Elton John new 2018 remasters shm.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by swintonlion, Apr 11, 2018.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Since these new masters allegedly use the original tapes (or am I mistaken?) does Tumbleweed Connection have the original double-tracked vocals on the chorus of “Where to Now, St. Peter”?

2. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

No double-tracked vocals.

CBackley likes this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Since Blue Moves has near universal praise here, with most saying the new SHM is the best digital version by a long shot, I thought this would be amusing. Currently the only review on the CDJapan website is two out of five stars with the following text: "I don't like the 2018 master sounds dull & flat. The 1995 remaster is much better. Wasted my money on this cd."

4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Was this reviewer named "Skullcandy Earphone Listener" or something? :D

5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There is one in every crowd
    Blue Moves is one of the best sounding pop/rock cd-s I have ever heard- I belonged to those who liked this beast of an album before but the sound you get here makes me appreciate it a lot more-

jhm, CBackley, Oyster Boy and 2 others like this.
  6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have listened from the ST album to Rock of the Westies. My selection of the best SHM-CDs.... music & sound. Some sound better as the originals, especially Don't Shoot.... IMO

I do prefer the SHM-SACD of the ST album, and DCC LP of Madman Across the Water.

[​IMG]

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Put on GYBR again, man this is finally it! I had the Mofi mastering but for as warm as it sounded it just had a quality I knew that could be slightly improved and this SHM remaster has it all.

How are you all digging this version of this album so far? I recently shelled out money for the limited edition Tool album so may hold off on others, unless Honky Chateau and Tumbleweed are leaps and bounds better than the already amazing MFSL masterings of those

toilet_doctor, jhm, CBackley and 2 others like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

For me -this version of GYBR is the best sounding one I’ve ever heard. Can t imagine it sounding better. Some of these CD:s are spectacular -GYBR certanely is one of them

9. stever

stever Senior Member

I would really like the SHM GH 2 for the four non-album tracks. I just can’t talk myself into it. The consensus here is the mastering on the two Greatest Hits packages is subpar compared to the proper albums?

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I have both the GH collections on order. Just could not resist. Wanted them all
    :)

supermd, Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I don't think they're subpar. I've been enjoying them. If I understand what some folks have stated, I think the issue is the tapes for the hits packages are dubs from the master tapes used for the albums so they're a step down or two from the album versions. They're probably still the best the two GH albums have ever sounded on CD. All I know is I like them, but I also bought some of the albums too so I'm not just locked into GH1 and GH2 for my listening pleasure.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Subpar is such a subjective thing. For the songs I have that overlap GH V0l. 2, (such as "Benny and The Jets"), they sound better on their respective albums IMO. I can't say they sound "bad" on GH V2 though. Perhaps I'll get some samples together and post them here.

supermd and toilet_doctor like this.
  13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Ok, for those curious, I made a sampler of tracks from GH Vol. 2. I included the singles, the Tommy track and two songs that overlap with individual album releases in the series ("The Bitch Is Back" and "Benny and The Jets"). Yes, I realize that "Bitch" is a single version, but I think it gets us in the ballpark comparison wise :)!

01. The Bitch Is Back.flac and 5 more files

The usual caveat; the link is good for a week and then disappears into the either. The songs are just samples to avoid any potential controversy with sharing them.

ispace, toilet_doctor and Oyster Boy like this.
  14. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The guy's name is right there on the review at CD Japan for anyone interested (he's a Canadian gentleman). I just didn't want to "call him out" by posting his name on a larger forum like this one :righton:. He might get a lot worse than "Skullcandy Earphone Listener" (which was great by the way) :)!

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

As this is the only main album from this series I have received thus far, plus have access to the MFSL version, my comparisons on my headphone unit show me that, excuse this over-used phrase, a blanket has been lifted. The MFSL version is warm and very "rounded" - no sharp edges, kids! The vocals on the new SHM, in comparison, sound so much clearer. The bass also gets more defined and not as foggy or, forgive another cliche, muddy. Yeah, I said it. Muddy... in comparison. I'm looking forward to playing this SHM GYBR on my main system soon.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  16. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Just wanted to say thanks to all the great reviewers here and to say you've got me very excited to dive in to this collection. I bought the whole batch a few weeks back but just have had too much going on in real life to do any listening. When that happens, especially with albums I know by heart and have low expectations of hearing anything "new", it usually means they go on the shelf and maybe not listened to for a long time.

All this positive feedback has me excited to sit down and do some serious listening now, to what are some of my all-time favorite albums. Very cool!

:cool:

17. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

This is exactly what I feel about them as well (I have GH2 now with GH1 on the way). GH2 is certainly worth it just to such have fine masterings of the non-album tracks.

Oyster Boy and supermd like this.
  18. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I've received and listened to parts of all the first 11 of these I ordered (all but GH1, ES and ROTW). I agree with all the praise on here. These are definitely wonderful sounding CDs. I have all the SACDs and the Classic Years remasters. I've also had or heard the MFSLs and the old DJMs. I also have most of these classic years albums on DJM pressings plus the recent vinyl reissues and their downloads. These new Japanese releases have definitely as good if not better masterings than all the others I've heard (DJM was close on some but I hate what primitive digital converters did to transients and especially to cymbals).

What strikes me about these new releases is how the mastering engineer managed to achieve a balance. He maintained the character of each album yet there's a certain sameness to the sound that means you can mix the tracks (as I did on the drive to work this morning after ripping them all to AAC files last night) with a random track selection and the tracks could all be from the same album. Blue Moves tracks certainly sound amazing but the Don't Shoot Me tracks that always sounded a bit oversaturated (that "Trident edge") sound a lot cleaner. Caribou doesn't sound nearly as thin as all the vinyl releases I've tried (except for the recent vinyl reissue). Madman sound stunning. In fact, there's not really a dud in the bunch. I'm curious to see what the mastering engineer did with Empty Sky.

19. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So I spent last night comparing the MFSL and AF titles to the new SHM-CD on headphones.

GYBR - The SHM actually did pull ahead. I wouldn't say a landslide or anything, but wow, I am surprised because the MFSL has been a favorite of mine forever. I noted that Social Disease is even quieter start on the SHM and the increase in volume seems even more apparent than the MFSL.

Honky Chateau - This one is hard. I am not sure I liked the SHM more than the MFSL. They do sound a tad different but the MFSL has a little brighter sound which I may like more, Going back to SHM brings a little more a mellowness that also works. I am not sure on this one. I call it a tie.

Tumbleweed Connection - This one was also very very difficult. Elton's breathing before singing is clearly heard on the MFSL and kind of disappears on the SHM. Tonally these are the same, most details are on both as well. The drums seem easier to digest and better fidelity on the SHM. I don't know, this is another tie for me. The MFSL held is still a great pressing after all these years.

Madman Across the Water - The SHM was slightly easier on the ears. The MFSL always sounded a little too echo"y" and overly full with a bit muddy bass. The tone of the MFSL and SHM are the same which is different than most other pressings I have heard. The SHM cleans up the MFSL image and makes it more succinct. So the SHM comes ahead for me.

Rock of the Westies - Also hard. The Audio Fidelity sounds similar to the SHM. I didn't realize that this album is not that great of a recording. The bass on many songs has distortion to me. The SHM mellows the distortion a tad. The AF has a little more "in your face" presentation. I think I might call the SHM a winner here. My favorite track "Feed Me" has better drum sound and clarity to my ears on the SHM.

So here is my final roundup:

Empty Sky - SHM is best overall by a good margin.
    Elton John - SHM betters the 2 MCA pressings and Polydor pressing.
    Tumbleweed - Toss up between the MFSL and SHM. Both sound excellent. Could live with either.
    Madman - SHM comes out ahead due to cleaning up the muddiness and wall of sound of the MFSL.
    Honky - Toss up between the MFSL and SHM. Both sound excellent. Could live with either.
    Don't Shoot Me - SHM hands down the best this has sounded
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - The SHM comes out slightly a head of the MFSL which was my favorite and I have heard them all.
    Caribou - SHM betters the MCA and Polydor.
    Captain Fantastic - SHM and original MCA are really close. Can't declare a winner. Could live with either.
    Rock of the Westies - SHM and AF are close, SHM comes out slightly more balanced. Could live with either.
    Blues Moves - No contest, SHM is the best over the original and remastered MCAs I have.
    Greatest Hits II - SHM is best sounding version for sure over MCA and Polydor, but it still has some muddiness. The tracks on the SHM studio albums are better.

ispace, Carlox, TimM and 16 others like this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for taking the time to do this! It's very, very helpful :righton:!

I'm really hoping my package containing my next five SHMs comes in from Japan today!

21. supermd

supermd Senior Member

After sharing my thoughts on GYBR above, I did another little comparison for myself between the SHM and MFSL, and this description fits the MFSL of this title as well, specifically the echoey part.

Oyster Boy and toilet_doctor like this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

My first order from CDJapan was delayed due to a conversation I was having with them, so that arrives tomorrow, but the package of 7 I ordered on Sunday was just delivered! Check your tracking number. :)

P.S. These guys know how to securely package your stuff. Nothing but class from Japan, in this Elton experience.

23. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

Lovealego The Best Digital Version List

Empty Sky - SHM is best overall by a good margin.
    Elton John - SHM betters the 2 MCA pressings and Polydor pressing.
    Tumbleweed Connection - Toss up between the MFSL and SHM. Both sound excellent. Could live with either.
    Madman Across The Water - SHM comes out ahead due to cleaning up the muddiness and wall of sound of the MFSL.
    Honky Chateau - Toss up between the MFSL and SHM. Both sound excellent. Could live with either.
    Don't Shoot Me - SHM hands down the best this has sounded
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - The SHM comes out slightly a head of the MFSL which was my favorite and I have heard them all.
    Caribou - SHM betters the MCA and Polydor.
    Captain Fantastic - SHM and original MCA are really close. Can't declare a winner. Could live with either.
    Rock of the Westies - SHM and AF are close, SHM comes out slightly more balanced. Could live with either.
    Blues Moves - No contest, SHM is the best over the original and remastered MCAs I have.
    Greatest Hits II - SHM is best sounding version for sure over MCA and Polydor, but it still has some muddiness. The tracks on the SHM studio albums are better.

Thank you very much, Lovealego, for providing such valuable information, for your time and your opinion.
    This will be a good starting point for our list of sound quality ratings.
    I hope to collect all opinions and come to a common agreement.
    It will be the most compact guide to Elton John ever.

ispace, Carlox, lonelysea and 3 others like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

A blanket has been lifted? I've only compared the title track, thanks to @jhm's samples, but if anything, it's the MFSL that has (very slightly) more high frequency response. If anything it's the SHM that has a (again, very slight) veil to it.

Oyster Boy and crazywater like this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I compared all tracks on the album. The piano was a lot clearer at the start of "Candle in the Wind" (less bottom - or is it mids? - to it) and his vocals on the songs sound so clear. Some songs sounded echoey in the vocals on the MFSL, and that echo seemed gone or far lessened on the SHM. The bass also seems tightened up. I prefer the SHM.