Elton John "Jewel" 8 CD box set coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Strong card box containing the box set which must be Universal as it had the title of the set on a sticker, plus Amazon’s outer box with brown paper packing within. Very well packaged and no damage.

2. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I was 14 also!

I blew a tweeter playing it loud.

Little pair of Wharfedales.

My first "hifi" experience.

Lewisboogie and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I had a homemade 8w mono system my Grandad built me. The first speaker was mounted in an old TV cabinet, then he set me up with a 12” ex music while you work war time speaker in a giant cabinet with a tweeter on top. The turntable was Garrard. It sounded great.

sonnyrock and Nobby like this.
  4. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Brilliant, thanks! Like the Tears For Fears sets, then.

EG.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Managed to snag this for £67.50, which is more palatable than the current price of £90 on Amazon UK. I'm not an Elton die hard, but this set looks good.

6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Both b side discs are fabulous.

7. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i'd like to hear from resident eltonologst @sollybridgewater on his observations on all things jewel box related! he may be busy researching global djm matrix numbers. :D

yes - elton will positively record again. he tells rolling stone (?) he's simply neither inspired nor ready to go into elton john mode with a set of lyrics from bernie at present. however, as we've all seen his notes in the set for a post farewell yellow brick road career, he's obviously looking forward. and honestly, i'd never say never, but i don't see elton fully retiring for some time. just what that 'some time' is, however...

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Where?!

9. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Elton John - Jewel Box (CD)

Leave it in your basket for 24 hours and you should receive an email offering you 10 percent off if you complete the purchase - ALMOSTLOST

10. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Thanks for this, @jl151080 :righton:

I'd cancelled my amazon pre-order as I was fed up with so many damaged boxsets/digipaks arriving, but didn't know if I'd find it as cheap (£82) again. This worked out £15 cheaper!

EG.

MicSmith and jl151080 like this.
  11. leavingthistown

leavingthistown Forum Resident

This is a long thread that i haven't the time to go thru so can i ask a question:

There is obviously a lot less on the records than the cds. Is this deficit made up on the digital downloads that come with the records, or do they just feature the songs from the vinyl?

12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Haven't opened my vinyl yet - they arrived damaged and am awaiting a response from my vendor. But I will report back once I finally get them opened. I'm in the US though and we often never get those vinyl download codes.

Eric_Generic and leavingthistown like this.
  13. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but could anyone with the To Be Continued box say if the booklet gives the venue/date for the 1977 live version of "I Feel Like A Bullet"? Thanks!

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. ether-bored

may 7, 1977 = rainbow theater = london...

15. Timjosephuk

Awesome. Thanks!!

Matthew Tate and ether-bored like this.
  16. ether-bored

oops! make that 07/05/1977... :laugh:

17. Timjosephuk

As in 5th July?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. ether-bored

you're in the uk, mate.... (5th may!) 11/17/70 vs 17/11/70...?

Timjosephuk and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Loving this box. Selection, presentation and sound quality make this box a must buy!

20. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Is it me, or is the "demo" version of "It's Me That You Need" on Disc 5 (or whatever disc it is) just a rough/basic mix of the master version but with a different vocal? The piano, drums, etc. are exactly the same, at least for the first minute or so.

Incidentally, a few weeks ago someone on another EJ forum pointed out that the "live at the BBC" version of "Your Song" on the 2008 Elton John deluxe was not live at all but just a string-less mix of the master version. I'd never noticed it, as I've heard that song a bazillion times and had never bothered to play that "live" version before.

PS - "Watching the Planes Go By" and the demo version of "All Across the Havens" are emerging as my favorite picks from those demos discs. Wow, just wow!

21. ChunkDaMan

ChunkDaMan America's Favorite CD Junkie

For anyone wanting to know DR values, I already uploaded all 8 discs to the Dynamic Range DB!
    Rarities and B-sides finally got the proper mastering treatment. The other discs have lower DR values.

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

22. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I've been waiting to start getting into this box until tonight!

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thank you! What bizarre mastering overall. I don't think I've ever seen such a mix of dynamic and digitally limited mastering within the same set.

24. bluenote9

bluenote9 Forum Resident

This company have 20% off all stock today only for Black Friday, got the Elton set for £60 delivered, great price

Matthew Tate and Eric_Generic like this.
  25. ericscho

ericscho Forum Resident

To me it looks like they used a lot of the existing tracks (b-sides & deep cuts) just 'as is' and put them on the master set how they were originally ? The rarities stuff is mastered much more consistently.