Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

It would be fantastic.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't think the Empty Sky SHM used the 1st Gen master tapes. Here is the blurb from the booklet:

192kHz/24bit flat transfer from UK analogue master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, London
    Mastering at Universal Mastering, Tokyo

Compare this with the one from Don't Shoot Me:

192kHz/24bit flat transfer from 1973 UK original analogue master tapes at Abbey Road Studios, London
    Mastering at Universal Mastering, Tokyo

Notice the difference?

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes. Perhaps the original tapes are gone. Is Empty Sky the only one labeled that way?

toilet_doctor and supermd like this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Sad to hear that ES doesn’t seem to be of the same quality soundwise as the others.. They should have scrapped it and done A Single Man instead.:)

Jarleboy and Oyster Boy like this.
  5. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

It is very different than the others. Get the DJM CD13 (mastered at Nimbus) that I picked up, and you'll have a great version to match the other 12 SHM's.

Oyster Boy, JamesRR and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. The 1992 Polydor supposedly uses the same mastering as the DJM.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  7. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

Just received 5 of these cd's to my place of work. Now on the parcel was a label custom fees to pay with must be paid when delivered. Well was delivered with a huge amount of other mail so was not noticed and not paid anything. Will i get away with this?
    was a £30 fee to pay.

8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I would say you have got away with it:)

Plan9 likes this.
  9. Oyster Boy

I have this one
    Elton John - Empty Sky
    TBH, I didn't see how this could be beaten by the SHM. Also I have Captain Fantastic as a toss up between the SHM and the DJM, those two originals are outstanding IMHO.

wayneklein likes this.
  10. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

Hope so was ordered from cdjapan had gift box ticked. I thought under £135 was vat free when a gift. I noticed you live in east yorkshire me too :)

Oyster Boy likes this.
  11. Oyster Boy

Yeah, I have lived around Selby most of my life:)

12. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Understandable but too bad these transfers weren't made available as downloads. Are Japanese releases as this ever become available as an HD download from an online retailer?

jhm likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

In a word: no.

PhantomStranger and jhm like this.
  14. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I listened to Empty Sky yesterday for the first time. It's a decent album. It really sounds like it belongs in 1966/67, though. That harpsichord really dates it, and I never would have guessed it came out in 1969. His voice also reminds me of John Denver on that album. He sounds totally different to his later, "Prime Elton" voice. A curio in his catalog, to be sure.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'll have to check on that. Based purely on the sound of these albums, yes, it's the only one. I can try and confirm that tonight.

Oyster Boy, Pizza and toilet_doctor like this.
  16. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Also, please check to see if it sounds one or two levels down, comparably to your other albums.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't understand what you're asking. Can you please re-phrase your question?

18. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Yes, please! :agree: But having said that... I have an SHM-CD of "A SINGLE MAN" that was released in 2010, and even though I have no information about which mastering was used, I think it sounds great! At least much better than the 95 masters. I don´t believe that the SHM makes any difference, so I do wonder whether there was some remastering going on. Anyway, it looks and sounds great.

Carlox, Oyster Boy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. toilet_doctor

How does Empty Sky sound comparably to other Elton albums? Would it go down on one level or two?

20. toilet_doctor

Will do.

Captain Fantastic (music-vise)

Captain Fantastic's a masterpiece, imho, easily one of the
    best albums I’ve ever heard by anybody - ever!
    It’s possibly the only Classic Elton album I never tire of hearing…

(fredblue)

The album debuted at #1 on the US Pop Albums chart, the first album ever to do so, and stayed there for seven weeks. Unlike Elton's previous albums, which were usually written and recorded rather quickly, "Captain Fantastic" was well-planned and labored over for several months. After receiving the lyrics from Taupin, Elton wrote the music alone on a cruise ship sailing from England to New York. Great attention and detail were given to the recording process over several weeks at Caribou Ranch. The cover art was designed by Alan Aldridge.” (comment)

I want to talk about 4 of my Elton’s favorite from this album.

Intelligent and tasteful Jazz Funk - British answer to Steely Dan, if you will:
    Tell Me When the Whistle Blows (w/lyrics)
    Track 4 from the 1975 album "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy," recorded in the summer of 1974 at Caribou Ranch in Colorado, USA. Gus Dudgeon, producer. It is an autobiographical album, the songs telling the story of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's struggling years as songwriters, leading to their success in 1970. This song deals particularly with Bernie Taupin's adjustment to city life in London, after coming from the country to live and work with Reg Dwight (Elton John). The strings were arranged by Gene Page, the Philadelphia arranger who worked with so many in the Gamble & Huff Philly Soul World, such as Barry White, Billy Paul and the Spinners. Page also arranged "Philadelphia Freedom." Elton played both electric piano and clavinet on this track, creating both a soulful mood and an effective mimic of a train on the tracks.” (comment)

