Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Man, I'm shocked at this info. For someone who doesn't care for EJ, you are very attentive to his catalog. I'm kinda confused at this revelation.

2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

"The Show Must Go On"

I wouldn't do it for this thread, but for Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more , where we try to explore almost all new Mini LP releases: what remaster they will use, what's worth buying. Sometimes (as in the case of Elton), it makes sense to look into the past and find out what has been done. There was some confusion about previous Japanese releases...

I considered two Greatest Hits albums. I found out that they were remastered in Japan in 2009 and released as a part of the 13 albums second Elton Promo box release in 2010.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want everything to be strait and clear at this thread, regardless of whether I am a fan of the artist or not.
    As we can see now, it is a big significance of this, "only in Japan", but, unfortunately, cancelled release, since 5 albums of this set have never been remastered since 1995 at all.

On the other hand, the cancellation was right thing to do if they could not do it right.
    Since their announcement in April 2018, the Japanese have expressed concerns about the sound sources: "Features 2018 remastering based on the original UK master tapes (subject to change)". (Post #407, Page 17)

Then at end of September Uni made the final decision to proceed with the UK OMT, but cut off the bonus tracks due to lack of time. (Post #601, Page 25). They also decided on the Box - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Artwork should be used for it. (They usually do not repeat boxes, but earlier it was a slipcase box, not a drawer box).

From this particular moment on, I believe, they start working on the production, perhaps, not yet of pressing the discs, but of covers, boxes and other elements. For nearly two months, they could make a lot, and it may stay already in warehouse.

It was not a regular release; It was the 50th Anniversary release. I do not know to what extent, but Elton was involved, he approved the content. Thus, they still have some obligations to the artist ...

This cancellation may for us only, but it is not for them.
    They are likely to continue working on this, as we speak, trying different sound sources for some albums.
    Of course, they cannot release it as advertised, but I think it will be another advertisement... and not for so long.

Yes, guys, the show must go on...

3. Thanks, man!

Hey, if it (future SHM CDs of EJ's catalog) pans out I'll be very happy. If it doesn't then I'm okay (for the moment). :)

You've been extremely helpful concerning this thread. I appreciate it greatly.

4. His research and knowledge on the various Japanese releases is encyclopedic. Very glad the good doctor is in the house.

Oyster Boy and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  5. toilet_doctor

I dug Japanese Mini LP releases of Elton in 80's, and again I was wrong that the next 13 albums of his second set were all 2009 remaster. Yes, both Greatest Hits albums (I checked before) and also Rare Masters really are unique Japanese remaster. But that's only it is. Those who want to have a sampler of industry technological progress (16, 20, earlier 2003 and later 2009 24-bit mastering), should buy this set.
    There is a word from Japan that the 1996 Blue Moves has 20-bit remaster. So there are 3 more albums with the 1998 remaster. Who can confirm?

2010 13 albums Japan Mini LP SHM-CD set

Album Number / Title / Original Release Date / Remastering Date

①Hear And There - Live in London [1974] +16 2CD 1976 (1995)
    ②Blue Moves 2CD (1996; 20 bit resolution; Sadie Digital System and Prism Super Noise Shaper [?])
    ③A Single Man +5 1978 (1998; 20 bit resolution; Sadie Digital System and Prism Super Noise Shaper)
    ④Victim Of Love 1979 (2003)
    ⑤21 At 33 1980 (2003)
    ⑥The Fox 1981 (2003)
    ⑦7 Jump Up! 0 1982 (2003)
    ⑧Too Low For Zero +3 1983 (1998)
    ⑨Breaking Hearts 1984 (2003)
    ⑩Ice On Fire + 4 1985 (1998)
    ⑪Elton John's Greatest Hits 1974 (2009 Uni, Japan)
    12 Elton John's Greatest Hit Vol.2 1976 (2009 Uni, Japan)
    13 Rare Masters 1992 (2009 Uni, Japan)

I think Rocket did this 2003 remaster - 5 out of 13 albums, which were released in 2003 (jewel case): "In commemoration of the opening of Shiki Theatrical Company's Disney Musical "Aida", Elton John re-released the 13 titles at a time." They were released in Europe as well.

Japanese did great job on the packaging:

[​IMG]

Inside cover:

[​IMG]

As many Mini LP SHM-CD sets of 2008-10, this one also was Limited Numbered Edition. Each album had two black inserts with facsimile LP center sticker and Copy Number:

[​IMG]
    Your Copy No. 0029
    How many copies were printed? I think no more than 5000.

