Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. George P

George P Notable Member

I think it might help you to know that all of the 2019 SHM Elton were mastered in a similar manner. I know you've bought one (or more?) of them, so I think you can expect Goodbye Yellow Brick Road to have a similar sound to what you already have.

ispace, Oyster Boy and Futurecity like this.
  2. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Thanks, I was just double checking about GBYBR because I don't want to buy another CD version that sounds like the 2014 CD, but it's good to know that all of these 2019 SHM CDs are much warmer and quite different.

Oyster Boy and George P like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member

No problem.

I will add that the MFSL Gold can be found cheap and I think it betters the SHM. when I compared the SHM to the MFSL, I didn't even listen to all of the former because I had a clear preference for the latter. Sorry, I can give you details, as I didn't take detailed notes and my girlfriend is working from home and I can't play my stereo. :cry:

(I think all of the MFSL CDs are better than the SHMs, with the exception of Madman)

HiFi Guy 008 likes this.
  4. The 2019 SHMs are crankable (in my experience - FWIW). - They "blossom" nicely as you increase the volume. - And I have a really meager system.

The level of volume is dependent on YOU (and the limits of your surroundings, of course).

These SHMs are fantastic, across the board (IMHO). I have them all. The packaging is top notch. They are among the best investments I ever bought into. I will not part with them. Just my little opinion.

CBackley, ispace, DVDRowe and 4 others like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Take it from me, the 2019 is far better than the 2014. Buy this one with confidence. :righton:

ispace, Futurecity, Pizza and 2 others like this.
  6. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Indeed! I think the only one I have issue with is Madman on some tracks. The bass sounds kinda bloated at times.

Oyster Boy and DarkSideOfTheMoo like this.
  7. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

agreed - my ‘rock of the westies’ does indeed bloom with volume. problem is, one doesn’t always want to listen at volume.

out of sheer curiosity, do you have any other shm remaster catalogs? i only ask as it’s by comparison to other catalogs that my first listen was, well, not a let down, but certainly didn’t have me jumping for joy.

8. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

As previously stated, this is true for most but not for Don't Shoot Me I'm The Piano Player, the SHM CD is much brighter than the WG DJM CD.

9. AFCBRINGWOOD

AFCBRINGWOOD Forum Resident

Mmm, that's funny because 4 pages back you preferred the SHMs to the MFSLs (with the exception of GYBR). Why the sudden change of opinion?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  10. At present, the only catalog that feature SHM remastering I would champion (other than the Eltons) would be the Alice Cooper issues. I've read some people consider them "harsh", but for me the string of albums (from Pretties For You to From The Inside) offer nice upgrades compared to the stock issues (of which there are many). Also, the Steppenwolf SHMs are fantastic. Again … just my little opinion. Different set-ups, different ears, etc. This could also be applied to the Elton SHMs, as well.

There must be some other good examples, but at present, nothing shakes my memory.

11. ether-bored

ether-bored click OK to continue

oh yes. being a jazz collector, there are dozens. and that's before we even approach the WEA catalog...

DarkSideOfTheMoo likes this.
  12. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, I was thinking of the source. Of course we don't know what 'mastering' means in the eye of this release. Untouched, or modified. Who knows? And perhaps flat transfers wouldn't sound as good on CD. When original producer Gus Dudgeon did his remastering in the 90s, he made a comment that, to him, the tapes 'softened up' over time. Whatever that meant. But he felt they lost some punch. Unfortunately, the solution hasn't been the most popular.

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Does anyone know what mastering was used on the SHM CD of the Love Songs album - the one from '95/96:
    Love Songs [SHM-CD] Elton John CD Album

Curious if this was remastered for the SHM release. This was a pretty good mix of songs.

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I have only listened to Captain Fantastic and Greatest Hits Vol II so far, but I am blown away by the sound of these discs. The first thing I noticed is you have to turn the volume up, but that is fine as there is no distortion at all, playing them louder really brings out the sound. I'm a headphone guy, I've listened to these albums with my Sennheiser HD 700s, and 599s. Both really bring out the warmth of the sound on these discs.

