Elton John "Jewel" 8 CD box set coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Sep 16, 2020.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I enjoyed those deluxe 2CD editions that they started putting out about 10 years or so ago. Elton John, Tumbleweed Connection , Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic all came out and then it stopped.
    The first two featured a lot of piano demos, B-sides and a few BBC tracks each.

2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Just read the official story about it on EJ.com - looking at the preview video, and the mockups, it appears as though this set is the same dimension as the "Diamonds" box set. (Obviously, the somewhat clunky "Jewel Box" name is meant to continue the 'Diamond' concept). But it was actually smart, because this and Diamonds can live side-by-side on the shelf, pretty much covering "Elton's Greatest Hits" and "Elton's Rarities and B-Sides."

3. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I still hope for an expanded version of "Made In England". Silly me!

Jayseph, Carlox, PTgraphics and 5 others like this.
  4. I’m happy about the rarities and b-sides discs. I really don’t need the Deep Cuts or This Is Me disc. A pity there’s not a release just with those and without the book.

kollektionist likes this.
  5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I hear you on the three discs but I think the book could be the highlight if Elton has written track by track overviews which it looks like he has

6. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Oh, geez. I awoke this morning and saw the news about this posted on FB. And I just hit the ceiling.

This box set is an absolute dream. It’s not exhaustive but its size and scope is just *so far beyond* anything I ever thought we’d get from Planet Elton. And that the box's book (apparently) provides track-by-track commentary from Elton himself is just the sweetest icing on the proverbial cake. WOW. When I was a kid, I’d pray relentlessly that he’d release something like this. And now it’s happening. Not since the Rare Masters box of 1992—holy schnikes, that’s nearly thirty years ago—have I been this excited for an Elton release.

Just last month I paid a small fortune for the Flip It Over bootleg (an original copy from 1996; not some CD-R dupe from eBay). I suppose I should feel frustrated about that; if I’d known about the Jewel Box release ahead of time, I would’ve passed on Flip It Over and spent that chunk of money on something else. But I don’t feel frustrated at all. Old boots will still be collectible, even if their content is—finally—no longer so rare. Because this is exactly what so many EJ diehards have been insisting on for so long: that this material shouldn’t be “rare”!

Anyway. As I’m sure we’d all agree, 2020 has been a crappy year: the pandemic, the economic downturn, etc. Well, it’s been an especially crappy one for me; in addition to the pandemic, etc., I’ve been going through all sorts of job- and family-related stuff. But I’m telling ya; this morning’s news just put a whole new light on things. Except for, say, winning the Powerball or something like that, this news is perhaps the only thing that could’ve cheered me up quite like this.

Regaholic, RandyP, AGimS and 20 others like this.
  7. ChunkDaMan

ChunkDaMan America's Favorite CD Junkie

YEAAA! Just saw this today, all of the Dick James demos and all of the b-sides that were never released on CD or digitally- WAITED so long for something like this to appear. Just two things to ask, will the mastering be good as SHM transfers, also is Elton going to include his Captain and the Kid outtake, 'Across the River Thames'?

Edit: Hoping more rarities such as 'Bobby Goes Electric', 'Red', 'Hell', and so much more of his 80's - 00's demos will be released. Don't forget about his Aida solo tracks!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

No clue on the mastering, but it likely isn't being done by the Universal Japan peeps who did the SHMs, merely b/c this isn't just a re-release of an album, it's a totally new set requiring archived material to be properly mastered.

The tracklist is completely available, and "River Thames" isn't on there. IIRC, this song was left off of "The Captain and the Kid" because Elton felt it covered territory that they'd covered about his life, and he didn't want to retread it. The song gets pretty personal about Elton ("Dogs without their vocal cords" - a reference to nasty Sun articles about Elton) so I imagine his feeling hasn't changed when it came time to program this set.

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It’s funny. I did three polls here about picking your favorite Elton b-sides many years ago and, while the first one (1968-1978) saw some action, the later polls sunk without a trace! They never even got to a second page of responses! It’s nice to think we maybe have a few more Elton aficionados here now...

Solly Bridgetower and CBackley like this.
  10. ChunkDaMan

I don't know if anyone said it here, but for those using Spotify, they already released two tracks from the Jewel Box set. Sing Me No Sad Songs and Snow Queen.