White insert with lyrics has some credit info:

[​IMG]

Album Number (in circle) printed on the spine of OBI:

[​IMG]

6. toilet_doctor

There are also two inner sleeve replicas:

[​IMG]

A Single Man

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jayseph and Oyster Boy like this.
  7. toilet_doctor

Thank you for your kind word... I just learned something for 20 years of collecting Mini LPs, but someone could have read Japanese in that time.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  8. toilet_doctor

Update:
    Not 5, but 7 out of 11 albums didn't get 24-bit treatment:

2008 11 albums Japan Mini LP SHM-CD box set

Album Number / Title / Original Release Date / Remastering Date

①Tumbleweed Connection +13 2CD 1970 (2008)
    ②17-11-70 +1 1971 (1995)
    ③Madman Across the Water 1971 (1995)
    ④Honky Chateau +1 1972 (1995)
    ⑤Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player +4 1973 (1995)
    ⑥Goodbye Yellow Brick Road +4 2CD 1973 (2003)
    ⑦Caribou +4 1974 (1995)
    ⑧Captain Fantastic +16 2CD 1973 (2005)
    ⑨Rock Of The Westies +1 1975 (1995)
    ⑩Empty Sky +4 1969 (1995)
    ⑪Elton John +20 2CD 1970 (2008)

Shvartze Shabbos and Oyster Boy like this.
  9. :laugh:

10. And the only reason that 4 were remastered were for the deluxe editions and/or the SACD’s. Oh well. Hopefully this is still on track for the future.

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

Four e-mails later and not even an acknowledgment from CDJapan. PayPal won't touch it because it's over 180 days old. I've been ordering from them since 2004 and don't even want to think how much I've spent. I'm sure that it's just lost in the system. Tune in next week...

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

toilet_doctor likes this.
  12. toilet_doctor

Both Greatest Hits and Rare Masters were remastered by Japanese in 2009 and 5 more 80's albums in 2003 by Rocket (check Post #231)

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Was Rare Masters actually remastered or just reissued?

14. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

I believe that it was remastered, but not in a good way. The word "brittle" comes to mind. I can't believe that it's anything more than a manipulation of the 1992 set. There's no way they pulled all of those tapes just for a limited run, mini-LP package. On the other hand, it was kind of cool to get a mini Lady Samantha LP sleeve as part of the package.

I'm taking the next couple of weeks off and I will add "EJ SHMs" to my listening list. Perhaps I'll be able to come up with a more definitive reply.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That would certainly be my guess.

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Especially since it's not uncommon practice in Japan...

17. Funnily enough, Upon receiving my SHM CD of Rare Masters, I thought that I had been ripped-off -- thinking I had only gotten 1/2 of the set. The Lady Samantha sleeve had me worried for a bit, before I figured it all out. Weird approach for a SHM CD presentation (i.e. - no warning / explanation before-hand).

18. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Snow Queen is on the upcoming Kiki Dee Rocket Years box set! Amazon UK has a collectors edition with a signed card available. Really like those albums so preordered and Snow Queen is the ultimate bonus.

19. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

wow! thanks for the info!

20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Thanks indeed

peace and love✌Dave

toilet_doctor and Oyster Boy like this.
  21. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I don't see how they could improve the sound much compared to the MFSL, DCC or previous SHM-SACD/Platinum CD versions.

22. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

I just checked CD Japan and there seems to be very little available at all disc wise for Elton. I was surprised. Hopefully something is in the pipeline.

23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

After giving up on this series I went for the "GYBR" 2014 Ludwig remaster and quite like it.

24. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Good luck.

crazywater likes this.
  25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I have gone back to the future with Elton CDs. Now got the following unremastered CDs and am really happy with them, especially the Polydor Here and There, the second side of which is the best version I have ever heard (and that includes the vinyl I had back in the day).
    Empty Sky. DJM
    S/T Polydor
    Tumbleweed DJM
    Madman DJM
    11/17/70. Polydor
    Honky Chateau MCA
    DSMIOTPP DJM
    GBYBR DJM
    Caribou DJM
    Capt. Fantastic DJM
    ROTW DJM
    Here and There Polydor

So despite being initially gutted by the cancellation of the SHMs last year, these have more than made up for it.

toilet_doctor likes this.