Elton John "Jewel" 8 CD box set coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Sep 16, 2020.

1. David Robinson

David Robinson Forum Resident

Fair enough

2. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

It’s a compendium of the work of composer Francis Lai. 14 CDs and was released in France only. From Denver to LA is on Disc 8. I’m not sure of the title of the set off the top of my head but should be easy to identify on Discogs.

Edit - it’s called Francis Lai Story

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I recently did some research on “The Goaldiggers Song,” and unfortunately it doesn’t look likely it’ll ever be rereleased.
    It’s an interesting single, with the A-side at 45 rpm and the B-side at 33 1/3 rpm

4. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Wow! Fantastic job! Now we just need to see that cover art :)

5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

interesting. I would have put Burning Buildings and A Word In Spanish on any deep cut compilation and there are many other worthy numbers. This comp has made me reappraise the two songs from Leather Jackets though

fredblue, Matthew Tate and Colinjpush like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Listening to the b-sides discs yesterday, I just realized how many CDs and 45s i have that have suddenly become superfluous. Of the 36 cuts, I think I had physical copies of 33 of them...

7. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I’ve got the first 18 on vinyl (stored and not played for 35 years) After the Ice in Fire era it was exclusively CDs for me but for some reason it took me years to be bothered with CD singles. The only CD single by Elton I have is The Last Song.

Lewisboogie and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I did my best to compile all the B-Sides available on Spotify and isolate them from the album tracks:

B-Elton – The (almost) Complete Elton John B-Sides Collection, a playlist by Nuno Bento on Spotify

Carlox, Hep Alien, Colinjpush and 2 others like this.
  9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

As already stated- its an outstanding box set. love the book and setup of the set.
    finally got my grubby hands on this box set, delivered today. Time to dive in...

[​IMG]

10. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

i love the song Angel Tree ! reminds me of Badfinger great box set!

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

No deep hatred from me. I love Poor Cow and also the similarly despised Did He Shoot Her from Breaking Hearts. Both are great songs! Love them.
    Also, you are definitely not alone in feeling that Curtains doesn't feel complete on its own.

Jayseph, fredblue and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I share the love for Breaking Hearts too as an Album. I'll even go as far to say I think it's better than Too Low For Zero! A bit of a bummer nothing from it made it in,but with such an extensive catalogue some stuff is bound to slip through the cracks.

Made it through the three rarities discs tonight. It's fun to listen to Elton develop through those three discs from the guy gigging with Bluesology into the guy who made the Elton John,Tumbleweed and Madman albums. It's sort of a missing piece of his history that puts his 1970 arrival on the scene in perspective. It's also great to hear Bernie becoming more confident in his lyrical prowess. It was illuminating listening to these guys finding their voice and hearing Reg Dwight and Bernie Taupin morph into the amalgam that was/is Elton John.

Tomorrow...the b sides!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  13. Michael Manning

Michael Manning Forum Resident

A close friend got in his 9 LP set from the Elton website. He confirmed for me that the book did not come with it. He also let me know that his record 2/side 2 is off-round.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

Big fan of "Breaking Hearts" which may be partly due to the way that I first heard it. I was fortunate enough to hear it after having dinner with Elton John while he was on tour in Australia in March 1984. He played it for me and a friend in his hotel room, it was the first time he was hearing the final mix. I will never forget it :)

15. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

WOW!! top that :shtiphat:
    i hope everyone was happy with the outcome, especially Elton having never heard it finished!! :bigeek:

Lewisboogie and CBackley like this.
  16. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Finally got around to opening the 8-CD box set...my first impressions:
    • As an Elton fan for over 30 years, and owner of virtually every box set he's ever put out, this one tops them all. The beautiful presentation, the very well designed book, the thoughtfulness in how it's presented. A lot of care was put into the design of the spreads, and it was as much a joy to read through as To Be Continued. A lot of memorabilia shown throughout, including raw lyric sheets, old sheet music book covers, tour passes. Someone did a ton of scouring and scanning to make this feel really immersive. Even the CDs are tipped into thick, card-stock pages, so they don't create a "mound" in the center of the book. There's even a tassel for bookmarking.
    • Really enjoyed the sequencing of Deep Cuts - though as others have noted, the volume jumps all over the place. Hoop of Fire, for example, is rather low (like on the LJ album) then Emperor's New Clothes is really loud (like the SFTWC CD). I really don't believe this whole set was mastered for this release, these feel like they were pulled from existing masterings and just transferred.
    • Elton's notes in the Deep Cut section are nice, albeit brief. I'm amazed they got him to comment on every song, but would've been great for his to embellish some more. Though, in a way, this feels like a continuation of his Me autobiography in a way, which was criticized for not getting much into the 'musical' side of things. Jewel Box redeems that a little bit.
    • Elton clearly listened to all the old albums to choose songs, and some of his insights are quite surprising - admitting there are "horrors" on Leather Jackets, but also calling out a few songs as decent.
    • This set is a 'must-have' for hardcore Elton fans, and even a consideration for those who crave a less-commercial overview of Elton's career.
    • Jewel Box puts the Diamonds box to shame - it's more substantial, better designed, in line with the McCartney archive coffee-table like sets.

I just saw this set is once again around $76 at udiscover music - a great price. I will say I ordered two of the vinyl sets from them (Deep Cuts & And this is Me), and both arrived damaged - but the CD box set came in a special box meant for shipping, so it arrived unscathed. I only bought the vinyl because I love the sequencing of having odd tracks on vinyl, but knowing the packaging is also quite nice on those, I'll be exchanging for undamaged copies.

17. kippyy

kippyy Forum Resident

Loving some of these Rarities!
    Still seeing Japanese titles when using db poweramp to rip Disc 5.
    Any ideas how to circumvent this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. This is a terrific set. Nicely packaged and designed. Now let’s get the next set. Yes, it has its flaws (what set today doesn’t?) but it’s a joy to have this. This, along with the Richard & Linda Thompson, Tears for Fears and Bob Mould sets are my top 5.

19. ‘Scarecrow” is on the Amazon streaming version as I recall.

20. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

Got mine last week and Same with me as far as great condition.

Eric_Generic and BeSteVenn like this.
  21. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my guess is that was simply created to give elton his final hits release celebrating his 50th. anyone think elton is going to make another studio album?

22. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Elton mentioned in a couple interviews recently that the original plan was to write a new Album while he was touring Australia and New Zealand. Bernie had given him a stack of lyrics late last year/early this year and while he was touring he'd use his down time to compose. Then he got sick while touring Australia, recovered and continued with the tour ,then Covid hit pretty much ending his tour for now and so far he says he hasn't been inspired to write as he's been enjoying being with his family and kept busy with things like this project.

So the answer is the plan is that he and Bernie want to make another record. The question is when. If I had to bet,we will probably not see another album until after the tour wraps,which is now looking like it won't until sometime 2023. He has a lot of dates to make up and recently they've announced he's adding more dates on top of that.

23. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Has anyone ordered theirs from Amazon (UK)? If so, how did it arrive....Universal packaging, or just Amazon's own style of superior packaging?

EG.

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

oh wow, good for him

Hep Alien, Bill007 and CBackley like this.
  25. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

Here you go. Sorry it took long:

[​IMG]