Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

you're very welcome! :edthumbs:
    tbh i was surprised during my little DLTS shootout, i used to enjoy The V.Best Of comp back in the day but racking that track up against a half dozen other CD versions it was loud and a bit cludgy!

Carlox, c-eling and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

Do you have a CD/digital recommendation for best sounding versions of "Philadelphia Freedom" and "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"?

Carlox likes this.
  3. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I've just done a shoot out with "Between 17 and 20" and "Idol" comparing original Rocket vinyl, original CD, Gus remaster and JPN SHM CD.

The new JPN wins hands down.

"Don't Shoot Me..." however.

"Elderberry Wine" on the new JPN CD is an ear bleeder (to these ears) and puts me off the rest of the CD.

For me, the West German CD or the original vinyl of DSMIOTPP is the way forward.

Hearing your "Caribou" comments I'll be interested to hear it when it arrives, as I only bought it as it has the channels the correct way round!

Oyster Boy and fredblue like this.
  4. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i used to enjoy the sound of a number of the 70's tracks on the To Be Continued set (and i think Philadelphia Freedom was the longer outro version!?) but i won't rely on my memory to give you a recommendation so i'll rake through the discs over the weekend and see what i come up with :righton:

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure why it would be mastered that way, but note "Mastered By Nimbus" just refers to the glass mastering of the CD, not the audio mastering.

Carlox, sonnyrock, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  6. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I’m not a fan of this album but all this back and forth on it has really piqued my curiosity. Since I was ordering a few Hilary Hahn SHMs I didn’t know about, I also tossed in Caribou into my order. I will say I haven’t been disappointed in any of the Elton’s so far that I picked up. I’ll have to hear it for myself. :)

jhm, Oyster Boy and c-eling like this.
  7. srsch

srsch Senior Member

Here's my 2 cents on the SHM Don't Shoot me: As far as best digital version goes...this one is better than the others I have (German DJM, MCA Japan for USA, Japanese Mercury). However it does have a few aspects that bother me. Elderberry Wine sounds awful. The EQ is so strange. The low end is sucked out of it and the upper mids and highs sound boosted far too high. I can't currently be specific about other songs, but there are others that seemed lacking in low end. A casual comparison to the Robert Ludwig vinyl remaster made me easily pick that as the best easily obtainable copy. I like the EQ on it much more than the SHM. If you have both, check out them out back to back. Let's hear your opinions!
    I'll get back with some thoughts on the other SHMs I have bought so far (Cpt. Fantastic, GBYBR, & Caribou).

8. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Boogie Pilgrim, just listened to the SHM Madman, the best I have heard on CD ever.

9. Oyster Boy

Also played the SHM Blue Moves D1 again with my system warmed up more than last time and can only say that it is fabulous and sounded even better. Easily the best version.
    During Madman, my wife said "it doesn't get any better than this" so a resounding approval in our house. Can't believe after forty plus years of listening to these albums, there were details in them I have not heard before.

supermd, ispace, jhm and 2 others like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Looks like ImportCDs has most of these titles in stock now and I read on a dedicated thread for them they they have a 15% off code valid through Wednesday: TRICKRTREAT15

If you've been holding out, this might be a good chance to jump in. The code would cover shipping plus a tiny bit more, which means the titles are $24 U.S. each or less. A good deal if you ask me!

toilet_doctor and Edmoney like this.
  11. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Says it's an invalid promo code. :shake:

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

13. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I know that's the advertised coupon code for DeepDiscount.com. Despite being under the same company ownership, ImportCDs might not share that same code.

14. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Interesting as Deep Discount's price is $4.45 higher per CD then ImportCDs. 15% isn't that great a price reduction then.

15. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

And they are the same company IIRC. Super D.

16. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Anybody give a detailed review of the SHM Westies yet? If so I missed it.

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

toilet_doctor likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Here are some brief thoughts from me.

Mooserfan likes this.
  19. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

I agree with Oyster Boy, the AF Gold and new SHM are both great and I would certainly be happy with either.....perhaps a slight edge in clarity to the new SHM.

TealShark, Mooserfan and Oyster Boy like this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

This just in...

I've been doing comparisons between the original Polydor CD of Caribou (not that I've been hooked up with a copy) to the new SHM-CD. The channels on "Stinker" are switched between the two sources! I wonder which one is "correct"?

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I know the whole DJM Caribou CD has the channels reversed...

As far as I know, the 1995 Gus remaster and the new SHM are the correct versions.

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks Bobby. Big "duh" for me, as I know I've read that in this thread :oops:!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I gave a listen to Caribou earlier today. Not one of my favorites by Elton but I still enjoyed it. Sounded great to me. It made for a nice afternoon listen.

24. Like many albums … Caribou will reveal lots of fantastic moments ( and get it's hooks into you ) the more you listen to it. It's a fantastic album! ~ It just happened to be placed between two BEHEMOTHS. : GYBR and Captain Fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  25. Oyster Boy

And also, within the album itself, the last two tracks, DLTSGDOM and Ticking are BEHEMOTHS that are two of the best things Elton's done and over shadow the rest.