Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i'm doubtful about the remastering on these new releases too, though i'm pretty sure there is a Greg Penny 5.1 mix of Don't Shoot Me in the can, along with 5.1's of Caribou, Westies & Blue Moves.. all just waiting to be liberated from the vault.

Jarleboy and Beaneydave like this.
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I defer to your more recent experience, all the old SHM-CDs (non Platinum) I have bought have the green upper side I think.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    sound chaser likes this.
  3. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

The last shm cds (for example Savoy Brown, 38 special, Atlanta Rhytm Section....) are all new flat transfers.....
    All booklets say 24/192 fiat transfer from original analog master....

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Captain Fantastic needs "House of Cards" !!!

5. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Captain Fantastic needs nothing mate!!

;)
    Peace and love✌

Shvartze Shabbos and Oyster Boy like this.
  6. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

this is encouraging to hear! thanks for the info.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

At least for the 38 Special, they carry the old compact disc mastering's. So when I see 'Flat Transfer' being used as a keyword I can't help to think some of these have been released before on the oldies or possibly just level shifted. Strength In Numbers, except for the first track is identical to my old US.

Plan9 likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

So they are not new transfers at all...

9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I never went further Tom with 38 because of that. The packaging of course was top notch! But I already have the old ones on compact disc.
    I'd love to see DR reports for The Human League Flat Transfers to see if those match up with anything. It could be some of those old compact mastering's were Flat Transfers to begin with.
    'Flat Transfer' to me pretty much means pre-remaster (Which can be good or bad) :laugh:

10. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

This interview with Greg Penny implies/confirms that he did surround mixes from "Elton John" through "Blue Moves" and he says that Blue Moves came out the best of all them. So come on man, lets get the rest of them released.

11. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

Man I am chomping (or champing) at the bit for this...come on let's get the SACD's released for these! I hesitate to purchase any of these cd's (as I purchased all the vinyl reissues and own every other CD release) but if this is SACD I am all in no questions asked.

SquishySounds, Jarleboy and dobyblue like this.
  12. redfox62

redfox62 Forum Resident

No. " 96khz/24 bit fiat transfer from analogue master tape by Kevin Bartley at Capitol Studios, Los Angels.
    I compared it with the old USA A&M. They are tonally similar, but the shm one is much more detailed.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't have any insider information about these, but it might be worth noting that when several Who albums were reissued in 2011, the bonus tracks from the '90s remixes were mostly retained, but the actual albums were the original mixes (newly mastered) and the bonus tracks were in some cases different mixes. So there's at least precedent for using new mastering combined with existing bonus tracks.

Usually they are pretty clear when existing masterings have been reused.

I want to say all of my SHM-SACDs have green tops, but I don't think any of my SHM-CDs do.

14. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just checked three recent releases from Japan,Steve Miller and Canned Heat and B 52,s they quoted 2017 remastered and they were remastered with Japanese engineers, i think flat transfers and all three sound pretty good,so we may get a good sounding set of releases.

fredblue likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

SHM CDs tend to have very plain silver tops with hardly anything written on them. It’s caused me to place the disc upside down in my CD player more than once.:D

sonnyrock and fredblue like this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You're right, I only have SHM-SACDs, hence the confusion. :)

dobyblue, c-eling and lukpac like this.
  17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

So, any updates on this series?

18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

According to Google:

11 - [Bonus Track] Screw You
    12 - [Bonus Track] Naughty Jack
    13 - [Bonus track] Please come home for me
    14- [Bonus Track] Skyline · Pigeon (Piano · Version)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  19. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Naughty Jack!! I never knew he covered Spinal Tap, really excited to hear this... Or was that Saucy Jack ..

20. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Regarding GYBR I thought the tapes had to be gently 'baked' to restore them for the last remasters according to the sleeve notes, so I'm guessing at least they won't be used unless they were captured digitally?

(For what it's worth all my SHM cds have plain blue/green uppers, I don't do Platinum or SACD.)

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean. Tapes can be re-baked as necessary.

22. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

June 20 (CD Japan)

Is there a precedent of the SHM-CD release being followed by SHM-SACD a few months later?

23. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

That is my experience until I got the eight Macca mini-LP SHMs, which have similar labels on the non play side as the Paul McCartney Archive Collection versions. Was surprised.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Hope they’re not bootlegs.:D

Oyster Boy likes this.
  25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Check out this thread from page 17 . @toilet_doctor is extremely knowledgable and there is some clarification around the mastering on the EJ SHMs, in that they will be new masters.
    Japan Mini LP SHM-CDs - New Releases, George Harrison and more