Natural E likes this.
  11. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Holy crap. I was not expecting this! I've been hoping that we would get some sort of continuation of "Rare Masters" and "To Be Continued..." but it looks like to be that and much more. The fact that this will more or less complete all of the unpublished to CD b sides would have been enough, but all of that unreleased stuff and also Elton doing track by track commentary...its a dream. I'm definitely gonna have to put back money for the CD set at least.

12. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

I feel your excitement! This news literally put me in a great mood today. As Elton is my favorite solo artist, any new release news is great news. But this is something even better. The fact that it was so unexpected and came out of nowhere makes it even that much more exciting.

13. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Hello, CBackley, these two lists [links below] created by Colinjpush and me should help you out:

Create Your Own Compilation
    Create Your Own Compilation

I did my best to narrow down the two lists, cross referencing the Jewel Box track listing:
    8. The Goaldigger's Song [charity single A-side, 1977]*
    9. Ego [single A-side, 1978]
    10. Flinstone Boy ["Ego" B-side, 1978]
    11. I Cry At Night ["Part-Time Love" B-side, 1978]
    12. Lovesick ["Song For Guy" B-side, 1978]
    13. Mama Can't Buy You Love [single A-side, 1979; Thom Bell Sessions EP, 1979]
    14. Strangers ["Victim Of Love" B-side, 1979]
    15. Are You Ready For Love [Thom Bell Sessions EP, 1979]
    16. Three Way Love Affair [Thom Bell Sessions EP, 1979]
    1. Nice And Slow [recorded 1977; The Complete Thom Bell Sessions, 1989]
    2. Country Love Song [recorded 1977; The Complete Thom Bell Sessions, 1989]
    3. Shine On Through [recorded 1977; The Complete Thom Bell Sessions, 1989]
    4. Earn While You Learn ["I'm Still Standing" B-side, 1983]
    5. Dreamboat ["Kiss The Bride" B-side, 1983]
    8. Act Of War [with Millie Jackson] [single A-side, 1985]
    9. The Man Who Never Died ["Nikita" B-side, 1985; "Wrap Her Up" B-side, 1985]
    14. Dancing In The End Zone ["Healing Hands" B-side, 1989]
    15. Love Is A Cannibal ["Sacrifice" B-side, 1989]
    16. Give Peace A Chance ["Club At The End Of The Street" B-side, 1989]
    1. You Gotta Love Someone [Days Of Thunder soundtrack, 1990; The Very Best Of Elton John, 1990; To Be Continued..., 1990; single A-side, 1990]
    3. Easier To Walk Away [The Very Best Of Elton John, 1990; To Be Continued..., 1990; single A-side, 1990]
    4. I Swear I Heard The Night Talkin' [To Be Continued..., 1990; "Easier To Walk Away" B-side, 1990]
    5. Made For Me [To Be Continued..., 1990; "Easier To Walk Away" B-side, 1990]
    6. Suit Of Wolves [To Be Continued..., 1991; "The One" B-side, 1992]
    7. Fat Boys And Ugly Girls ["The One" B-side, 1992]
    8. Can You Feel The Love Tonight [The Lion King, 1994; single A-side, 1994]
    9. Circle Of Life [The Lion King, 1994; single A-side, 1994]
    10. I Just Can't Wait To Be King [The Lion King, 1994]
    11. You Can Make History (Young Again) [Love Songs, 1996; single A-side, 1996]
    12. No Valentines [Love Songs, 1996; "Something About The Way You Look Tonight" B-side, 1997]
    13. Live Like Horses [with Luciano Pavarotti] [single A-side, 1996]
    16. Candle In The Wind 1997 [double A-side single with "Something About The Way You Look Tonight"]
    1. Written In The Stars [with LeAnn Rimes] [Aida, 1999; single A-side, 1999]
    2. I Know The Truth [with Janet Jackson] [Aida, 1999]
    3. A Step Too Far [with Heather Headley and Sherie Scott] [Aida, 1999]
    4. The Messenger [with Lulu] [Aida, 1999]
    5. Perfect Love [The Road To El Dorado bonus disc, 2000]
    6. Hey Armadillo [The Road To El Dorado bonus disc, 2000]
    10. Teardrops [with Lulu] [Songs From The West Coast reissue bonus disc, 2002]
    11. Your Song [with Alessandro Safina] [single A-side, 2002]
    3. Electricity [Billy Elliot soundtrack bonus disc, 2005; Peachtree Road reissue bonus disc, 2005; single A-side, 2005]
    4. The Letter [Billy Elliot soundtrack bonus disc, 2005; Peachtree Road reissue bonus disc, 2005]
