Elliott Smith - Song by song discussion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by appearcomposed, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Waking up to the rest of the Greenhouse tape and another Harum Scarum all at once? Just wow. Will enjoy playing these later. So cool to have that full tape. Huge thanks to the unknown sharer & Tony Lash

appearcomposed likes this.
  2. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident Thread Starter

The floodgates are decidedly open on all of these tapes... I knew that the second Asleep was posted, but after last night I think it's 100 percent apparent.

I'd say that it's very likely we will be getting all 6 tapes within the next several months or so.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  3. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Its incredible. Gonna give Greenhouse a good listen in full now. We got the last 4 tracks all at once! I'm looking forward to anything that comes out really, but especially the remainder of the Harum Scarum tape. I love Catholic so much and hope there are a few more rockers like that on the tape. So far we've had the 2 proto versions and the bizarre album closer. After we get Key Biscayne (AKA Mr Goodmorning - other version) in full, there's 6 totally new songs to come!

I wonder if the mystery 'No Name 7' who has shared the whole Greenhouse tape, and who we now know has the Harum Scarum tape too, is someone from, or very close to the bands, Duckler himself perhaps? I'm also curious as to if they are doing it off their own bat or in conjunction with the Tony Lash uploads. Regardless, its amazing getting these songs after a small number of people sitting tightly on these tapes for 30+ years. Also really cool that they are surfacing during this topic. Here's to the next batch!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  4. jonboulay

jonboulay Well-Known Member

Exciting time to be an Elliott fan! Is this most recent Harum track the only one that had a download or did earlier ones have links?

Pop_Zeus and appearcomposed like this.
  5. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

It’s the first HS song to have a download link, yes.

6. appearcomposed

The other two Harum Scarum songs were uploaded by Tony and didn't have a proper download link. No Name 7 presumably will be posting lossless versions of Catholic and Bald Faced whenever they start sharing the rest of Trick of Paris Season.

jonboulay and Pop_Zeus like this.
  7. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

As these songs have surfaced, in the excitement of it all, I just realised I hadn't really thought about Elliott's age when stuff like the STF songs were recorded. I was just looking at the YouTube comments and Tony has said that Elliott was 16 when he wrote Jump Across the Mountain. Amazing.

So, Greenhouse; what do you all think of it as a whole? I love the run of songs Condor Avenue - Take a Fall - Chinatown. Interesting to finally hear Coraliza in the context of the album, after it being a random song shoved into the Grand Mal collection for so long. I think Elliott picked two of the stronger songs to rework in later years, in what we know as 'proto' versions (Condor Avenue > Condor Ave & Three > Kings Crossing), though imagine what he could have done in reworking Take a Fall. I love that song.

Where has everyone gone? We just got a whole 'new' Elliott Smith album folks! Hidden away for over 30 years

8. appearcomposed

Yeah it's crazy. I think the songs definitely work better in the context of a whole album. Sure some things sound a little awkward or messy, but that almost gives the recordings a certain charm that is unique to this release. It's such a diverse sounding album and especially different to anything we've heard out of Elliott before, so even if everything isn't gold or fully developed, I think it still makes for an engaging listen. My favorites are Take A Fall, Condor, and Chinatown. It's crazy to think that this kid had 6 whole albums to his name before Heatmiser was even started.

Hearing what we've heard of Trick of Paris Season, I must say that I expect that to be better than Greenhouse... at least based on what's gotten out so far. Catholic and This Bed feel more cohesive and professionally recorded than some of the cuts on Greenhouse. Also very excited to hear the full Key Biscayne.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  9. appearcomposed

So no new song yesterday, unfortunately, but I sort of half expected a brief hiatus after the massive unloading of Greenhouse material last week. Obviously we can't complain, haha. I'm positive we'll be getting the rest of Trick of Paris Season sooner rather than later, even if a few weeks are taken off before the uploads start again. I'm also semi-positive that the next track will be Key Biscayne since that's the only Paris song out with a clip, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. There's no way that No Name would only post This Bed and then run off, especially since they uploaded the entirety of Greenhouse. So I remain hopeful.

I've been listening to Greenhouse as a whole and the songs really do sort of bounce off eachother... definitely a better listen as a whole album as opposed to weekly tracks. Between Take A Fall, Coraliza, and Three, I really took to the sort of western-ish sound those songs have, they pulled it off well.

Pop_Zeus and BeauZooka like this.
  10. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Dang it, when I saw that you had replied to the thread I instantly thought a new song had emerged. We waited years for this stuff and now we're disappointed that a week goes by without one surfacing! Yes I've been enjoying Greenhouse as an album too, but I am very intrigued to see what Trick of Paris Season brings. I don't know much about YouTube, but I subscribed to Tony Lash and No Name 7, without knowing what it really meant to do so. I presumed it meant I'd get some kind of notification, like an email, when a new video was posted. Is that not how it works, as I've not been told about any of their new vids. I just manually check a few times a day or I find out from you, or from Reddit. Can you set something up where you get told that a new video is up?

11. appearcomposed

I think subscribing just means that when you go to your YouTube subscription feed, their new videos will show up. I'm really not entirely sure if there's a way to set up email notifications (I would assume there is) but I do know that if you click the little bell icon thing next to the Subscribe button on one of their videos it should go even further with the notifications, I get a ding on my phone through the YouTube app whenever someone I'm "bell'd" with uploads a new video. Maybe that can be extended to email if you have a poke through those notification settings.

