Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. No problem. Thanks for the correction (I should have noticed the timings).

All 13 that I ordered are in the pipeline. :goodie:

2. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Wow, these are close to the first generation....
    Album details - Dynamic Range Database

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes there is always a booklet in Japanese in black and white. At the back of the booklet there is often the information on mastering and the date it was done.
    All the other packaging will be a replica of the original (often UK) release.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

5. Flaming Torch

Thanks for posting all the DR stuff. I have most on order now save for the Hits collections. I never had those as records - is there anything unique on them?

6. Oyster Boy

Nothing wrong with your ears:)

7. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

So far I am in the minority on this. I have just the new SHM GH and GH2 ( waiting on Honky Chateau ) and I find these new SHMs to be very harsh and shrill. Too punchy in some cases like on Philadelphia Freedom. The music just lies there for me, doesn't surround you. I've compared them, where ever possible, to my DCC GH, AF ROTW ( for Island Girl and Grow Some Funk... ), all of my SACDs from 2005 and GBYR from 2o03. They lose on every listen.

My testing method is the one that matters most to me. My ears.

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

:shrug: We all hear what we hear however I’m not sure how these could sound harsh and shrill to anyone.

9. crazywater

They do to me and I just thought I pass on my honest opinion. I see all the praise and so far I am not hearing anything that is praise worthy.

lennonology and jhm like this.
  10. Oyster Boy

How do they compare to the relevant tracks on the MCA TBC? Are they better or worse to our ears?

11. crazywater

Haven't done that comparison yet but plan to.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  12. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

And thank you for your post.

"Don't Shoot Me..." is currently waiting for me and "Blue Moves" is on order.

Sadly it'll be a couple of weeks before I can do any comparisons.

If they turn out to be great I'll grab "Caribou" (if only for the correct channels!)

The rest, I'm happy with the MFSL/Audio Fidelity/SACDs that I have.

crazywater likes this.
  13. Flaming Torch

Nobby or anyone else can you explain correct channels on Caribou? I own the 95/96 remaster on cd and a card sleeve from Japan from about 2001 which I think is the same master. I have an old (from the release time) UK vinyl but have not played it in years. I am assuming that some of the Caribou cds have channels the wrong way round on some or all of the tracks?

14. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

The first DJM CD of "Caribou" had left/right channels the wrong way round...

As I think did "Tumbleweed Connection".

Probably mastered on the same machine on the same day. Could they have been consecutive catalogue numbers?

Flaming Torch likes this.
  15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Ha ha... I guessed you know! :)

I was expecting Caribou to have a DJM CDxx adjacent to that of Tumbleweed.

Were they issued in the same batch?

17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Ordered Don’t Shoot Me and Caribou. Will compare the former with my ‘91 DJM Japan when I get it.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It does:

DJM CD 6 2895 429 01 #

19. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

I amended my reply while you were typing yours...

Same release date maybe?

lukpac likes this.
  20. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Fair enough, but your previous post said that you've only listened to these in your car... have you heard them on a home system yet?

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's something I'm not certain about. I don't think the various releases have ever been properly documented, just a disc here and there.

22. crazywater

I have listened to both GH/GH2 on my home system several times. It wasn't till I listened in the car did I begin to notice a difference. I will of course continue comparing. I am going to try to piece together a file of multiple versions of each to demonstrate the differences more easily.

Tom Campbell, Plan9 and jhm like this.
  23. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Ok. I need one final push. How does Don't Shoot Me sound on the new SHMs?
    I have most of EJ 70s on the Rocket/Islands only and noticed Don't Shoot Me was muddier than the rest. It will be my first choice then Honky.
    Anyone?

24. zonka

zonka Forum Resident

Mine is coming early next week. If no one posts DR #s I will when I get it.

mikaal and Carlox like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I also use my ears to guide me. I have nine of these SHM but have only listened to two of them. To me they sounded the opposite to harsh and shrill. I found the sound warm and inviting with an amazingly focus on details on all ranges.
    But it all comes down to individual preferences-we tend to hear things differently.
    So far there seems to be a consensus that these new cd s sounds very good. I can only compare with my memory since I had all these cd s as LP.s back in the days. With the exeption of GYBR I never owned Eltons music on cd. But to my ears these cd s sounds gorgeous and also looks gorgeous
    Well worth the wait