Elton John biopic "Rocketman"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Manley, Feb 21, 2019.

1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, there's every reason to expect this film to be BETTER than Bohemian Rhapsody because Elton has repeatedly shown a willingness to tell his story--warts and all. BR was sanitized to tell a specific tale.

Larry L, GodShifter, NaturalD and 3 others like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I agree. Also the main character is still very much alive and healthy, cooperated fully turning over his diaries to the writer, and the writer only has to worry about the opinion of one person rather than a whole band.

SandAndGlass, Tim S and BeatleJWOL like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

good points

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I thought the B Rhapsody movie used Freddie’s vocals? Sure sounded like him. Marc Martel?

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It was a combination. I think they used Martel's voice more when they needed something like Freddie singing around the house.

Derek Slazenger and chacha like this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Alrighty, thanks.

7. It was 90% Freddie and 10% of Rami for flavoring and fusion. I heard Rami discuss this.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Do a search. That is incorrect and highly documented.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

As Elton once said about the press:

'They can say I'm a fat, old sod. They can say I'm an untalented bastard. They can call me a poof. But they mustn't lie about me.'

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

note: release date May 31

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Obviously it’s Freddie on the original Queen tracks. Everything else it’s Marc Martel and an ounce of Rami to help with sync.

andrewskyDE, Chris DeVoe and Mazzy like this.
  12. I know Ramis voice was mixed in slightly (for breathing) along with one other Freddie sound alike.

I watched several interviews where Rami discussed this. He sang live in set too, but only moments are mixed together.

jon9091 likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I believe I saw an interview with Rami on Colbert where he went through the technical aspects, and this is correct.
    The vast majority of the non studio tracks are Marc Martel, who has an uncanny resemblance vocally to Freddie. They set the bar very high here, and Rocketman will be compared to this for sure.

gotblues and Mazzy like this.
  14. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

The Elton biopic looks promising. Least it doesn't erase who he is, but Elton lived long enough to live in his truth though he did in more ways than one in the '70s.

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

if this is a hit as well as bohemian, get ready for a ton of these.....

phil collins.....how a balding drummer became an international heartthrob..."Against All Odds"! (they already used that title but maybe the public forgot)

16. Chris DeVoe

Maybe Todd Haynes can do a film like his Karen Carpenter biopic Superstar, where everybody was played with Barbie dolls. Except in this case Phil would be played by a Kewpie doll.

[​IMG]

Bill, supersquonk and the pope ondine like this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the resemblance is uncanny

18. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

That was a very sad and disturbing flick :cry:

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

It moved me deeply, which I did not expect from a bunch of Barbie dolls. I wish Richard wouldn't be such a butthead about it.

SuntoryTime likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well... on the other hand, Bohemian Rhapsody got nominated for 5 Oscars and has made over $850 million dollars, so there's always the chance they knew what they were doing. I think the real-life story was a lot messier than what they presented in the film, so call it "The Readers Digest Version."

Chris DeVoe and Mazzy like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

I'd be interested to find out if there's ever been a biographical film that showed exactly what happened in a person's life and didn't change a single event or piece of the timeline.

I doubt it exists.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    DK Pete likes this.
  22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"BR" got generally mediocre reviews. It's not like Oscar hasn't rewarded not-so-good movies in the past!

I can't debate the fact it's done well financially, but there are scads of bad movies that made a ton of money, so I think that's not a sign of quality...

23. Oatsdad

And you'd be correct, but "BR" takes such bizarre, massive liberties that it stands out from the crowd.

I mean, this is a movie that claims Queen reunited for Live Aid - even though they just finished a massive world tour a couple of months earlier! :help:

That's not nitpicky stuff...

24. Chris DeVoe

It is nitpicky stuff, and it made a much more compelling story.

25. Oatsdad

Seriously? The claim that the band broke up years earlier and reunited specifically for Live Aid is "nitpicky"??? :wtf: