ELP LP Thread - About Pressing Quality Only *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dream On, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thought I would create a thread about ELP LP's, since the old one is closed. Feel free to discuss any album, even though for now I am just interested in the first one.

Hoping someone can comment on the following:

- is the pink rim label basically the same as the pink label in terms of sonics?
    - would a French pressing, pink or pink rim, be equivalent to a UK pressing, pink or pink rim?
    - if I do not go for one of the pink/pink rim Islands, is an early U.S. pressing the next best option?

I suspect any of these will be fine, but figure I may as well be selective since the supply of this album is pretty strong.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. Deacon Beaker

Deacon Beaker Well-Known Member

In other words this thread is not about actual MUSIC.

3. Dream On

Thanks, that was helpful!

hi_watt and sathvyre like this.
  4. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

hi_watt and Dream On like this.
  5. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Based upon the thread title, I thought the same...

But then was quickly dissuaded by the LP pressing particulars...

However, this IS an Audiophile Forum, so...

hi_watt likes this.
  6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Are you asking (don't see a question mark), or stating some kind of opinion? If you're stating an opinion, not quite sure I understand your purpose in doing so...(?)

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

You should go for the CD that was mixed by Steven Wilson.

8. Dream On

I thought the fact that it was labelled an LP thread would have made it clear that it was to discuss LP releases (and not necessarily the music).

Sheesh!

I sincerely appreciate any posts that address the topic as presented in the OP.

hi_watt likes this.
  9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Unfortunately, the thread title isn’t clear...

Perhaps you can message a Gort to edit your thread title...
    ELP LP Thread - regarding Pressings only”

That would eliminate any doubt

10. Deacon Beaker

Deacon has a Philipino orig press of the first ELP. (On quite thick vinyl - if that means anything to you.)
    Frankly I don't give a fig where it would stand in anysort of sonics hierarchy.

11. Dream On

I'll do that. Thanks for the constructive reply, unlike one poster who seems to be having a bad day.

Meddle_Guy and lightbulb like this.
  12. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I also thought it was a general thread about the album rather than talking specifically about the vinyl pressings. I was ready to sing the praises of "Take a Pebble" o_O

IIRC I have a US Cotillion which has terrible sibilance especially (and unfortunately) on the aforementioned song though on the overdubbed backing vocal there is no sibilance, oddly enough.

SteelyNJ, hi_watt and Dream On like this.
  13. Deacon Beaker

Here ya goes.
    I throw you an Emerson bone:

On stage Emerson wanted this certain sound effect off the Moog modular and he dragged some sort of metal (?) over the ribbon controller.
    It blew the fingernail right off.
    And he had to switch to the (weighted) keys of the piano immediately after.

You can imagine the pain.

[​IMG]

hi_watt, ytserush and sathvyre like this.
  14. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Just compared three copies that I have:
    1 - UK "Pink Rim Island" label
    2 - German "Pink Island" with large "I" and gatefold cover
    3 - Japanese "Atlantic" P-8033A

To my taste probably UK one is the best sounding of all three. Japanese is close second, sounds very similar though the volume is a little quieter than UK and You have to crank it up a little. German sounds also very nice and balanced but has a little less bass.

On the side note - don't "feed" the troll, just ignore him. The very fact that he refers to himself in the third person already speaks volumes IMO.

15. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Let's play nice in the sandbox...

Jerry and willy like this.
  16. Dream On

Yes, you are correct of course.

I will probably go with a 1970 French pink label. An original UK is just too expensive if you want one that's in good shape. Not crazy prices like some albums command of course, but a bit much considering that there seem to be a lot of other nice pressings to choose from for half the cost or evwn less.

Looking forward to spinning this one once I eventually buy and receive my copy.

17. Mikewest

Mikewest Forum Resident

This is a brilliant album and one of one of my favourite ELP albums ,
    I have original UK , I island all pink label
    The german gatefold ,I island all pink label
    Also the palm tree island 2nd UK
    The US cotillion label 1st
    All of them seem to have issues with Take A Pebble/Lucky Man as they are such a quiet tracks , I even bought a new pressing ( sealed) this had more clicks than my old original LPs , I might look at a french one in pristine condition.

