ELO clear vinyl reissues 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PteroDon, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

The vinyl is rather noisy...

Ben Adams and c-eling like this.
  2. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

I have a US Jet with 'SR/2' in the deadwax - it's good, but the original UK beats it - not by miles but I've not heard it sound better - it has to be the early EMI press with A1/B1/A1/B1 matrices, distributed by UA, as by the following year distribution was taken over by CBS with new, slightly inferior cuts - the UA EMI's were cut two or three times also, so there are A2/B2's and A3/B3's about too.

We need these done by MOFI or Intervention from the original Analogue tapes!

c-eling, Turntable and Doctorwu like this.
  3. paolo

paolo Senior Member

Just picked up a 2016 copy of Time today on clear vinyl and am listening now. Sticker on the cover says "mastered from the original analogue sources". It sounds ok on first pass but I will need to dig out my 1981 original and the CD to reach any firm decisions. Seems fairly bass light but there is a lot of music on each side of this LP.

4. Artyom Yakovlev

Artyom Yakovlev Active Member

I've got an opportunity to get "Time" on clear vinyl, a copy from this reissue campaign.
    How does it sound? Should I get one, or should I wait for something better?

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

'Something better' I don't think will ever happen...
    Not the greatest recording to begin with, some seem to be happy with these. I was not happy with Face The Music so I skipped the rest, for this title I'm happy with my old US Allen Zentz :cheers:

6. Artyom Yakovlev

Thanks for advice! I have the original UK copy of "Secret Messages" and it sounds absolutely awful to my ears with lots of distortion. Perhaps my copy is just bad but it looks pristine.
    I still hope they will reissue it on heavyweight vinyl eventually, as "Time" and "Secret Messages" are perhaps my favourite albums by ELO.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

UK's I have not heard for those titles, Again the US Allen Secret is a good one also. This is a transfer I did a few months ago-

8. Artyom Yakovlev

Just finished listening to my clear vinyl copy of "Time".
    Sounds horrible. Compressed, with no room to breathe. The compression, however, doesn't sound "digital", which makes me assume that this is the way the album was recorded. The sound (especially the tonal balance) is similar to my first pressing of "Secret Messages", which is just as weird-sounding and compressed as the recent reissue of "Time".
    I'm still happy that I own this album on LP now (the pressing is immaculate - absolutely flat, quiet and beautiful) as its musical qualities compensate for the lo-fi sound.
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd forgotten how great this album was until I heard it today for the first time in many years.

Derek Slazenger and Vinyl Dude like this.
  9. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

I went through several original U.S. CBS copies and even a German pressing of "Time", and they ALL sounded badly overcompressed. That's because Jeff Lynne apparently insisted upon laying it on THICK during mixdown, against engineer and Musicland studio honcho Mack's wishes. As the story further goes, JL and Mack had a huge falling out over it, and they never recorded at Musicland in Munich again.

Artyom Yakovlev and c-eling like this.
  10. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Speaking of "Time": Since, as I mentioned before, I went through several older pressings of this one through the years, they ALL had really bad IGD on the closings songs of each side (perhaps the result of hot mastering and groove-cramming)-PARTICULARLY on "Another Heart Breaks". Is that a problem on this new reissue? I'm ever so curious.

11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

My copy is OK on each side, but it's really clean and I'm using a microline stylus, which minimizes / eliminates IGD.

Vinyl Dude and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

Same here Ben on my Allen Z, three different carts, no issues: It is in pristine condition, looked almost unplayed when I bought it

Ben Adams likes this.
  13. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I'm sorry, I just realized should have been more specific that I was talking about my original copy.

14. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

Well, Jeff Lynne did work with Reinhold "Mack" again on 1986's Balance of Power album by Electric Light Orchestra because he's listed in its credits as Engineer!

15. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

Hi..Someone knows why the records are listed as NUMBERED..?..I only have one of the records with a numbered sticker.....and three more without that numbered sticker

16. c-eling

Are they all clear? Number should be stamped on the rear.
    Clear numbered, black not
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  17. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

My "El Dorado" copy.. (Europe) the only one "numbered"..only has a sticker on the backcover..on the plastic seal

18. c-eling

So your saying the other three you have are 'clear' but have no number stamped on the rear?
    [​IMG]

19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Anyone know when the next batch are out? I'm guessing On The Third Day, Secret Messages and Balance of Power?

Also can anyone comment on the pressings, stampers, quality etc used in the Three Light Years and Four Light Years box sets compared to the regular UK issues?

20. efegarcia

efegarcia Forum Resident

Yes.."EL DORADO" has a White sticker with the number in the back cover.....but the other records dont have any number..sticker or stamped...only the front sticker...with the "limited...clear vinyl..etc.etc.."

21. Mack was only responsible for the final mixes, while the actual Balance Of Power sessions were engineered by Bill Bottrell and Tom Thiel.

22. I suspect these have been quietly cancelled, in addition to quite a few other titles that were in the pipeline for the back end of this year. While I'd rule out any chance of the planned follow-ups to Mr. Blue Sky or Long Wave ever being released (due to these likely being stuck with Frontiers - Jeff has since renegotiated a better contract under Sony), we might still eventually get the expanded reissue of Secret Messages as recently teased on this very forum by the band's official archivist. On the other hand, I wouldn't hold your breath for the Wembley 2017 concert album or home video that was once scheduled for November, since these was always meant to coincide with a new "ELO" studio project that has now been delayed until at least the middle of next year, presumably closer to the rumoured US tour we're meant to be getting... At the very least, Jeff spoke of this being when Richard Tandy will hopefully return following several months off due to illness. In addition to all these potential goodies, there was the first in a set of boxes containing the group's classic era singles pressed on 7" discs complete with their original b-sides, as listed on Amazon a few months ago. Just be thankful we've not had to endure yet another hits compilation... If you're reading this, Rob Caiger, where are all the announcements that were once promised?!

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  23. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I don't see the point of buying it while the original US copies are still plentiful, reasonably inexpensive and usually sound great. Forget about sound quality, even labels on these reissues are wrong. Epic? - they were always on Jet records, Epic label just looks inappropriate here IMO.

24. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi all ,
    I've got all of these clear Vinyl reissues with the exception of OOTB & Discovery. Whilst there's an appeal for getting new , quiet pressings , none of them sound as good as originals. They lack in dynamics & soundstage . Most originals are quite cheap , but don't go for any old Jet label , some are plain dreadful ( Hello 3&4 light years boxes)

My favourite pressings are Warners palm trees labelled Eldorado , Japan King Records OOTB which is just brilliant & a UK Jet with strawberry in the deadwax copy of Discovery.

I've found a UK mint 1st pressing of Face the Music but not taken the plunge as its £26 , what do you guys think? I've got the Clear pressing & am unimpressed.

25. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

You shouldn't have to pay that much even for an original Face The Music - it will be an EMI pressing and will be excellent though. I thought the new pressing of Face The Music was one of the better ones, but I agree, an original will probably still trounce it.

I bought all of the clear vinyl re-issues and most of them - especially OOTB and Time, aren't a patch on the originals - at least I didn't pay that much for them - Dodax in Germany and Best Seller Record Shop in The Netherlands had them in pretty cheap, not sure about now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.