Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

In my opinion, Madman and Caribou are stellar, Captain Fantastic is good (but the original MCA CD is equally good if not better), Don't Shoot Me not so much (the WG DJM CD is better).

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

The first studio album has the worst mastering, and the last one has the best mastering... compared to the original CDs. Unfortunately both are also average albums IMO.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The original LP/CD are on the brighter side (for lack of a better term) and the SHM-CD from 2018 has attempted to tame that brightness somewhat. Some knowledgeable folks feel it's too rolled off/dull/lifeless now. I didn't have a copy of Caribou previously and I like the way the SHM-CD sounds. Here's what I originally had to say about it:

Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

The SHM of Captain Fantastic is amazing, been giving it a careful listen lately and the title track especially really stands out clarity wise (and IMO the title track is one of Elton's all time finest moments)

Caribou, I was listening to and it is finally great to have a version of "The Bitch Is Back" that isn't like taking a razor blade to your eardrums lol a lot tamer and crankable

supermd, Carlox, sound chaser and 4 others like this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

What he said.

Oyster Boy and HotelYorba101 like this.
  6. teag

teag Forum Resident

Which specific Madman releases are you comparing the SHM to?
    And on what system?

7. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I have no opinion on the two Greatest Hits volumes or Empty Sky, but I prefer the 2018 SHMs for everything except the s/t, which I give the nod to the SHM-SACD.
    I have all the corresponding MFSLs, AFs, Islands SACDs, and even a DJM of Don’t Shoot Me.... I prefer the recent remasters.

8. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

OK, I read your previous post about the Caribou CD and I decided to get it...I ordered it last night! I generally don't like CDs that are too bright, so this one apparently is on the warmer side...I just hope "The Bitch Is Back" is not too flat, but I guess adding more treble to that song might help if necessary? I currently don't have a good sounding CD version of the original "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me", so I'm hoping it sounds very good on this 2019 Caribou Japan CD.

Carlox and jhm like this.
  9. Futurecity

I think I know what you mean about "The Bitch Is Back", but does it need more high end (treble) on the 2019 SHM CD or does it sound good as is?

10. Futurecity

By the way, has anyone bought the 2019 GBYBR Japan SHM CD and compared it to the 2014 remaster? I always thought the 2014 remaster sounded razor sharp and very bright...I wonder if the 2019 Japan remaster warmed it up and is less bright?

11. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Chalk and cheese difference. The SHM is quiet and not loud or in your face, more like an MFSL or original DJM whereas the 2014 is LOUD. The 2014 is about ok for car listening :)
    Check this out.
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database
    2019 SHM
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah the SHM gave the MFSL a real run for its money but in the end I preferred the MFSL.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  13. Oyster Boy

From my perspective the Bitch is Back has always sounded dreadful, the only exception for me was GHV2 on vinyl (back in the seventies) and now the SHM. The Caribou SHM is the best ever closely followed by the SHM of GHV2 IMHO.

Futurecity and jhm like this.
  14. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

Is the SHM of GBYBR too muffled? I also have the 2014 remaster which is loud and too bright but sometimes I find with these Japan remasters which say flat transfer that the sound is very dull or muffled.

15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The Elton John SHM-CDs from 2018 are not flat transfers (there's no claim that they are in the liner notes).

Oyster Boy, ispace, supermd and 3 others like this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

No it isn't too muffled. I found the imaging to be inferior to the MFSL.

I didn't say this earlier but when I compared the SHMs to the MFSLs it gave me a newfound appreciation for the work that they do at Mobile Fidelity. Madman is the one MFSL exception. I like the SHM a lot more.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The SHM has an uncomfortably rolled off high end to my ears. The recording arguably does have some things that need taming, but those weren't addressed by the SHM.

sonnyrock likes this.
  18. Oyster Boy

Out of interest, which version do you think is best, for TBIB on CD?
    Just thought, the version on the MCA TBC is not too shabby.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  19. I have the same titles in my library and agree with you wholeheartedly. :righton:

lonelysea and Oyster Boy like this.
  20. I’m wondering if the 2014 remaster was used for the GBYBR Blu-ray audio?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not familiar with a ton of different versions, but I did my own remaster from the DJM which I felt was better than the SHM.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. HotelYorba101

To my ears it sounds good as is, however it definitely IMO is a lot more rolled off than any previous mastering of it I have which I can see maybe being a bit jarring at first if the sonic characteristics of any previous high-end laden masterings are burned in your mind

I feel like the mastering did as much as it could to make the song sonically more warm and crankable and is the best version to my ears! Although I definitely think that that sound and Caribou as a whole isn't the best mixed album in Elton's canon so some imperfections still remain

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wasn't that familiar with the album in any form prior to hearing the SHM CD; it still didn't sound good to me.

It's definitely possible to make it more "warm" sounding without the high end roll-off of the SHM.

24. HotelYorba101

I just personally take to the decisions that were made for the SHM and think that it hits all the sonic qualities I am looking for when it comes down to the material on that album - high end roll-off included. At least to my own ears and cans of course, I am quite happy with the results and think that I can't imagine anything beyond a full Steven Wilson-quality remix making me any happier to rock out to it

ispace, jhm and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

I have the first seven on the old Japanese mini lp version with the 1995 remasters. But they are too loud and flat to my ears. I bought the pre-remaster version of some Of them during the years except Empty sky and T Connection. Thinking about getting those two in the new SHM version. Are both recommended compare to the old remasters? And What should I do with my current mini lp CDs version, they are so pretty...

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=Elton+John&album=Connection