    5. Merry Christmas Maggie Thatcher [Billy Elliot soundtrack bonus disc, 2005; Peachtree Road reissue bonus disc, 2005]
    6. Calling It Christmas [with Joss Stone] [Elton John's Christmas Party, 2005]
    7. Across The River Thames [The Captain And The Kid bonus track, 2006]
    8. My Kind Of Hell [with Leon Russell] [The Union bonus track, 2010]
    9. Mandalay Again [with Leon Russell] [The Union bonus track, 2010]
    10. Hello Hello [Gnomeo & Juliet, 2011]
    11. Love Builds A Garden [Gnomeo & Juliet, 2011]
    12. Candlelit Bedroom [The Diving Board bonus track, 2013]
    13. Gauguin Gone Hollywood [The Diving Board bonus track, 2013]
    14. 5th Avenue [The Diving Board bonus track, 2013]
    15. Free And Easy [Wonderful Crazy Night bonus track, 2016]
    16. England And America [Wonderful Crazy Night bonus track, 2016]
    17. Children's Song [Wonderful Crazy Night bonus track, 2016]
    18. No Monsters [Wonderful Crazy Night bonus track, 2016]
    Loving You is Sweeter Than Ever 5:02 [with Kiki Dee] [A-side, November 27, 1981]
    Flames of Paradise 3:58 [with Jennifer Rush] [A-side, May 1987]
    Through the Storm 4:20 [with Aretha Franklin] [April 1989]
    I'm Ready 3:08 [Rock, Rhythm, and Blues, April 1989]
    The Measure of a Man 4:03 [Rocky V OST, November 12, 1990]
    The Pacifier [instrumental] 5:22 [For Our Children, July 3, 1991]
    Some Other World 4:43 [FernGully: The Last Rainforest OST, April 10, 1992]
    Up the Revolution 4:23 [The Bunbury Tails, October 5, 1992]
    Amen 4:42 [with Sounds Of Blackness] [A Tribute To Curtis Mayfield, February 22, 1994]
    But Not for Me 2:59 [Four Weddings And A Funeral OST, April 5, 1994]
    Chapel of Love 3:46 [Four Weddings And A Funeral OST, April 5, 1994]
    Someone to Watch Over Me 3:32 [The Glory Of Gershwin, August 29, 1994]
    Love is Here to Stay 3:07 [The Glory Of Gershwin, August 29, 1994]
    Little Island 3:20 [Faust, September 19, 1995]
    I'm Your Man 4:08 [Tower Of Song (The Songs Of Leonard Cohen), October 2, 1995]
    Red 5:50 [Sol En Sí, November 3, 1995]
    Abide with Me 4:00 [Carnival! – The Rainforest Foundation, April 29, 1997]
    Don't Stop 4:39 [Legacy: A Tribute To Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, March 17, 1998]
    Stand by Your Man 4:28 [Tammy Wynette Remembered, September 8, 1998]
    Wake Up Wendy 5:58 [Chef Aid: The South Park Album, November 24, 1998]
    The Muse 4:23 [The Muse OST, August 24, 1999]
    20th Century Blues 5:32 [20th Century Blues: The Songs Of Noël Coward, November 16, 1999]
    Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 3:01 [Good Rockin' Tonight – The Legacy, October 16, 2001]
    Sofa Love [instrumental] 2:21 [Women Talking Dirty OST, December 3, 2001]
    Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word 3:41 [with Blue] [A-side, December 9, 2002]
    The Heart of Every Girl 3:40 [Mona Lisa Smile OST, December 9, 2003]
    Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word 3:58 [with Ray Charles] [Genius Loves Company, August 31, 2004]
    Rock This House 3:06 [B.B. King & Friends: 80, September 13, 2005]
    Makin' Whoopee 3:44 [with Rod Stewart] [Thanks For The Memory…Volume IV, October 18, 2005]
    In Private 5:07 [with Pet Shop Boys] [Fundamental, May 22, 2006]
    Rags to Riches 2:40 [with Tony Bennett] [Duets (An American Classic), September 26, 2006]
    Blueberry Hill 3:17 [Goin' Home: A Tribute To Fats Domino, September 25, 2007]
    Hier Encore 3:26 [with Charles Aznavour] [Duos, December 2008]
    Yesterday When I was Young 3:26 [with Charles Aznavour] [Duos, December 2008]
    The Drover's Ballad 4:18 [Australia: Music From The Movie, June 9, 2009]
    Snowed in at Wheeler Street 8:05 [with Kate Bush] [50 Words For Snow, November 21, 2011]
    2 Fingers of Whiskey 2:52 [with Jack White] [The American Epic Sessions, June 9, 2017]

14. Solly Bridgetower

Yes, and its three non-LP B-sides!! It's about time. (Well, two non-LP B-sides I guess. I examined the 45 label on "Highlander" the other day and its production credit suggests that it isn't a LJ sessions outtake. All these years I just assumed that it was.)

