Elton John - Disney Plus live stream

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cdash99, Nov 14, 2022.

1. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

To be fair, Kiki has been doing small acoustic gigs for years.

Daniel has never sounded good live with a band sjnce 1984. It always sounds lumpy whereas the original recorded version has a lovely flow.

2. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

The two drummer set up worked really well on One Night Only, and that’s already 22 years ago.
    They complemented each other nicely, with Nigel covering the classic era’s ballads / slower songs, and Curt providing the necessary uptempo energy on the other stuff.

3. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

she was a weak link when she appeared on ONO in 2000, so I’m curious to see how she sounds two decades later..

4. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Does anyone have any inside info on whether Dodger will get a physical release?

even if the stream was a success in terms of quality, some post production brush ups will no doubt give the mix a better balance etc etc

rontoon likes this.
  5. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I don't think Curt was quite as good as Charlie for Elton's music. He pushed the tempos a bit too much. I think Charlie played songs like I'm Still Standing and SNAFF way better and more "rock" than uptempo pop.

6. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

I AM a mega fan but I don't completely disagree. If you haven't heard him sing in a while I can see where it could be a bit shocking how he sounds today. I even lost interest in seeing him live because of it. But I saw him on this tour and so glad I did. I won't say he sounds amazing but he sounds good, he's Elton frickin John and that's good enough for me.

7. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

I don't disagree. CM was a very good drummer for EJ. He had time to make the gig his own, as well. Curt was there for 1 year? With limited touring in the band format I seem to recall - Elton was playing many solo shows in this era...

my main point though was that the two drummer set up worked well on the ONO release, with the two drummers getting to showcase their strengths. (No one plays the classic era ballads like Nigel)
    Had CM been there instead of Curt it may well have been even better

8. TomBart

TomBart Forum Resident

to much of ray Cooper

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Free on Hulu now. Loving it.

10. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

brettster808 likes this.
  11. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

briefly re-visited the Disney stream.
    Sound is definitely more balanced and well produced compared to what went out on the night.

I hope they do a proper physical release of this, and throw in a bonus show which feature songs no longer in the set

stillrockin, rontoon and JamesRR like this.
  12. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Obviously they were going to take "the best" of all the nights, put it together and smooth over the actual "last night". Regrettably, it means two things: (a) those of us not actually there can't experience the full real concert (b) they weren't very happy with some of the consistency/quality of performance of each song depending on the night.

The sound (dare I say it consistency of performance) on the Dodger Stadium mix sounds drastically different, cleaner (better) from that heard on the majority of the FYBRTour gigs it sounds too re-engineered for me to think it's an accurate reflection. Especially considering the hiccups in the Glastonbury set.

13. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Having watched this show pretty much as it happened on Disney + on the night, I haven't watched it since but have just decided to watch it again.

I hadn't realised they had created a new edit but it definitely feels a bit more polished from what I remember. I don't mind it personally. It feels more like a 'concert film' rather than a live broadcast but hasn't lost the feel of a live concert.

Eiricd likes this.
  14. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

It’s a new audio mix as well - dunno how long they spent on it, but to me it sounds more balanced and improved compared to what went out on the night.

I still hope for a physical release.
    With something from 2018-19 as a bonus, thus representing all the material that has been on the set list

Bink likes this.