Anyway, I'll definitely be posting about any new songs in this thread and on Reddit within half an hour or so of them being uploaded, so if YouTube fails there's always this thread. Haha.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  12. appearcomposed

New Still Waters song courtesy of Tony!!! This one's pretty good. Nice bouncy melody.

BeauZooka and Pop_Zeus like this.
  13. appearcomposed

If anyone's interested, here's some artwork I whipped up quickly using the highest quality scans of these covers we have available... which is to say not that high res. They won't scale well since the original resolution is so lackluster, but it's better than nothing. Still Waters and Trick of Paris were done by me, while someone else did The Greenhouse one. I figured people would want a nice square image to use in their media libraries for tagged files or whatever.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TeddyB and Pop_Zeus like this.
  14. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

@appearcomposed Thanks for the artwork & latest Tony share. What a fun, upbeat little number Wandering is. A couple of interesting things about it. . . the lyrics contain the album title 'Still waters more or less', and also the piano part is the same as Elliott later used on Cecilia/Amanda. Makes me really want to hear the opener 'Time Is Ours Now' from the 'Waiting for the Second Hand' tape (which came out the same year as Still Waters), which is meant to be a proto-version of Cecilia/Amanda.

Then there is the Jackpot! 1997 C&A and the still uncirculating 1998 version with strings. On top of that, Elliott considered it for Basement but to our knowledge hadn't started reworking it. Man he must have really liked that song, with its roots back in 1986. I so want to hear the '98 XO sessions strings version

15. appearcomposed

Yeah. I'm really hoping someone comes through with 2nd Hand. That's one of the more important albums, in my opinion. Early Junk Bond, Cecilia/Amanda, Punch and Judy. And then Sophistry has some interesting history... and then Dear Eunice even namedrops one of the songs. Haha.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  16. appearcomposed

And ANOTHER Still Waters song from Tony! I haven't had a chance to listen to it all that closely, but it's long and kind of jumps around from part to part. Someone pointed out that the end of this one is the piano part from "Ocean", which is pretty interesting. Enjoy.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  17. appearcomposed

Maybe goes on for a bit too long, but I do really like the faster and high energy parts of the song. I think the ending with the contrasting piano/synth play going on is really well put together. Very ambitious.

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  18. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

The Crystal Ball
    Wow, a fascinating song. Can't stop playing it. One thing I never expected to hear on an Elliott Smith song was a frantic slap bass section. I was quite taken aback by that. Cool song title given the fact that he'd later play the Crystal Ballroom in Portland. I love the moment when the track really kicks in on the 'Richard Dawson calls to you from the water fountain' line. I wonder who he is. Enjoying this a lot. Huge thanks again to Tony for sharing.

Nothing from 'No Name 7' in 2 weeks. Hopefully more Harum Scarum is imminent.

19. appearcomposed

Woah. After a decade of being in limbo and only having a few screenings, Reyes' documentary Searching For Elliott Smith is finally being released on December 24th.

Been a crazy year for Elliott fans.

Pop_Zeus and BeauZooka like this.
  20. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

First post in a month on this topic. Can't believe the early song surfacings just tailed off like that. I must admit, I don't know anything at all about this film. Is it just an online release, no DVD?

21. appearcomposed

Pretty certain it's just going to be an online release via Vimeo. Kind of crazy that it's been 10 years with just a tiny amount of interview clips floating around when the film itself was fully finished and screened several times, haha. I have my opinions regarding the content based on a few firsthand accounts and reviews I saw of it, but I'll watch for myself and see if there's anything to gain. The bits with David McConnell might be the most important/revealing.

jonboulay, Pop_Zeus and BeauZooka like this.
  22. appearcomposed

Haven't yet watched the full film, but someone made mention of this handwritten list that appears about an hour into the doc. Take a look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wow. A lot to look at there. Most notably the "Heaven (Vox)"(I presume this to be a 'to do list' so perhaps it doesn't confirm anything regarding the SYIH vocals being done.)

Stained Glass Eye and Unlucky Charm also being written here are also crazy. I wish I knew what he meant with the (rec.) next to Unlucky... needs to be recorded? already recorded?

Also, Little One being under the title One Hit and Dancing On The Highway being listed as Here If You Want Me. Yay! also having vocals listed next to it as well as True Believer being brought back during 2003.

picassoson and Pop_Zeus like this.
  23. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Wow, fascinating stuff. This almost certainly confirms that he intended to do something with Unlucky Charm in the Basement era, in addition to the fact that he played it live in 2002 and said “and then it fades out” at the end of the performance. Who knows what he’d have done with a more properly recorded Stained Glass Eyes?

Also is this the first time that True Believer has been linked to the Basement era? Really hope we get to hear that song

24. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

No early song shares since early November. What is going on? I wonder if the family got wind and don't want the material to be shared. That would be a shame.

25. appearcomposed

Yeah it's weird how it kind of tapered off. The estate, thankfully, has never really done anything to combat or discourage open sharing in the past even though they also haven't done anything to get stuff out, so I doubt they'd care enough about the 80s stuff that only a small handful of fans are interested in listening to, or at least I'd hope so. I'm sure they also respect Tony enough to let him have last word on it since he was so involved with STF, I really doubt Jason and Garrick care either.

My only guess is that No Name is intentionally having a large break in between the albums since the river wasn't exactly flowing prior to last year in terms of ES shares and they don't wanna blow it all at once and would rather space it out. No doubt No Name has the rest of Paris and I'm sure it will be shared at some point, I hope sooner rather than later.

Pop_Zeus likes this.