Over the summer, I did some archival digging/research about EJ’s multi- and two-track master tapes, their ownership and storage locations through the years, etc. And I was relieved to learn that, since 1976 (so, Blue Moves sessions to present), Elton has owned all his own master tapes and has stored them in a secure, climate-controlled vault in England. So, if the Universal vault fire destroyed any Elton recordings, it wouldn’t have been anything from Blue Moves or after.

15. james bostrom

james bostrom New Member

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

So just a few small thingso_O:wtf::eek:

CBackley and Hep Alien like this.
  17. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Fascinating about the masters. I knew he owned them, I didn't realize they were all physically stored in England.

Apparently, Elton has an archivist (Adrian Collee??) who manages his archives and can dig up a show or outtake, etc, on demand. This is in England. Nigel mentioned him once in an article, around the time he recorded "Building a Bird" from the MIE sessions. Elton's archivist dug up the demo so Nigel and his band could record it.

18. ChunkDaMan

That's a reliever. I knew Universal didn't have his Dick James stuff but was wondering who had the masters from that period. I remember seeing the DJM demo master tapes and acetates on previous auction sales from many years ago. Just glad we're going to see a true public release of his really early stuff, earlier than Rare Masters.
    Also listening to Sing Me No Sad Songs on Spotify, it definitly sounds MUCH crisper and cleaner than what I remember listening from the bootlegs on YouTube. Also it's playing in the correct speed, not slow and dreadful.

Please... Diamonds would have been a great comp from EJ, but the mastering is insane. I compared some tracks from my Greatest Hits 1970 - 2002 CD with the tracks from Diamonds. Even though I prefer neither to listen to, the 2002 set sounds listenable and not loudly-muffled.

Best EJ news in a very long time since Wonderful Crazy Night, or even much before.

19. Solly Bridgetower

If you mean on CD, then yes, I agree. However, LP buyers will have that option I believe. One of the box's vinyl permutations is a 3-LP set of just the demos and b-sides. But it doesn't offer all the demos and b-sides that the CDs do. (Which makes me grin a little. Because, much as I love vinyl, there's no denying that optical discs just carry so much more, and maybe shouldn't receive the hate they often do from analog/vinyl elitists.)

20. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Funny, kwadguy :D
    Well, some of those songs were collected on his The Classic Years CD series, issued in 1998. And many of the other songs are him guesting with a lead vocal on someone else's album/recording.
    But, yes, it would be fantastic (Captain, even :hide:) for these to be collected on another boxed set...

Colinjpush and CBackley like this.
  21. ChunkDaMan

Not to spam, but this thread is all hype. Spotify Premium has CD quality audio (if you tune your streaming settings to max and turn the audio normalizer off), I would like to know how good the vinyl version compared to CD (mastering-wise, not just 'it's warmer than CD').

22. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Decades of waiting have finally ended! I can't believe this news! I was hoping that Joni Mitchell's upcoming Archives releases would inspire Elton to follow suit and he has! To me it's mainly about those magical early demos. Now we can finally hear Nina (You're My Woman), and Watching The Planes Go By in their full glory.

Colinjpush, factory44 and Hep Alien like this.
  23. David Robinson

David Robinson Forum Resident

Yes, but importantly, all those tracks are available on CD already (with the exception I believe of The Goaldiggers Song and Dreamboat (short version)

24. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

Hopefully at some point in the near future they'll release some of the BBC (and other) radio broadcast material such as the great live versions of Lady Samantha, and Sails etc. Plus the song Digging My Grave which was also performed live and is not on this set. It would also be great to have some of the rare publisher demos like Desdemona, and more. I guess we can't have everything all at once though!

Neil Barrett and Hep Alien like this.
  25. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

instant pre order.

I am beyond excited for this, however seeing the quite large list above stating that it's all the rare/b-sides unreleased stuff that isn't on here,
    i feel like there should be a part 2 to this box set then!

can't wait to get this!!!