Calling All Stations likes this.
  18. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I have 3 copies of the first album. 2 original AT/GP US Cotillion, and a 1977 reissue mastered by Ed Feinblatt.
    The 2 originals have the Take a Pebble/Lucky Man issues. The '77 reissue is without the sibilance issues, but
    doesn't sound quite as powerful as the originals. Still sounds great though. A little bit of a trade off.

Mikewest and Dr. Funk like this.
  19. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

In my opinion if one can't get the pink label U.K. Island (2U, 1U) then the Monarch Cotillion is cool too. On my set up, it's more of the preference of midrange with the U.S. and the warmth of the U.K. pressing. Although it has been a while, I need to listen again as I had a different preamp at the time too.

20. steve phillips

My Monarch Cotillion has a volume drop at the last 30 seconds or so on both Side 1 and Side 2.
    Can't figure that out.

21. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Hmmm, I'll need to check that out.

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

My experience with ELP vinyl is predominantly with US pressings. Here are some of my thoughts and experiences...

ELP s/t- early US Cotillion with at/gp in the wax sounds great. My favorite is a RI (Richmond) I found sealed about 5 years ago.

Tarkus- I only have experience with one...early US at/gp pressed at Monarch (MO). Sounds nice.

Pictures At An Exhibition- I go back and forth with this one...between an early US Cotillion and the MFSL. This is such a loud vibrant recording, and some pressings sound harsh and brittle. The MFSL has a smoother presentation (especially with that sweet JVC vinyl) but loses some of the midrange. The US at/gp has the nice mids but a little more sizzle on top.

Trilogy- early US Cotillion at/gp sounds pretty good. I also like the 2013 Razor And Tie reissue which sounds surprisingly nice.

Brain Salad Surgery- I actually prefer the later US Atlantic (SP) (SD 19124) over the early US Manticore. A little more balanced to my ears.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    hi_watt likes this.
  23. steve phillips

That's an interesting animal. I have 3 copies of the SD 19124. Most people know that on Karn Evil 9 1st impression there
    is a little bit of a sound quality drop on all versions. What I've discovered is the best sounding ones have a very narrow deadwax on Side 1.
    One of my copies has a large deadwax area and the volume and quality drop at least in half on that one track. Unlistenable really.
    The rest of it sounds great. Like you, I think that reissue pressing is nice. Happy to have 2 really good ones.

stax o' wax and Dr. Funk like this.
  24. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I went through about a half dozen US copies before I settled with mine....audiophile bliss it is not, but it will do. The Atlantic cd mastered by Barry Diament sounds pretty good.

steve phillips likes this.
  25. lasercd

lasercd Forum Resident

IMO to hear ELP with the best sonics you have to listen to the original UK pressings. Clearly superior to their US counterparts on Cotillion and even MFSL.

I have 3 versions of the first album: a UK Island test pressing, UK pink label, German pressing (with gatefold sleeve). The test pressing is the best but a bit of an anomaly. I picked it up at the Camden record fair in the early 90s. The matrix is slightly earlier than the pink label. The regular Uk pink label is great and should satisfy any collector.

Tarkus and Trilogy again I have to go with the UK pink rim. Trilogy is a real stand out. From The Beginning is jaw dropping.

Pictures At An Exhibition is a curious case. The black label UK Island (HELP1) is a sonic blockbuster. Its one of my rock reference recordings. The dynamics will give you whiplash and Emerson’s low frequency sweeps with the Moog will rattle your sheetrock. Extremely transparent.

I question the Cotillion and and MFSL Pictures relative to the source. My assumption has been that it was cut from a safety. The album opens with Keith Emerson saying “We’re gonna give you Pictures At An Exhibition”. On the UK pressings its met with applause and the band jumps in. On the US pressings there is a fade to silence and the music starts.

I’ve never heard a great Brain Salad Surgery. Very odd sounding album to my ears.

Icethorn, Mikewest and ytserush like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.