hard to resist a good ol' fashioned morality tale of someone smarter than me falling from grace, but then again ... meh.

--Geoff

8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

This series has been captivating to me. I've see all 4; the next one should air on 3/17/2022.

[​IMG]

9. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

60 Minutes Australia has an update on the Theranos trial:

In short Holmes was convicted of defrauding investors, while Balwani was convicted of defrauding investors and patients. Sentencing will take place in September 2022. I think the maximum that Holmes could receive would be twenty years. It will be interesting what the judge decides.

ZackyDog and Phil12 like this.
  10. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

This was an excellent series. I knew very little of the details, but if google is to be believed this series was very accurate.

11. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Sentencing?
    I think both face no more jail time than 10 years. Why?
    1. Investors and board members actually shared into the lie; they should have done their due diligence.
    2. "It's not a lie if you believe it" (George Costanza in Seinfeld)

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I doubt they'll get three years. With time served..

13. townsend

It just keeps going on and on . . . and on.

After Holmes was convicted of multiple fraud charges, she has been awaiting sentencing, which is to take place on October 17.

Now she is asking for a new trial, because of "newly discovered evidence": Elizabeth Holmes asks for new trial, citing 'newly discovered evidence'

Like they didn't have sufficient time to discover, consider the relevant evidence, and prepare a defense pretrial?:confused:

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

In general I would totally agree with you. But this case is so high profile and she seems to have so few friends in high places left, she might actually do real time.

But, yeah, if she just gets a slap on the wrist I'll be disgusted but not surprised.

Dudley Morris and longdist01 like this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

16. From today's Boston Globe: SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Disgraced Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes was sentenced Friday to more than 11 years in prison for duping investors in the failed startup that promised to revolutionize blood testing but instead made her a symbol of Silicon Valley ambition that veered into deceit.

The sentence imposed by U.S. District Judge Edward Davila was shorter than the 15-year penalty requested by federal prosecutors but far tougher than the leniency her legal team sought for the mother of a year-old son with another child on the way.

Holmes, 38, faced a maximum of 20 years in prison. Her legal team requested no more than 18 months, preferably served in home confinement. Holmes’ attorney, Kevin Downey, indicated she would appeal the sentence.

The judge gave Holmes more than five months of freedom before she must report to prison on April 27 — a window of time that should enable her to give birth to her second child before she is incarcerated. She gave birth to a son shortly before her trial started last year.

Prosecutors also wanted Holmes to pay $804 million in restitution — an amount that covers most of the nearly $1 billion that she raised from investors. But the judge left that question for a future hearing that has not been scheduled.

MikaelaArsenault, 905 and townsend like this.
  17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Holmes has been hobnobbing with the rich and famous since her downfall. Seems like she socked away lots of pin money. Will be interesting to see how much of that she'll be required to give back. My guess is they'll leave her enough for a very comfortable life once she gets out of prison.

18. townsend

Sixty Minutes Australia has a just released an update:

During the trial, she expressed no remorse or regret. Her two pregnancies roughly correspond with two events: the beginning of the trial and her sentencing. She first met Billy Evans, now her husband, in 2017, which was two years after the fraud was exposed. You know what they say: "love is blind."

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Trying to "breed" her way out of consequences?

20. EwaWoowa

EwaWoowa Sexiest Monkey Ever...

Harsh, but I think, very true...

Like most sociopaths, she believed herself incapable of being wrong, when faced with her beliefs and reality differing - she decides reality must be wrong, and she has no qualms about using anyone - even her own babies - as pawns in her game...

Actually, the more I think about it, "sociopath" is absolutely the correct term for her...

21. steelinYaThighs

steelinYaThighs "I'll be dancin' on Diamonds..."

She's a pig, and she epitomizes everything wrong with modern society: because it was a "financial crime"--because money was essentially stolen, and because no one was physically assaulted or murdered--it somehow mitigates the severity of her crime(s). If trash like her were put to the sword, this kind of chicanery would happen less often than what's seen today. But once the public forgets about her (that won't take long), she'll be quietly trucked out, and she'll live a good life to ripe old age.

And that stupid faux "baritone"of hers is creepy as all get out.

- siyt

EwaWoowa and poe_man like this.
  22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Weren't there people who died because they received a wrong diagnosis from her testing machine?

Carl Swanson and longdist01 like this.
  23. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

this... the lowest of the low....

ZackyDog likes this.
  24. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Man, she's going to have a lot of tattoos when she gets out. Probably many, many more than Martha Stewart even!

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

A significant part of the problem for me is that, as a society, we seem assume some artificial distinction between people of her type and common, street level criminals.

IMO, people like her deserve far more contempt and revilement because their crimes cause far more widespread harm.