Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Do not agree! I think the song is 3 half baked half finished scraps moulded into 6 and a half minutes. Actually the time spent listening to it passes ok. I think the musicians and vocals help carry the day and along with Dan Dare and the last song on the album this is what I meant by the Elton/Bernie well running dry. Having said that Captain Fantastic was released in May of 1975 and ROTW October 75. I believe the mighty Coldplay make an album of mediocre songs once a decade.
    Anyway I like ROTW and shall be playing it again and keeping both cds!

2. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Perhaps if you guys want to have a debate about specific songs you could start a thread about it as this should be kept for talking about the new reissues sound quality, packaging etc

ispace likes this.
  3. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

I'm not sure who you're referring to (above), but in my case, it's my ex-fiancé from our college days that is a resident of Japan. She's planning on walking into Disk Union in Tokyo, purchasing the box for me, and shipping it over the weekend. The chances of you knowing her are pretty slim. :D

supermd and d.s.l. like this.
  4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Agree- even though Jamaica jerk of never will be a favorite. It s a happy-go-lucky thing. Good fun. Problem is the same as many reggae-attempts from rock-artist at the time. They have no real idea how to get the reggae-backbeat right. It certanely sounds good on this edition though.

Oyster Boy and jhm like this.
  5. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Ok felows, i played my Tumbleweed and Honky. Compared with the my 95/96 cd, it's night and day!!!
    I can't speak about other issues, because I've never heard them. (Only have the SACD of Honky, GYRoad and CFantastic, but not compared yet).
    But one thing I can tell you, the sound is sublime (i don't think even when I heard the SACD's, Stereo only, i was so surprised by the quality of the sound ...).
    The sound is very clear, the instruments very detailed and present, the voice... the voice... wow! EVERYTHING!!!!
    The bass, as jhm said, is "substantial, realistic bass for one while remaining very detailed overall".
    In short and in conclusion, I am determined to get the rest of the collection, three of them are already on their way: Madman, Don't Shoot and Captain.

Chris, reading the thread, it will not be hard to figure out who was the major influence, to the point of "mesmerizing" us, into buying the titles again. :)
    At least, two names stand out (in my opinion, of course...), but without disregarding other members, many, for their equally essential reports.
    But the members who "convinced" me to buy the albums again, after all ... were right. :agree: :tiphat:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Chris C, supermd, thetman and 4 others like this.
  6. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Fair enough, thanks for the reminder NoName.

noname74 likes this.
  7. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Did you compare the flacs that were posted earlier, Jhm? I’m curious how you rated the MFSL, which came out #1 for me; I’ve been pretty happy with it all these years.

8. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

Oh, I forgot to mention the packaging.
    Fantastic, especially Honky Château, what a class !!

Oyster Boy, fredblue and Bemagnus like this.
  9. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Since I posted the flacs, yes, I compared them :righton:. Confession time, I only have a copy of the MFSL, not an original disc. If I did, I'd have had a harder time buying yet another version. As it stands, the MFSL came out as #2 on my personal listening test, so I'm very happy with the new SHM-CD. Like I said, it boils down to what type of sound signature one prefers. The (admittedly non-scientific and anecdotal) bit of feedback I got via PM regarding the FLAC samples, most people either gravitated to either the MFSL or the new SHM-CD as their favorite. Actually I hope people who are considering pulling the trigger on this title will refer to the samples I posted, as I really do feel one's choice will come down to the mastering choices that were made with each title and thus the sound signature one prefers. For me, between the MFSL and the new SHM-CD, I don't think you can really say one is "better" than the other. Of course that's just my opinion and YMMV. There are certainly copies of the MFSL on Discogs that I saw that are a bit less expensive than the SHM currently is.

P.S. If anyone needs/wants the samples after the link I provided expires, just let me know and I can make them available to you.

ispace, Carlox, supermd and 3 others like this.
  10. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

:biglaugh:LOL sorry, I forgot who originally posted them!
    By the way, it was the single most helpful post in this entire thread (which has been great overall). I really appreciate the time you took to help us out.

Oyster Boy and jhm like this.
  11. E_Braunn_Fan

E_Braunn_Fan Forum Resident

Purchased Blue Moves last week from cdjapan since I don't own any previous version of that album, but am still waiting for it to arrive. Just bought TC, EJ, and DSM since I only have the deluxe versions for EJ, TC, and the Polydor for DSM.

Holding off on the rest since I have the MFSL GYBR & HC, DMJ CF, and MCA for Japan MATW.

There are currently two coupon codes available on cdjapan as well. One for 200JPY off a purchase of 2,000JPY or more and for 500JPY off a purchase of 5,000JPY or more good through 9/12/19.

SPECIAL09C200

SPECIAL09C500

12. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

As I posted earlier, I directly compared two heavy hitters; the MFSLs of Tumbleweed Connection and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, with the new SHMs. The new discs came out on top for me. Frankly, I was shocked.

13. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I have 10 of the 13 and from what I’ve heard so far, they ALL sound stellar, can’t imagine them getting any better. I’m absolutely thrilled with these so far, they are the real deal!

14. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

goodbye yellow brickwall, say hello hello! :biglaugh:
    Caribou's on its way and on the basis of what i've heard so far, against all odds, i cannot wait to hear it :goodie:

Carlox, Oyster Boy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Managed to listen to Idol yet?

fredblue likes this.
  16. gadgetman

gadgetman Forum Resident

cdjapan been converting from yen but in the uk i would pay in US dollars so are my calculations correct.

Blue moves which is slightly more two cds,then 4 others comes to $143.84. So with our rip of conversion comes to £82.74 inc the cheapest delivery option. Not too bad if that is the case and you end up not paying custom fees.

17. Sorry had my wires crossed. Renee’ the Japanese eBay seller is whom I referring to.

18. TinyDancer

TinyDancer Forum Resident

I got all 13 yesterday. Listened to Caribou and Don’t shoot me last night. Honky Chateau now and Captain Fantastic after. All I can say is WOW. I didn’t expect the ones that had been released as SACD to sound any better than the Hi res stereo layers but they certainly are. I’m so glad I invested in these. The packaging is so good as well. Even the texture of Honky just like the original vinyl cover.

19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Having so much fun with these CD-s. Just gave Madman a closer listening. It just sounds mesmerizing.All the nasties absolutely explodes with the choir filling up the room and the bass/drums shines like never before. If I did not know better I would have guessed it was a re-mix
    :)

20. Bobby Morrow

The SACDs are very clear and detailed, but also pretty loud. You can crank them, but you’ll develop a headache quite quickly.:) The SHM CDs will go as loud as you want without becoming uncomfortable to listen to.

21. TinyDancer

TinyDancer Forum Resident

When I bought the SACD’s I must admit I did buy them for the surround mixes but I binned the regular Gus remastered CD’s and with the exception of GYBR the only copies of these albums I had. Obviously now these will be the go to discs for stereo and the SACD’s for surround. GYBR I have the 30th anniversary special SACD, the 40th anniversary box set, the DVD Audio, the Blu Ray Audio and now the SHM CD

Carlox and fredblue like this.
  22. fredblue

no i've been away, i'll put BM SHM CD2 through its' paces at the weekend! :righton:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. fredblue

excellent! i don't remember the Stereo on those SACDs that fondly but i shouldn't rely on my memory, i'll give them a go again soon! :edthumbs:

24. Bobby Morrow

Can’t you just play Idol now? Put us out of our misery.:D

fredblue likes this.
  25. fredblue

that sounds along the lines of what i thought of the old SACDs.. pretty sure you and i had a convo on here about them a while back to similar effect!

Bobby Morrow likes this.