Elton John - New Vinyl Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamesRR, Oct 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Not bad though...shame Part Time Love didn't make it on there. Although non - Bernie Taupin songs seem to feature much less in Elton's repertoire thesedays.

2. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Yes it is indeed. I have the film from itunes (previously on vhs, although that's long gone).

3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream Thread Starter

Hmm...so I wonder if the full 10 minutes of "Grapevine" will be on there. It is one of Elton's most epic performances. Nice to see Funeral/Tonight - but would've been nicer with some of the deeper cuts (Roy Rogers, Think I'm Gonna Kill Myself, etc).

I sincerely doubt the download will have anything more than the show on the vinyl.

Mooserfan likes this.
  4. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Thanks for your hard work. I did some listening comparison between a UK 1st pressing of Captain Fantastic and the Ludwig remaster and preferred the original UK pressing. It has more detail to it without sounding clinical. However, I thought the Ludwig sounded very good and for anyone who doesn't want to pay sky high prices for the original pressings, these would work nicely.

5. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I was thinking the same that its a shame Rogers and Kill Myself didnt make it. Especially with Ray's xylophone solo.

6. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

No Sixty Years On? I guess I'm not upset it's not going to be offered on CD then.

NunoBento likes this.
  7. JamesRR

Honestly, the boot of this show is pretty good. It's pulled from the broadcast. Aside from EQ fixes, the vinyl will simply be based off of the same BBC recording - so it's not likely to be a huge difference.

Looking again - a lot of good stuff is on the vinyl, though. Funeral/Tonight are quite fantastic, and grapevine is worth the price of admission if it's the whole 10 min version with the insane solo.

Brother Maynard likes this.
  8. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I like the boot that I've heard. The audio (and that on VHS) of 60 Years On has a strange, probably accidental quality to it. Like it's being played through a Leslie speaker or something.

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

And certainly the reissues are better than original US MCA vinyl across the board, for those without easy access to DJMs.

Neil Barrett likes this.
  10. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

it sounds like these reissues are getting great reviews. but have anyone compared directly to a UK first press? big difference? tumbleweed and madman would be most important to me to get the best available press

11. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

I had a go at making an objective comparison here - Elton John - New Vinyl Releases . I don't really trust my own ears so I wouldn't be able to give you much of a subjective review - they sound very good to me though.

12. tjannace

interesting what do those numbers actually mean, range? is that the most important aspect of sound quality? what about warmth

13. Neil Barrett

Neil Barrett Forum Resident

Dynamic Range is the ratio between the quietest and the loudest portions of a song. The bigger the ratio, the more dynamic the song will be.

It is definitely not meaningless, the primary problem with many reissues is the way that everything has been compressed to the nines and there's no room for the music to breathe.

Compare the dynamic ranges of the 2011 reissued Nevermind to the original 1991 release, for example - Album list - Dynamic Range Database

The 2011 reissues were hated because of how loud they were, how exhausting they were to listen to.

There are lots of other ways that a release can be done right, or done wrong. DR is just the only objective way we have of comparing releases. I provided samples so that you can make your own subjective assessment on how the reissues sound.

Edit--
    Having said that - I've just seen that there's some software that can help you reconstruct what EQing has been done in the mastering process - see here - https//forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/stereolab-2019-reissue-campaign-and-a-live-return.791754/page-12#post-21174342

This is all just numbers in the end though, and it's of quite limited use. That thread has some wonderful discussion about how the Stereolab reissues sound to real human ears. We need some sound connoisseurs over here!

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  14. tjannace

from the previous post it looks like the DR is about the same from originals to reissues

15. JamesRR

Well said. Different formats have different maximum dynamic ranges, too. CDs have a capacity for a wider dynamic range than a vinyl record - and as stated, sometimes that is utilized in a less-than-pleasing way by loudening the music. Essentially, because it's possible it's done, rather than what might sound the best. (All of this is highly subjective, of course).

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

“Loudness” is a very misunderstood and very frequently misapplied term here at SH.TV. Many use it as a catch all, but actually conflate the term as it applies to amplitude with how it can be applied with regard to added compression and/or peak limiting.

Quiet or loud in and of itself means nothing with regard to fidelity of the mastering. You can have a fairly “loud” mastering of a recording with plenty of dynamics and a fairly “quiet” mastering of the same recording with limited dynamics. Now it doesn’t often happen that way because the reason most recordings are compressed is to also make the average volume loud in order to compete with other stuff - but it does happen.

17. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Is there a complete list of the Bob Ludwig Elton John vinyl remasters anywhere? I’ve searched around (here and on the googles) but can’t seem to find a definitive list.

18. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Mooserfan likes this.
  19. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

So they've done Bob Ludwig remastered vinyl releases of all of the "classic era" (1969-1976) studio albums. Finding a list of the "post-classic era" stuff seems weirdly less-than-easy.

Here's what I've got so far - culled from discogs (note that I'm ignoring the live albums):

Less Than Zero (1983)
    Sleeping With The Past (1989)
    The Big Picture (1997)
    Songs From The West Coast (2001)

Is that it? Does anyone know if there are plans to do more, like The Diving Board or The Captain And The Kid or Peachtree Road, which seems to be scarce on vinyl?

20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I was wondering the same thing.

21. JamesRR

Just bumping this because Songs from the West Coast is $13 right now at Amazon U.S. I paid $31 for it when it was released, so this is a great buy for anyone wanting the album on vinyl.

mikedifr0923 and srsch like this.
  22. srsch

srsch Senior Member

So, did anyone buy the Here and There Ludwig remaster? Perhaps a price slash is coming.

23. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

Here's my most cynical question ever.

Do big online retailers recycle returned (defective) LPs and resell them at their later discounted pricea in the hope purchasers won't bother returning them?

Some purchasers might not bother returning a $13 LP with a bit of noise but they certainly would at $35 plus.

24. srsch

srsch Senior Member

That sounds very plausible to me.

25. JamesRR

It was already cut from its original high price (for a single album). Sounds good - quiet. The MSG show, while legendary, only suffers from the source material: Elton having a cold and sounding hoarse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.