Elton John "Jewel" 8 CD box set coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Wow. I thought £67 was cheap.

EG.

2. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

You're probably right. It just seems like an odd decision to go "part way" with mastering a set. It's like the unreleased material and older B-Sides that hadn't seen a digital release got a nice new dynamic mastering while for anything already mastered recently, you're just stuck with what we have. That's why I've been torn on this one (also, I'm not a "super fan"). For me it'd be like "I have 4.5 to 5 CDs out of 8 that would be an enjoyable listening experience for me...how much is that worth?". I don't need the deep cuts as I already have the 2018 SHM-CDs (sans "Empty Sky"). The B-Sides past 1984 (it seems) will be dynamically "compromised" shall we say. I don't know...like I said, it's just an odd decision to have made IMO, but likely to have been done for financial reasons (at least that's what I'm guessing).

3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I just started delving into this set last night. I'm not a superfan either, but I'm really enjoying it so far, even with the inconsistent mastering. The use of different sources is noticeable, but generally I don't find it that distracting. Quite a few of the deep cuts and B-sides are new to me, so I'm just enjoying the music. I'd recommend getting the set, especially if you can find it at a good price (which shouldn't be difficult). The packaging and book are very well done and such details aren't always a priority for me with such releases.

4. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Not to be negative or pick apart this amazing, must have collection for any major Elton John collection, however I do believe it's worth mentioning that there are some signs of potential modifications from the original plan compared to what we received within the final product. These changes (given my theory is correct) were likely done to keep costs down (both production costs and the prices for us purchasing fans) and perhaps to ensure that the set came out by the end of this year.

First, they could have very well had an initial plan on the table for all of the previously released studio tracks that appear on the box to feature new (if necessary), consistent remastering (with consistent volume levels). Also, another sign of a potential reduction of plans for the Jewel Box involves how the "Rarities" and "B-Sides 1976-2005" appear on the vinyl edition(s); I would think that it's safe to say that the combination of these two segments in to one vinyl package, where many "Rarities" selections are omitted and the b-sides are reduced to... well, a single b-side of a record with just five selections, is a likely result of the record company stepping in at some point and requesting that changes be made to get the costs down a bit.

5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

The fact that this was done in such a short time lends credence to the fact that the mastering is all over the place. Anything existing wasn't remastered, just comped in. New stuff was obviously mastered for the first time and thus feels more cohesive.

It's a box set, so I personally am not complaining.

6. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

It's too bad it's sold out at UDiscover in the U.S. They were selling it for $76.86 as part of their Black Friday sale.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Amazon US has been doing a 3-for-2 offer for Thanksgiving/Black Friday, and the vinyl boxes are included - good way to get a great price for anyone interested in picking them up.

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  8. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

It was sold out for awhile there earlier, but was restocked. The set's price is already pretty reasonable, but I'm sure it will continue to be discounted at other outlets. Just keep your eyes open.

Matthew Tate and jhm like this.
  9. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Maybe it should have an assembly credit, not a mastering credit.

10. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Since the news first broke about it, I've had the growing feeling that this box set was not originally planned for a 2020 release. I don't recall any whispers about it, any leaks of any kind before the news broke. Yet usually there's something, some hint of a forthcoming major release -- but for this, no. (Maybe there was, but I missed it?) Anyway, perhaps when COVID hit and postponed the remainder of EJ's farewell tour, Rocket pushed this ahead to help counterbalance the revenue loss? That might help explain why some things about it seem unfinished or compromised. ??

11. ChunkDaMan

ChunkDaMan America's Favorite CD Junkie

Hoping we'll get some of those final band versions of the DJM demos as an album release (hinting what Colinipush said)… Would be nice to hear a non-bootleg final version of 'And The Clock Goes Round' and 'When I Was Tealby Abbey'. But honestly, would be even best as well if we can finally get some demo tracks from each studio album (West Coast/Big Picture/Peachtree sessions, etc.). Also don't forget Elton's studio tracks for the Aida album!

Hep Alien, Colinjpush and BeSteVenn like this.
  12. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

i considered it as a revenue loss counter, too. however, if one does the math it really is a drop in the bucket relatively.

this isn’t the first elton product out with emi, is it....?

13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

In the US and Canada his new product has been on EMI labels since 2013, Universal bought EMI in 2012.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The related question is whether the rest of the show is sitting an archive somewhere, begging for an official release.

15. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Yeah I think it's highly likely the reason we got this now was because of covid and the loss of revenue due to the delayed tour. This was probably something that was probably planned in the back of Elton's mind for after his tour was complete to act as a "bookend " to his career to that point,which it still sort of does in all fairness. But with the delay they decided to pull the trigger now.

