Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paulg61, May 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member Thread Starter

This may have been asked before.
    Wondering if the 1997 CD Verve 537257 "Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook" use the same master as Steve's 1995 CD DCC 1079 version?
    If no where can one find a '95 DCC version without taking out a 2nd mortgage. Also looking for a RINGO & BADFINGER's Straight Up DCC's - Good luck, Huh?!! If not around be willing to do a CDR trade for other OOP DCC's.

Thanks!

2. petzi

petzi Forum Resident

I paid ~ $80 on eBay for a sealed copy of the DCC release. That seems reasonable for a 2 gold CD set.

3. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

No. Verve did their own remaster.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

I don't think any label who's ever licensed to DCC has ever used Steve's work for their own reissues. I'm referring to the label that owns the music, not some other specialty label like Razor & Tie.

5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The DCC double CD is my favorite... better than the Verve remasters. (IMHO)

6. Angel

Angel New Member

Re: Re: Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook?

The Verve version really smells, in my opinion. The songs sound out of phase and too bright. This is really too bad because Steve's version is very hard to find. One used to be able to walk in to Tower Records and buy any DCC Gold disc......

7. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Re: Re: Re: Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook?

I can agree with that; and it is not only the Porter songbook - they have used the same approach to the Rodgers and Hart, and the Berlin Songbooks, and those are just the ones that I had and did not like. It must be the same with the rest of the songbooks (Gershwin, Ellington, Arlen, Mercer and Kern). "Original" Verve CDs (still under Polygram) sounded better.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I love Steve's version of this. I think I enjoy it more because I came across a copy locally for only $22! (sorry if I keep mentioning this, I always pay too much for DCC's, this is the only bargain I ever came across).

Every track's a winner!

9. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

For what it's worth, I have never heard the DCC discs but I like the Verve edition just fine. Definitely not bad enough to make it a top priority to replace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.