Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Those two might be my favorites of this series. Enjoy!

fredblue likes this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Chances are you end up like me-with the lot. They are addictive and dangerous things these little shining discs.
    :)

Mike McMann, fredblue and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm probably going to end up buying all of these... I didn't have any plans to, but after receiving my first two and seeing the packaging, they got me!

I'm planning on getting a few every couple weeks, as long as they stay in stock until I'm done.

4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I have been enjoying GH 2 a lot over the past couple days! I thought the transition from "Island Girl" to "Grow Some Funk of Your Own" is excellent and keeps the same vibe. It struck me while sitting in my car waiting for my girlfriend. I'm not familiar with Rock of the Westies at all, so I was glad to know the album proper also has that transition.

fredblue and Oyster Boy like this.
  5. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Always thought GH2 plays really well and as a compilation really works.

supermd likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Can you remember what day it was posted?

7. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

yup. Thats what I ended up doing. I knew I wanted the whole set after ordering and listening to my first batch.:agree:

8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I wish there was a bundle that let you save $ by ordering them all.

fredblue likes this.
  9. Jelloza

Jelloza My hard drive is full of vinyl

My Yellow Box has arrived from Japan! Absolute quality. Why isn't everything this nice? I'll be able to listen to some of these this evening, but the packaging is unreal!

GALLERY OF THE UN-BOXING [36 Images]: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zS5nyFenTiwhw5uA9

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  10. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Monday

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Cool, thanks! I wonder if that pink and black sticker on the protective outer sleeve is a Disc Union thing? It does not appear on any of the discs I've purchased.

Jelloza likes this.
  12. fredblue

..and when your girlfriend arrived Elton was singing "then along came a señorita, she looked so good that i had to meet her.."!! :biglaugh:

supermd and Oyster Boy like this.
  13. AndoDoug

AndoDoug Forum Resident

Because Japan. Quality.

14. True, true!

I'm obviously in the minority, but I think that the Disk Union box " of old yellow bricks" is a bit hideous. Certainly there could have been a better presentation for an artist of Elton's stature (IMHO).

But, obviously there are those who are cool with the design of it.

And even if the outer box were more to my liking, I'd still question whether it was worth the extra $130 (more or less).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  15. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

Wow....can't wait till my box shows up. Impressive package.

Jelloza and M.R.Collins like this.
  16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

He knows her so well. :)

fredblue likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Tomorrow then, hopefully?

I’m 99% sure you’ll love it!

fredblue likes this.
  18. Bobby Morrow

I agree. The box seems sturdy but looks like it was designed by a bad tempered toddler.

Although it’s not the right era, I’d personally love the box design to be based on the back of the Leather Jacket album with Elton and his biker chums.:D

sonnyrock likes this.
  19. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Who cares about how the box looks
    The point is that is an exclusive item
    Guess the albums carry some weight to
    :)

20. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

This is killing me....
    :winkgrin:

21. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

How does the new SHM stereo GBYBR stand up to the stereo on the '03 SACD & BD Pure Audio? I have the 5.1 and the Pure Audio 5.1. The surround on those two are supposed to be the same.

22. I care how the outer box looks … to an extent.---Just because it's an exclusive presentation.

I just don't care for it. If others like it, then so be it. :)

The "weight / importance" of the albums are not in dispute! They are all classics, IMO. … Yeah, even "the lowly / much-maligned" Empty Sky.

And they all sound fantastic via these latest SHM CD offerings, which is the most important aspect!

Bemagnus likes this.
  23. fredblue

sorry i don't know, i haven't compared the stereo. wrt 5.1, the '03 SACDs and Pure Audio Blu-ray are to all intents and purposes the same, other than the lack of fade in at the start of Social Disease on the 5.1 of the Pure Audio Blu-ray.

duneman likes this.
  24. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I think my question about GH1 having any unique tracks got lost in the flow of the thread, so how about it, is the SMH-CD worth picking up if one gets all the albums with the same tracks?

25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The tracks themselves won't be unique, but based on my listening of GH 2, the tracks on GH 1 will be from the GH master tape, which is made up of dubs. They will sound "muted" and "duller" compared to those same tracks on the main albums, but this doesn't mean they don't sound good. Once you understand that and go in with the appropriate expectations, you'll enjoy it.

I ordered a copy, myself. I love the idea of being a time traveler, hearing this GH comp how they would have heard it back in the day.