Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

How we listen and what we prefer is personal. So no one can object to your preferences.

2. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Just listened without headphones sounds the same to me :( I was going to take out my Audio Techica's but I guess that won't make a difference. I was considering buying Blue Moves and Maybe Caribou which I don't already own but now I'm not sure when I can get hem for $10 at a local store. I saw a used original Blue Moves vinyl for $15 recently. I either listen to vinyl at home or digitally with my headphones at the gym or on the bus. Sometimes on the computer if I'm drawing.

3. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I was really hoping to hear a difference :(

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As long as you're happy with what you have, great! You just saved yourself about $300.

5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

We’ve paid a big attention to Caribou. Let’s look into it.

Caribou

First impression:
    After direct comparison:
    After reading all of this, I have no choice:
    Caribou will go two grade down to the category "Good" due to trebles roll-off together with its vitality and punch in order to eliminate heavy brightness.
    However, good dynamics, clarity and details still keep it in a good position.

Caribou - Good (the matter of preference: roll-off trebles of SHM vs. heavy brightness of DJM CD)

I want to thank you everyone for these nice and careful comparisons, for your time and opinions.
    I wish that every Elton album would be analyzed like this and we can make some sense of it.

PhantomStranger and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Ranking List (subject to change)

Elton John S/T – Best (second best after SHM-SACD)
    Elton John Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player – Best (the best digital version)
    And Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Best (the best digital version)
    Blues Moves – Best (the best digital version)
    Caribou - Good (the matter of preference: roll-off trebles of SHM vs. heavy brightness of DJM CD)

Who can compare S/T vs. SHM-SACD?

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Caribou is my favourite of The Dudgeon remasters.

wayneklein and Oyster Boy like this.
  8. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

This thread is driving me insane!
    I read page after page of opinions saying this or that album sound amazing so on Friday I bit the bullet and ordered "Honky", "Don't Shoot Me" and "Caribou".
    Now...not days ago when it mattered, but now, people are saying there's rolled off highs on Caribou...it's clarity is what I love about it!
    Help me.....aagghh.

9. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I thought Caribou sounded fantastic. Not as jaw-dropping as Blue Moves, but fantastic nonetheless.

10. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

The SHM Caribou sounds fabulous, no worries on the sound quality.

Oyster Boy, Bemagnus, Jelloza and 2 others like this.
  11. My assessement

HC & GYBR- it’s too close to call between the Mofi and the Shm.

Oyster Boy, PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  12. The restrained treble benefits Caribou and, if you color it a bit on your own system with a bit more bass, it still has the same punch. I prefer the treble rolled off a bit as it could come across as shrill at times. Honestly, one of the problems of a flat transfer is that, depending on the playback speakers when the final mix is done, that will also color the perception of the album and influence the mix.

Oyster Boy and Jelloza like this.
  13. daleyguy

daleyguy Forum Resident

And then the lovely melodic piano run after that.

The song is total magic. I've always thought it was Elton and Bernie's masterpiece.

14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Same with Tumbleweed Connection IMO. I definitely prefer the SHM for Honky, but both are great. It's more about which sound signature do you prefer. Again, all IMO only.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Why don't you sample "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" from the SHM of Caribou posted here and decide for yourself:

Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

16. I felt that the SHM for DSMIOTPP was very close to my DJM and my MCA. Some slight differences. I'm still glad I bought them as I also loved the gatefolds and various sleeve designs for EJ's albums.

The 70's were truly a great time for the design of packaging for albums.

17. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well I already gave my thoughts on the new "Blue Moves", which for me is the clear winner for best digital sound of what I've heard.

I have since played my new SHM-CD of "Rock & The Westies", "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" & "Captain Fantastic" and here are my thoughts on them:

Rock Of The Westies - I went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth with Kevin's A.F. mastering and I have to give it by a 1/2 point to the SHM-CD, but in all honesty if you have the A.F., you're pretty good for this one in my opinion! Best track to show off both versions to me is "Street Kids"

Goodbye Yellow Brick Wall - Again, it was a long back and forth battle between this SHM-CD and my MFSL and in the end I once again give the green light to that new SHM-CD by a hair and to me it's simply because of the touch better sound of Nigel's great drums on this album, but there really isn't a damn thing wrong with the MFSL Gold CD, which I still thank Steve Hoffman for turning me on to it!. Best track to show off both versions to me is "The Ballad Of Danny Bailey"

Captain Fantastic - My go-to CD version has been the original Japan for US MCA original and I have to be honest and say that once again, that MCA pressing that I've stood by for years is really not bettered all that much by the new SHM-CD, but I do give it a slight upper hand once again because there is just that little extra oomph in Nigel's drums on the tracks that have that great out of the blue drumming. Best track to show off both versions to me is "Curtains".

As always, this is just another opinion, mine here, but you may find a different version that your own hearing is pleased by better.

ispace, Carlox, lonelysea and 11 others like this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To each their own. It sounds uncomfortably rolled off to me.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It s interesting to read all the comments here. Also impressed by the dry and structured way some compare different editions.
    With that said I reach music in a very different way. I just put the CD into the device, chill out and enjoy the music. In the case of these CD-s some sounded so incredible good music that one couldn’t help but take notice.
    If the edition is worth buying if one already have other editions of the same album can only be answered by the presumptive buyer. For me it was an easy option since I did not own the majority of these in digital format. I love both the music of these albums and find these new editions one of the finest I ever purchased
    So all is good

Carlox, jhm, Oyster Boy and 4 others like this.
  20. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

I’m waiting on Blue moves and Rock of the Westies , but I find your insights on on the others dead on....

Chris C, Oyster Boy and Bemagnus like this.
  21. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

You are in for a treat with Blue Moves.
    I am also waiting on ROTW

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

My SHMs still haven't arrived, but on Friday night I played the GBYBR MFSL for the first time in ages. Wow, I was really impressed and yet again the wife said, as she's said about other old Elton CDs, "how can this sound any better?". Well if the SHM sounds like it, but with improved drum sound I will be more than happy and I am sure the wife will.

supermd likes this.
  23. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

with GYBR which MFL's are you comparing because was two versions on gold disc?

Ultradisc process 1 or 2 if i remember correctly

Oyster Boy likes this.
  24. TinyDancer

TinyDancer Forum Resident

Whilst it is not his best album it shows an evolving musician finding his feet and stands as a piece of history in the story of Elton John. If it hadn’t been for Empty Sky there may not have been any more Elton John.

I’m listening to the SHM as I write this and whilst quite bright is the best version I’ve heard on CD. I’ve never owned the vinyl.

25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

You remember correctly, I can't compare as yet, but mine is an Ultradisc 2.