Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. ispace

ispace Senior Member

Agree 100%. Downloads are beige, a perfect description! Long live physical media!

toilet_doctor, Carlox and Oyster Boy like this.
  2. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I can highly recommend Blue Moves SHM as well. By far the best digital version in my opinion.

Carlox and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Extra mile? Logging into eBay or importCDS?! Let's not pretend that anyone is booking a round trip to Japan or anything. And how would downloads diminish the pride of owning physical disc!?

4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

As much as like physical media, I don't have all the room in the world for cds. A download probably would've been more cheaper as well.

5. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Thanks. Yes I bought the 2016 SHM of that one, sold it and bought the newer SHM reissue because I wanted the LP replica artwork.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  6. MikeManaic61

For those that have Madman on SHM how does that sound? I have the 95 remaster and that can be loud in some places, especially All the Nasties.

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I get what you mean - and I do love the SHM-CD packaging style don't get me wrong,

However just because you and me are happy with the physical item, I don't think that means it should be only physical only! Maybe it is because I am a younger person here, however in my own music appreciation while I certainly appreciate and can enjoy the aesthetic of physical media, I can honestly say all in all I appreciate the actual music the same via a one-click download as I do getting it shipped from Japan as a CD. I don't find myself ever incorporating "the struggle" of getting an item to the enjoyment of it

Like, with a mastering of GYBR as wonderfully warm and detailed as this one, I cannot possibly imagine ever listening to it be it CD, download, etc. and ever having "beige" coming to mind!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  8. DesertHermit

Well to my ears it’s far better balanced in terms of being able to hear finer detail and with less shrillness. I love this new reissue. Madman is (depending on what day you ask me) my favourite Elton album and this new reissue to my ears is far superior to the 1995 one.

jhm, jh901, Carlox and 3 others like this.
  9. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I have all the 95 remasters and I prefer these mini-lp versions to those on all of them. Still beaming on these SHM cds. fantastic collection.

supermd, DesertHermit, Carlox and 3 others like this.
  10. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Anyone heard what sounds like a touch of distortion on the loud parts of Levon? Like it's peaking out? I can't recall if this is on the vinyl, too.

11. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I've spun a few of these reissues. Audiophile quality mastering work. Super nice mini LP packaging.

The master tapes are in the UK, right? Do we know who was involved? Maybe someone at Metropolis in London?

Oyster Boy likes this.
  12. MikeManaic61

Well, I'm gonna take you guys word for it and order Madman (my favorite Winter album by the way and since I listen to it the most).

I think my next (and last one) will be GBYBR.

DesertHermit likes this.
  13. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

The SHM Madman is excellent, but the original DJM/Polydor, and MCA are also very good and improvements over the 95 Remaster. I find the SHM of GBYBR to be the best digital version I have heard and I've compared it to the MFSL, 2010 SACD, Polydor, MCA, and 2003 SACD.

supermd, PhantomStranger, jhm and 5 others like this.
  14. DesertHermit

I haven’t noticed it on, certainly not on the recent SHM remaster, however I am yet to listen to it through headphones. I did however listen to the album at a loud volume and think I’d have noticed it. I will listen out for it next time.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  15. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Somewhat off topic, but I'm interested in unique mastering work released in the SHM-CD format. So, the same circumstance as these 2019 Elton John releases where there is no Sacd, "platinum" Shm, or any other physical disc with the same mastering.

Maybe there's a nice summary post somewhere?

Appreciate any help. Thank you!

ispace likes this.
  16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

This thread has some excellent info and @toilet_doctor is very helpful.

Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more

George P and jh901 like this.
  17. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Go a couple pages back to post #3198, page 128 for the review.

Carlox and MikeManaic61 like this.
  18. FWIW, the original SHM-CD outersleeves on the copies I received had the glue-strip on the body.

ispace likes this.
  19. I would have especially liked to have downloads of these at the 24/192 transfer rate!

ispace likes this.
  20. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah, that's a bit insane to me. Why pay more and make more of an effort? I would like these just as much if they were cheaper and easily available on Amazon.

lukpac likes this.
  21. Has there been anyone who did it after this? With all due respect to Reg, I find the final track ludicrous. I get the feeling that they realized, and the end of the session, that they didn't have enough material for a full LP. "Well, let's see...there are those two unfinished songs. Maybe if we make them a medley...no, still not long enough? Well, what about if we then just crossfade bits from all of the songs together in order -- that should give us enough running time, and people will think we're being 'clever'." (If I had been them, I would have done them in reverse order instead. Isn't this where we came in?)

22. Because, of course, in a few years, when the discs are OOP and selling used for $500 each if you can even find them, we can all smugly assure newcomers that "we got the good versions in 2019; too bad for you they aren't available like that now." :D

23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I don't like smugness, especially when it comes to music lovers being out of luck with a superior mastering that should have been made easily available in a well-mastered fashion in the first place, and at a decent price... and YEARS AGO.

24. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The truth about "us" is that whatever insecurities we have, well, they just seem to all too frequently end up spilled all over the forum. We should all want as many of us as possible to have the ideal mastering for as much music as possible in whichever preferred format. This also extends to our playback systems. An "Audio Note guy" upgrades from one uber high priced component to an even more pricey piece. We should be happy. And give benefit of the doubt that sound quality does indeed improve by leaps and bounds even as prices grow beyond the reach of nearly all of us.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  25. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member