This thing is doing so well,I have little doubt Elton and his team aren't already looking for other things in the vault to release in the near future. The classic concert youtube series I believe was a trial balloon to see if there was any interest in releasing live shows . Could we see a sequel of sorts to jewel box that focuses on his live stuff both audio and video wise? I think theres a chance we could. Not right away, but after his tour finally ends?

16. Colinjpush

Colinjpush Master of Rhythm and Pacing

I’m thinking the same thing. I’ve said many times before, Elton and his team should do what The Rolling Stones have been doing recently with their live 2CD/DVD or Blu-ray sets released by Eagle Rock of past tours. There’s literally dozens of shows they could do for Elton, across all eras. There’s been so many live concert films that have been released on VHS and Laserdisc that I’ve been dying to see in great quality, but hoping they can do the full shows wherever possible. Same with a music video collection. I know his YouTube has most of them but there’s still a chunk that haven’t been posted yet (“Ball and Chain,” “Empty Garden” [was on the Elton in Four Decades disc in the Dream Ticket set but perplexingly haven’t appeared on the channel yet], “Crocodile Rock,” “Simple Life,” “Paris,” “Heartache All Over The World,” “Please,” etc., just some off the top of my head). I’d love to hear Elton’s commentary on a lot of these too lol. Apologies, I know I’ve posted about this before probably a couple times over by now, just not sure where/when I posted and on what thread lol. I’ll keep repeating until someone heeds these requests! I’ve staunchly supported a B-side set for years then Jewel Box comes along suddenly so somebody out there is aware of what we’re all vying after!

17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I'd be happy with Nugs style releases similar to what Bruce Springsteen has done, or the Grateful Dead Dave's Picks series, but don't believe it would happen. Elton's fan base is just as dedicated, but tends to consume his music a bit differently.

18. Solly Bridgetower

Here's an EJ collector on YouTube that has what he describes as a 2CD-R of the Rainbow show (see 13:00) -- not a copy of the Rainbow Rock boot, but something given to him (he claims) by a friend who had worked at Capitol (???) at the time. (Of all labels, why would Capitol have released it?) Apparently, the entire show was set for an official release as Rocket Man Over the Rainbow sometime in the 1990s but got spiked at the last minute.

But I'm not sure I believe it. The would-be title sounds like something a bootleg label would've devised. Rainbow Rock eventually appeared, of course. Either way, I'm confident that, yes, the entire show survives in EJ's archives.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  19. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

the Rainbow show is the thing I want to see get an official release more than other Elton show. Had the whole thing on tape at the time it was first broadcast but that tape is long lost.....

Oyster Boy likes this.
  20. Solly Bridgetower

The Rainbow Rock boot used to be fairly easy to find on eBay, either as a 2CD original (I believe the label was called Silver Rarities) or as a CD-R set with no artwork. But not anymore, apparently. It's on YouTube in its entirety, in any event.

For a while, I thought it might turn up as a RSD item. But when the live in Moscow 2-LP appeared last year, I figured we'd probably never see the Rainbow show, at least not while EJ is still calling the shots. But who knows, maybe we will after all. I never thought he'd ever, *ever* release the rarities he just released on Jewel Box; so, I'm learning not to trust my intincts entirely on those things anymore!

21. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I got my Jewel Box yesterday on my birthday! So far I've just been reading the book. For Canadian fans who remember hearing it on the radio way back when (like I do), there's an omission in the book regarding cover versions of Elton's early demos and singles. I found this regarding "I've Been Loving You":

"In 1976, the Canadian band Wednesday (later changed to Wenzday) covered the song under the title ""Loving You Baby"". It was a substantial hit in their native country, peaking at #6 on the Canadian singles charts."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  22. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

Ok thanks I’ll check out the YouTube version for now.

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  23. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Never heard of a cancelled release - unless it was a bootleg label that was going to release it and it was cancelled. Only other thought is it was considered in lieu of "One Night Only."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I don't feel this set was compromised - in fact, quite the opposite - it's insanely well put together. The design, the layout, the "chapters" of music on the CDs. Some of the notes are dated "July 2020" so it obviously was begun early in the pandemic. Maybe it was meant for the future, but pushed up due to the pandemic, but they've clearly spent at least half a year on it, which I don't think is rushed. And the promotion for it has been huge - as big as any Elton studio album.

You just have to realize, any set with so many disparate tracks from so many sources and albums isn't going to be 100% consistent in its sound. This isn't a studio album. It's a collection of songs, some of which are old reel to reel or acetate masers from over half a century ago. We also don't really know what was lost in that Universal fire, so there's a chance some less-than-ideal masters had to be used. Aside from some loudness variations, I've found the set to be quite enjoyable, I'm amazed how good the demos sound.

25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

My set arrived. Thank goodness for Universal's bespoke packaging. That's what these sets need...to be bolstered on all sides. One corner/side took a big hit on the outer box, but is totally unscathed because of the extra cardboard sections inside.

EG.