Elton John - I'd Forgotten How Good His 70's Albums Are!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

On Sunday I was bored and despite having thousands of albums I had nothing to listen to, no matter what I played I was having one of those days where whatever I put on did nothing for me, then whilst looking at the forum I saw mention of Elton John's original USA edition of the "To Be Continued" box set, I had bought this when it came out in 1990, so I thought "I have that" and decided to give it a spin as I had nothing else to play, and............ Wow!

I'd not listened to an album of Elton's in at least a decade, I think I'd been put off by the caricature that he has become, subconsciously I'd stopped taking him seriously and it never occurred to me to listen to his music, upon playing the first CD my ears picked up and I loved what I was hearing, so much so that after looking here to see what the best versions of his 70's albums were, I went to Amazon UK and bought the following 6 West German DJM CD's to go alongside the two I already owned "Elton John" & "Captain Fantastic"........

Tumbleweed Connection (CD)
    Madman Across the Water (CD)
    Honky Château (CD)
    Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player (CD)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (CD)
    Carribou (CD)

I'm now sat patiently waiting for these to arrive so that I can soak up the magic that was Elton in the 70's.

2. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Great albums I have to say owning the MFSL's of the first five and even Caribou has it's moments forgotten in the superlatives for GYBR. Just put the kettle on with some Yorkshire Tea on arrival and turn up the stereo.

3. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Tumbleweed & Madman are my favorite, especially the deep cuts. Holiday Inn, Rotten Peaches, Love Song, St. Peter... Elton was a monster back then.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Agreed - his classic period is truly amazing. I would add '75s Rock of the Westies and '76s Blue Moves to your collection as I feel 1970-1976 is his top era.

5. hodgo

I can guarantee I'll be having a Yorkshire Brew as I sit back and enjoy these. :)

6. hodgo

I will do that, I just had no more money available until the end of the month so I only got the six I listed, the good news being those 6 CD's only cost me £15 GBP including postage, I'm really pleased with that.

905 and JeffMo like this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

And there is an AF Gold version of Westies - but that will set you back a bit more (ha ha!). I don't even have that one yet myself.

I think To Be Continued is a great boxset too.

8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I know I might sound ignorant, but are the DJM CDs considered better than the 1995 remasters? The latter are the ones I have in most cases. The only DJM I own is 'Greatest Hits'. Are the DJM CDs easy to obtain? I'm assuming they're out of print now...

9. hodgo

The MFSL's are regarded as the best, BUT the DJM CD's come a close second, I already had the DJM's of "Elton John" & "Captain Fantastic" and they both sound gorgeous, below are the Amazon UK links to the DJM CD's......

Empty Sky

Elton John

Tumbleweed Connection

Madman Across the Water

Honky Chateau

Don't Shoot Me

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Captain Fantastic & Brown Dirt Cowboy

Caribou

Rock of Westies

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

The DJM discs are excellent IMO. Elton's 70s albums are excellent and probably up to A Single Man. More patchy after that. In fact you're perhaps even looking at all the way through to his, again IMO, excellent Songs From The West Coast and the later Peachtree Road before hit really hit form again.

Vinyl_Blues and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The problem is there are not really good versions for a significant portion of his 70's output so it's a case of picking a less disagreeable edition an example of which is Caribou where I find the UK DJM a bit bright and lacking warmth and while the 1995 is from a better source and hardly brickwalled, it does sound a bit 'processed' for want of a better word. I'm more tonality centred so normally I play the 1995 but can understand why some prefer that DJM.
    Captain fantastic is one where I do prefer the DJM.
    There's a thread hovering around looking at the differences between US MCA, West German and UK DJM's (not always the same) and others

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Thanks for that. Makes it easier for me! I have the SACDs of 'Honky' and 'GYBR', and am happy with these, but will certainly check out the rest.

hodgo likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I did quite like a lot of those 80s albums.. But that is when I discovered him so I'm kinder towards them!

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I agree. Things fall away quite dramatically after that.

Mickey2 likes this.
  15. Macman

Macman Senior Member

His 1970-73 output is as an amazing run of creative excellence as any performer has ever enjoyed IMO. Unbelievable, really.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

There was a classic albums box released last year with his 1970-1972 albums for something like 20 bucks. I believe it was the '95 remasters but this would make an economical entry point for someone new to EJ.

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Mickey2 and petem1966 like this.
  18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes, that is it and I've seen it at Best Buy for $19.99.

I've shared this story on other threads but my intro to "the classic years" was first the Live in Australia cd in '87 where my jaw dropped at hearing all those long epic mood pieces for the first time. This is the same guy who did "I'm Still Standing"?

Then a few years later I picked up a cassette at McDonald's of all places - Elton John The Classic Years (or something) and it was 10 studio tracks from 1970 to 1972. I wore that thing out in the tape deck that summer!

19. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I was thinking the same Graham. I saw Amercian Hustle at the weekend and the soundtrack is very good, lots of great 70's music, and Goodbye Yellow Brick road came on and I thought it worked great in the film.

cgoodwin and hodgo like this.
  20. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

How in the world were you able to be sure that you were actually getting these specific cds, & for 15 pounds no less!? Well done, as I find it virtually impossible to even find these versions on the amazon uk site. Any suggestions as to how I might be able to find these on the uk site?

Ignore last sentence, just found link in above post. Thanks!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  21. hodgo

Yes Jim, its so easy to take Elton for granted, he's always been there as far back as I can remember and for me that's the early 70's, as such its not until you hear him again that you're ears prick up and you realise what you've been missing all these years.

Jayseph, duggan and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  22. hodgo

I spent about three hours on Sunday looking for them, I used a combination of Amazon DE (German), google, this site and Amazon UK to work out which was which, each product on Amazon has an "ASIN" number, these match across all their sites, I found there was much more info on Amazon DE about each CD than on the UK site, also googling the ASIN number gave me the UPC code which helped me narrow them down to the right ones.

Regarding the price most were around the £1.50 - £2 mark, two of them cost 1 pence each, perfect prices for a Yorkshire Man ;)

Oyster Boy and sjaca like this.
  23. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

If the OP would like to branch a bit more. I am glad he is getting into Elton. Since I am the biggest of Elton fans, I always am kind of stumped at how people just completely forgot about his catalog after the early great run he had. I mean, there is some great stuff still there. And honestly, I know it doesn't stack up to the earlier stuff, but some if it nonetheless is very good. Take A Single Man from 1978 that gets zero attention from most fans. It is a very enjoyable album. I actually believe the first without Bernie. Too Low For Zero in 1983, essentially some called his comeback album. Sleeping with the Past in 1989 is kind of his R&B album with the great Sacrifice on it. Made in England in 1995 is hardly every talked about. I could also say Songs From the West Coast was incredibly good in 2001. I could name others that are worthy, but I think these probably, to me, are the best of the bunch. Just some musings from an old Elton fan........

24. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Was successfully able to locate & order everything, incl. Rock of the Westies (ASIN B00000E5L0). My prices were a bit higher than yours but nothing at all outrageous. Very happy & anxiously await everything here, after which time look forward to a good listen through the classic Elton John period.

hodgo likes this.
  25. hodgo

I have both "Too Low For Zero" & "Sleeping With Past" on vinyl bought when they first came out and they are indeed good albums, I remember a friend had "Reg Strikes Back" which I seem to remember was a good album too, although its been many years since I last heard it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.