These two strangely came together:
    We All Fall in Love Sometimes & Curtains
    The final two tracks from the 1975 album "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy," recorded in the summer of 1974 at Caribou Ranch in Colorado, USA. Gus Dudgeon, producer. It is an autobiographical album, the songs telling the story of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's struggling years as songwriters, leading to their success in 1970. These two songs form the finale to the story. The first describes the fateful writing of "Your Song," in 1969, and the second alludes to earlier Elton/Taupin songs: "Scarecrow," "Angel Tree," and "A Dandelion Dies in the Wind." The entire piece is full of joy and satisfaction at finally having arrived as successful artists, as well as great hope for the future to come. Musically it is hymn-like and Elton is credited with providing "Lum-de-Lums." Many times, in concert Elton has expressed that the song tells of the loving friendship he has shared with Taupin.” (comment)

Elton John - We All Fall in Love Sometimes/Curtains (1974) With Lyrics!

In 70’s, many of Elton’s songs (Rocket Man, Bennie and Jets, Crocodile Rock, even GBYBR) were overplayed on the air, they were an easy target and were ultimately killed. But not this one, no matter how hard they try to kill this song, it survived:

Someone Saved My Life Tonight (w/lyrics)
    “Final track from the first side of the 1975 album "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy," recorded in the summer of 1974 at Caribou Ranch in Colorado, USA. Gus Dudgeon, producer. It is an autobiographical album, the songs telling the story of Elton John and Bernie Taupin's struggling years as songwriters, leading to their success in 1970. This song was also released as a single, reaching the top ten. Taupin put into words the experience Elton had had in the late sixties of being "saved" from a marriage that would have destroyed his life as a musician. Reg had been engaged to Linda Woodrow, but was depressed about the marriage as the wedding approached. After one half-hearted attempt to end it all, Bernie Taupin had found him with his head in the kitchen oven, gassing himself. Bernie had to laugh, however, for Reg had left the window open and had gotten himself a little pillow. Finally, Bernie and singer Long John Baldry took Reg out all night and got him drunk enough to face Linda and call the engagement off. Included in the Captain Fantastic lyric booklet is a picture of Baldry with the inscription: "With thanks to L.J.B." Musically Elton attributed the chords and composing style to the influence of Beach Boy Brian Wilson.” (comment)

Elton John - Someone Saved My Life Tonight (1974) With Lyrics!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    LoveandTheft and Oyster Boy like this.
  21. toilet_doctor

Captain Fantastic (sound-vise)

“Great attention to details were given to the recording
    process over several weeks at Caribou Ranch.
    (comment)

It’s beautifully recorded and produced.”
    (Merrick)

I have got the Captain Fantastic and it sounds (and looks) fantastic. On the other hand, I think this album always have sounded great. But I think the attention to details and the soundscape of this SHM is astounding. Also find the reproduction of the cover-art to be a stunner
    Bemagnus, Aug 23, 2019 #920

Although, I like having the 2018 LP for the artwork and booklets as my eyes aren't what they used to be! But both formats sound amazing on my system.”
    lee59, Aug 23, 2019 #921

My new favorite of the SHM’s, at least for today: Captain Fantastic. While Blue Moves blows them all away for sonics, I’m really quite moved by CF. I’m really discovering these album tracks of EJ for the first time, and to have such an epic song like Someone Saved My Life Tonight on here, sounding so fresh and alive is just a revelation. I’ve heard this song on the radio forever, but now I think it’s risen to my top ten or twenty best songs of the rock era.
    Jelloza, Sep 13, 2019 #2496

Captain Fantastic is kinder on the ears than the stereo SACD (PCM or DSD).
    ivor, Aug 21, 2019 #807

I’m sick of doing side by side comparisons, and it’s driving my wife insane, so tonight I’m listening to some of the new ones strictly for pleasure. I’ve never been the hugest fan of Captain Fantastic (sorry), but listening to the new remaster is a real treat! Is this possibly the most well-produced album of his “classic years”? Sounds like it; just incredible.”
    lonelysea, Sep 4, 2019 #2105

Review
    Now for Captain Fantastic, which I compared to the CD versions: Polydor/W.German DJM, MCA, SACD 2.0, HD Tracks 24/96 download, and 95 Remaster. First, let me just say that all versions of this album that I own, sound pretty darn good (except for the HD download). The SHM disc bests the Polydor/DJM disc due to its better overall bass levels and, again slight midrange boost that helps the vocals. The 95 remaster, which I find to be just ok, is out of its league here (and I suspect will be with all comparisons in this new series). The HD Tracks 24/96 download is loud and very compressed. I'm not sure of where this mastering comes from, but its the worst version I've heard of this classic. The SACD is a slight improvement over the HD tracks and brings some nice clarity. Its just too compressed to compete with the new SHM. Things get a bit tougher when comparing to the US MCA disc. This one has been my go to for several years. overall bass levels are about the same for these two discs, but I find the MCA's bass to be tighter and packing a little more punch. The MCA has slightly more dynamic range than the new SHM as well and pristine highs. The SHM is a great disc and shines on a few specific tracks over the MCA (Better Off dead, Tower of Babel) when it comes to vocal presentation. Overall, I find the SHM "warmer" than the MCA with more of a vinyl like presentation. In fact, I find it to be sort of a cross between the MCA CD and Ludwig vinyl. Overall, this one is very tough. I suspect I'll be listening to both for quite some time. No clear winner here, but the new SHM ties for first place with the MCA IMHO. I would go with the Ludwig vinyl needle drop just below these two.
    Brudr, Sep 5, 2019 #2116