Take the opening title track from Captain Fantastic, everything blends well, creates a rich, warm sound. Yet when I listen closely, I can hear the acoustic guitar being strummed, sometimes plucked. I can hear the electric guitar cutting though like a knife. The bass isn't overpowering, just right. The drums are forceful but not in the way. But when I take them all in, it is just a rich, warm sound. That is the best I can come up with. Elton's piano is prominent but also doesn't stick out, and the vocals sound superb.

I picked most of the set up from CD Japan, only 2 I didn't get were Empty Sky and Greatest Hits Vol 1. Really love what I'm hearing so far, it is going to be a blast going through Elton's discography again. I really haven't gave these albums a good listen in a few years, all I had were the 95? Rocket remasters, which are okay but these SHM-CDs blow out of the water.

Sorry for the novel, but so far these CDs have lived up to the hype! Wish I had ordered the set when it came out last year, I think the CDs came in a nice box designed after Yellow Brick Road. I'm sure I could find one now, but would have to pay over $100.

ispace, Dignan2000, JamesRR and 8 others like this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Great post! I totally agree with you in regards to the CDs living up to the hype. Specifically with your statement on the title track to Captain Fantastic because that is one of my favorite Elton songs ever so I have compared that to the previous CDs I have. The balance is just right and like you said, the electric guitar when it enters sounds just so awesome. The previous mastering I had made that moment sound shrill and harsh when cranked up, and this one is more laid back sonically but also more rocking because of the fact you can now crank it without your ears being shredded lol

16. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Agree, great post.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Over the past couple days, I've been playing some of these albums, and they all sound absolutely stellar. What an amazing release. I'm very glad I got all of them. :) This is a one-and-done situation for me.

Mike McMann, eelkiller, jhm and 6 others like this.
  18. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks, I love the song, and album too. It really was amazing when the electric guitar came in, just amazing. I'm at a loss for words really. As you said other versions, I know my old CD sounded shrill and distorted. I'm just amazed at all the little detail you can hear in the music if you listen close, or just let the music wash over you and take it in. Both are great experiences.

Very glad I got these, I have to think at some point they will go out of print.

Jarleboy, supermd and HotelYorba101 like this.
  19. George P

George P Notable Member

Got a 20 dollar Amazon credit recently, so I picked up the SHM GH vol 2!

20. I am kind of surprised the initial run hasn't gone OOP.

Hey ... That's great! It just means more people can discover how good these SHMs are (at less--than-extortionist pricing).

supermd, ispace, Oyster Boy and 3 others like this.
  21. Futurecity

Futurecity Forum Resident

Can you please compare how "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" sounds between the Captain Fantastic SHM CD and the Greatest Hits Volume II SHM CD? I had heard that the songs on the GH Vol. II SHM CD don't sound quite as good or the same as they do on the individual SHM album CDs? Was just curious if you could explain what the SQ differences might be, or maybe the sources used for GH Vol. II CD are a bit different too?

22. George P

George P Notable Member

Update. Here's my favorite CD/SACD for each album:

Empty Sky + Lady Samantha
    - Japan DJM
    Elton John - 2011 SHM SACD
    Tumbleweed Connection - MFSL
    Madman Across The Water - 2019 SHM
    Honky Chateau - MFSL
    Don't Shoot Me - 2019 SHM
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - MFSL
    Captain Fantastic - 2019 SHM
    Rock of the Westies - AF
    Blues Moves - 2019 SHM

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

What made you change your mind on Tumbleweed and Honky?

24. George P

George P Notable Member

I like the EQ on them more than on the SHMs. The SHMs sound great, I just prefer the MFSLs a bit more.

wayneklein, oopap and jhm like this.
  25. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Thoughts on Caribou?

CBackley likes this.