Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Would a kind soul please provide a link for purchase? Thanking you......

EDIT - found at importCDS.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

Do they have them in stock? When I last checked importcds they were on backorder.

BeatleStair likes this.
  3. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

I saw'em all listed but never got that far. Hoping to try later today.

4. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

George P likes this.
  5. George P

George P Notable Member

BeatleStair likes this.
  6. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Nice article, as usual. I would say get the rest, apart from GHV1 which is superfluous and Empty Sky, unless you want to hear a raucous version which the SHM ES is to my ears, but I actually prefer it. Knowing from your site, that you are a hopeless completist like me, you will probably get them all in the end:)

BeatleStair likes this.
  7. BeatleStair

Yes, I'm sure I will Lol. BUT at least they are truly worth it. So good!!!

supermd and Oyster Boy like this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Hi,

I have been trying to work out which of the Elton SHM CDs I want to order and compiled info you posted more recently about Madman and Honky with a list you posted earlier. This is all in the post I quoted above. Does this look up to date/correct? Not trying to do your work for you, but I figured this info would be helpful to others here.

Thanks again for all your work in this thread.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

Well, I just ordered 8 of the SHM CDs and they arrive Fri and Sat, so I hope to do some comparisons over the weekend. :goodie:

I am happy with my DJM Empty Sky and the ratings here aren't that high, so I skipped that one, but bought the next six, chronologically. Skipped GH because I have the DCC, got Captain Fantastic and Blue Moves. Not a Caribou fan and I have the AF Westies.

supermd, PhantomStranger, jhm and 5 others like this.
  10. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

UK - SACD - Page 3
    People very well compare the same title with different mastering, but not so, comparing different albums with each other. All the comments here are about the best digital version, but how is the album in the SQ common scale (Best, Very Good, Good and Average)?
    Honky seems to sound between Tumbleweed (Very Good) and Madman (Good). So, I placed Honky on the border of the sections "Very Good" and "Good."
    Can anyone comment on this?
    The latest version of the rating list will be:

- update -

Ranking List (subject to change)

Empty Sky – Good/Average (second after Polydor/DJM CD, which has smoother sound and better dynamics)
    Elton John S/T – Best (second best after SHM-SACD)
    Tumbleweed Connection – Very Good (second best after MFSL)

Madman Across the Water – Good (Second after Polydor/MCA, tie with SACD, but better than MFSL)

Honky Chateau – Very Good/Good (Second after Polydor/DJM and tie with MFSL)

Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player – Best (the best digital version)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road – Best (the best digital version)
    Greatest Hits – Good (second best after DCC)
    Captain Fantastic – Best (the best digital version, slightly superior to MCA and DJM due to advantages of the new 192Hz/24-bit transfer)
    Caribou – Good (the matter of preference: roll-off trebles of SHM vs. heavy brightness of DJM CD)
    Blue Moves – Best (the best digital version)
    Greatest Hits 2 – Good (the best digital version)

This list is very important for making a purchasing decision.
    Please guys, look at this critically. If Tumbleweed is in the "Very Good" section, which albums are better in SQ or something similar to Tumbleweed?

Flaming Torch and Oyster Boy like this.
  11. toilet_doctor

George, please try to make your version of this list of 8 album, keeping SQ category in mind and heaving Tumbleweed as standing in the "Very Good" category.
    It will be very helpful.

12. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Let’s not forget Rock the Westies....the SHM is outstanding and I rated it a toss up between it and the AF Gold disc.

13. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

I had that reaction to a few, Honky being the most notable (I prefered the MFSL version). Across the board (excepting Empty Sky), I thought the higher end was tamed down a bit as compared to previous digital versions. To me, that was helpful on albums like Caribou and DSMIOTPP where some version bordered on "harsh". On the other hand, some that sounded a bit dull to me on first listen sounded much better and more "accurate" after cranking them up and then comparing to previous versions at the same volume (Madman, Tumbleweed, Captain Fantastic). Some of these masterings sound very similar to the recent Ludwig vinyl remasters (others not so much). I would really love to know more about who mastered these and their sources.....

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  14. George P

George P Notable Member

Today I sampled tracks from 4 of these (Honky, Don't Shoot, Tumbleweed and Yellow Brick) and I have to say, I wasn't impressed at first. The overall sound is colder than I expected and had a somewhat dull quality to it. The best way I can explain it is the music on them comes across to me as being analytical, lacking emotion. It's the equivalent of watching a movie in black and white that you've always seen in color.

Then I compared them to my current favorites (MFSL CD for all except Don't Shoot (Japan for USA MCA)) and was surprised to see that in each case, there was an obvious amount of EQ that did not appear on the SHM. This means, on my stereo, the SHMs are much more crankable. In fact, they don't sound that great until played at least moderately loud. The SHM has a very different sound, so I feel it will take some time to get used to it.