So last night i did some Don't Shoot Me and Captain Fantastic comparisons to the original MCA's and Polydors. Also, the DCC. My results in a nutshell are that the Original Captain Fantastic MCA disc holds up very very well. Didn't realize how great this sounded. The new one is very very similar, maybe edging it out with a slight bit more detail and lower end.

I then spent some time listening to all the titles I have last night as well. This reissue campaign is worth getting excited about so far:

Captain Fantastic - slightly fuller than original MCA which still sounds good
    .”
    Lovealego, Sep 3, 2019 #1991

Captain Fantastic - My go-to CD version has been the original Japan for US MCA original and I have to be honest and say that once again, that MCA pressing that I've stood by for years is really not bettered all that much by the new SHM-CD, but I do give it a slight upper hand once again because there is just that little extra oomph in Nigel's drums on the tracks that have that great out of the blue drumming. Best track to show off both versions to me is "Curtains".
    As always, this is just another opinion, mine here, but you may find a different version that your own hearing is pleased by better
    .”
    Chris C, Sep 14, 2019 #2542

I personally love thse SHM-CDs. I was hoping we'd get SHM-SACDs, but I just don't think that will happen. Yesterday, I was marvelling at the drum sound on Captain Fantastic and then followed it up with Caribou and I was happy to find it sounded very similar. Caribou to me has always been a less than enjoyable album to listen to because the bass was deficient, which made the treble stick out more. I have tried three old DJM pressings and each one of them was seriously lacking in bass. Bob Ludwig did a good job with his recent remasters for vinyl and download but their dynamics are somewhat compromised. The old DJM I had at one point wasn't bad except for those damned old AD converters that ruin cymbals and transients for my tastes. … As always YMMV” [Your Mileage May Vary].
    Stefan, Thursday at 12:54 PM #2693

I've purchased all the titles at this point waiting for them to be delivered the only one I have recieved is CAPTAIN FANTASTIC .This being my personal favorite I have just about every version of this album and in my humble option is the best ever it is very clear and you can hear ever instrument with little or no noise. I am hoping that the rest of the series is just as mind blowing, I thank you guys for all the reviews I have read.
    sidney2009, Sep 1, 2019 #1779

I agree with Bemagnus, it's probably more a matter of different tastes in listening. We all have our preferences. Heck, I find I cannot stand the sound of almost any CD done before 1990. I know they're super popular here (to the point it almost seems like a fetish for some!), but the sound of those old converters bugs me every time, even if the dynamics are often better.”

The Dynamic Range of the MCA is one-point greater, but it is not so important when we say an average of 14 vs. 15 – both numbers are great. The advantage of the new 192kH/24-bit transfer vs. old AD conversion is much more important – it brings airiness, more separation between the instruments and a deep soundstage, not to mention the more natural sound of the instruments. It is equel to analog sound. And SHM on top it all.

Captain Fantastic – Best (the best digital version, slightly superior to MCA and DJM thanks to the benefits of the new 192Hz/24-bit transfer)

22. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

First 5 cds delivered and just listened to Blue Moves holy crap not only the best sound heard from that album but the best sound quality sounding cd i have in my collection. listening on an oppo 93 to an Arcam A49 amp. So looking forward to the rest but only one per night so i can savor them.

23. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I believe Single Man was part of the '98 remasters, which included albums up to The One (but not all of them). I'm curious about how those were remastered, because The One was a fairly new album still in '98. I have to check the liner notes.

Oyster Boy and Jarleboy like this.
  24. Oyster Boy

Glad you like it. Thats two copies in East Yorkshire:)

25. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

I've heard them all; I've heard the competing masterings; and here are my preferences.

10 (out of 13) are the 2019 SHM CDs. Pretty good odds, I must say:

Blue Moves [SHM-CD]
    Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy [SHM-CD]
    Caribou [SHM-CD]
    Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player [SHM-CD]
    Elton John - Elton John [SHM-CD] (not the SHM SACD)
    Empty Sky [DJM CD13 (mastered at Nimbus)]
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road [SHM-CD]
    Greatest Hits [SHM-CD]
    Greatest Hits Volume 2 [SHM-CD]
    Honky Château [SHM-CD]
    Madman Across The Water [DCC 180g LP] vinyl-rip
    Rock Of The Westies [SHM-CD]
    Tumbleweed Connection [MFSL CD] (the decay of the notes here are stunning)