I plan to listen to all 8 SHMs that bought over the weekend.

supermd, Oyster Boy, Carlox and 2 others like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

Except for the vinyl comment, I agree with all of that! :agree: (I don't do vinyl)

Do we even know if they were actually mastered or if these are supposed to be flat transfers?

Also, do you know the tracklisting for the 2019 SHM Empty Sky? I can't find it anywhere.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Can you clarify what you mean by the bolded part above, please?

17. toilet_doctor

In 2008, Universal, Japan started releasing Mini LP CD (limited ed.) with a unique Japanese traditional remastering (many were numbered editions with a number on the insert with a facsimile print of the LP’s center label sticker).
    In 2010, they launched the new single layer SHM-SACD local project with a flat transfer from the Japanese dub tape in cardboard sleeve (in the size of a mini LP). Major advantage was the greater dynamics.
    The Project gained popularity and went global with a flat transfer from the Original UK and US master tape. Sound turned out better, however, it maybe not only the tape, but also better equipment and people’s skills.
    In 2013, EMI teamed up, and together they switched to the Mini LP presentation of three types: SHM-SACD, Platinum SHM and reg. SHM-CD. It was a good sound when the recordings and tape condition were good.
    In 2016, the project went to an end and they continued to work on the Mini LP SHM-CD.
    Over the past few years, they have been using flat transfer from OMT in the UK and US and further mastering in Japan. This is where we are now.

In the case of the Elton John release, they are faced the tape problems and, fortunately, were wise enough to cancel the release and to work more on better sound sources.
    I think (and this is only my guess) that they purposely used a low level to easier deal with some sound issues like too bright recordings and such.

They did a great job in the circumstances, there is no doubt about that (not to mention the amazing covers).

18. toilet_doctor

…and heaving Tumbleweed as standing in the "Very Good" category.

It means:
    The sound of Tumbleweed album belongs to the category “Very Good”. If you compare any other Elton album to Tumbleweed, you can assume that better sounding than Tumbleweed albums can go one or two grades higher to the category “Best” or bordering it with verdict – Best/Very Good.
    Or worse sounding albums can go to categories: Very Good/Good, Good, Good/Average and Average.

Oyster Boy and George P like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, thanks.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

I started listening to these SHM CDs chronologically tonight and will post my thoughts on each one later, but I feel compelled to share a few things I am noticing.

As I am listening to these I find that (at least on my stereo) to sound their best, they really need to be played loud, louder than I play my other Elton CDs. Not bother the neighbors loud, but louder than I usually listen to Elton. At lower levels they do not impress, but turn them up and they really bloom nicely. And the EQ used allows me to turn it up as loud as I want, unlike most of my other Elton CDs (early masterings/MFSLs) that either get two bright/harsh when I turn them up or too bright/harsh and too bassy/boomy when I turn them up.

It's very interesting, for these SHMs don't wow me like an MFSL or a DCC might. Instead they seem to get out of the way and let me enjoy the music. If I put on the MFSL Tumbleweed, I usually at least half listen to the plush sound of it and maybe half listen to the music. But when I listen to the SHM Elton CDs, I find myself, without trying to, looking past the sound quality and listening to the music, the arrangements, the singing. Not because the sound is perfect, but because it somehow doesn't call attention to itself.

supermd, Oyster Boy, Carlox and 4 others like this.
  21. BeatleStair

Yes, that's what I found too. I had to turn these up a bit to get them to bloom and when I did they truly impressed me. No other Elton John CDs are that way and I like the sound these have, the mastering let's you get into the music without the harshness I've experienced on many other Elton CDs.

Now some of early, first issue Elton CDs sound closer to these new SHM-CDs but with less clarity and a bit less definition and bass.

The first time I played one at lower volume these sounded average but as I turned them up they just came alive without becoming harsh or boomy.

Love them overall, at least the ones I own so far.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Very cool!

It's funny, two nights ago I went crazy and bought 9 of these things, after reading so much good stuff in this thread. Then they arrive today, in perfect condition. I was very impressed with the gorgeous packaging. Then I played tracks from bunch of them and was surprised that it wasn't love at first hearing. Watched some TV and tried again, this time turning up the volume and everything clicked! I guess years with those old MCA CDs had me trained to be very cautious with the volume knob. :laugh:

supermd, Oyster Boy, Carlox and 3 others like this.
  23. You’ll enjoy them although, for the record, I prefer the Mofi for Goodbye. Still glad I,got it for the original artwork and I love that Honkey Chateau finally has its gatefold with the tab.

Oyster Boy, DesertHermit and George P like this.
  24. They were always meant to be played loud so they are in their naturAl environment.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Do you think that is because they were mixed loud?

ispace likes this.