Elton John - Original MCA Cd artwork

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by yesstiles, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

Which original MCA discs featured full back artwork for Elton John's classic releases?

Thanks!

2. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

The only one I have is "Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only the Piano Player."

It is MCA - 37113 Made in Japan for US.

Dated 1985.

Sounds nice.

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

You mean as opposed to the MCA plaid-back artwork? Tumbleweed and Madman are two that come to mind.

4. leonardpcarter

leonardpcarter New Member

In addition to Piano Player, there's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Madman Across the Water, and Caribou. Plus, both Greatest Hits Vol. I and II have artwork and no barcode on back in their earliest MCA versions. There may be others but those are the ones I've been able to find. They're all Japan for USA pressings, mostly by JVC. Yellow Brick Road exists in both a JVC Japan and a CBS/Sony Japan pressing in this first state with the full artwork backer. Yellow Brick Road was then reissued by MCA in a second state (same catalog number) with a pink backer and barcode. This second state can also be found in a JVC Japan for USA pressing. Numerous other Elton John titles exist in MCA Japan for USA early pressings, but they have plain color backers (often pink) with a barcode, while others have that criss cross plaid backer. Technically, Tumbleweed Connection may also qualify as "full back artwork" even though it's essentially the song titles on an off-white background. But there is no barcode on the MCA Tumbleweed Japan for USA pressing, suggesting it is among the earliest MCA releases. With Tumbleweed, it's the front artwork that's unusual in this earliest MCA state -- it's different from the original LP artwork and other CD issues.

5. yesstiles

Yeah

I have the full back artwork Don't Shoot Me.

One weird one I have is Westies with a full front booklet, but plaid back artwork. Made in JPN for USA. I've never seen an MCA disc with a full front booklet but a plaid back.

6. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I've also wondered about the full booklet on that MCA Westies.

Here's my theory: the catalog # of MCAD-31001 indicates that it could be an early entry (maybe the first?) in MCA's mid price line, and that they hadn't yet quite settled on the presentation of this series. Maybe they decided to cut back on the full booklets soon after beginning the series.

A lame theory maybe, but it's mine, ALL MINE! :D

7. yesstiles

So I wonder if there's an earlier MCA Westies cd then?

8. davers

davers Forum Resident

It's almost fascinating how may art variations those early MCA cds had. I've noticed this for the Who and Steely Dan catalogs as well. For example, I have three different back insert variations for "The Who By Numbers".

Regarding Sir Elton, I was happy to recently stumble across the "Yellow Brick Road" full back art version (2 cd set). Prior to that I had only seen pink back versions with variations on the front insert. The foldout insert had "cd 1" and "cd 2" identified on the front insert for one version, whereas my other version did not have this tag.

9. bigmikerocks

bigmikerocks Forum Resident

anyone care to post pictures of these different versions artworks? or are these on the net somewhere?

10. yesstiles

Are you sure there's an early MCA "Caribou" with full rear artwork?

11. yesstiles

Also, can anyone confirm there is in fact a "Captain Fantastic" with full rear artwork?

I have Japan MCA Cd's of Captain and Westies, but each with plaid backs.

Thanks!

12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Definitely.

13. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

I have a Caribou w/ full rear artwork. Its a Japan for MCA and has a yellow spine.

14. yesstiles

That's weird. I wonder why my Japan for USA is a purple plaid back?

Does yours have a full front booklet too?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The catalog number for that Caribou disc is MCAD-37065.

16. KeithH

If the plaid version (Compact Disc-Compact Price) has a low catalog number, meaning of the form MCAD-310XX, it is one of the first titles in the series and there likely is a Japanese pressing. For titles from this series that were first issued with full album artwork, you will probably find the original catalog number in the matrix code of the Japanese pressing.

Here's an example. The first issue of Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player has catalog number MCAD-37113 and full album artwork. Then there is a Compact Disc-Compact Price issue with plaid artwork and catalog number MCAD-31077. The Japanese pressing with catalog number MCAD-31077 has "MCAD-37113" in the matrix code.

17. Bill Pafford

Bill Pafford Hyperactive!

Yes, booklet is six pages with lyrics to all the songs.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'm also wondering about the two additional booklets that came with the "Captain Fantastic" LP & the booklet that came with the "Greatest Hits Volume 2" LP.

19. yesstiles

Thanks Keith.

Yeah, my "Westies" Japan for USA disc doesn't have a 37xxx number in the matrix, so I guess the plaid back is the only way to get "Westies," either JPN or USA. JPN crude font matrix on mine and full front booklet.

My "Empty Sky" is the same way (although no crude font matrix), so I guess it only came in a plaid back.

My USA plaid back "Caribou" does have a 37xxx matrix so I'll be on a look out for that full artwork version. One weird thing is, it is clearly a JPN pressed disc (matrix gives it away) yet it says Made in USA on the disc. I have other MCA discs like this, and I'm convinced these are JPN pressed discs that were shipped over without printing and Made in USA was printed on them. My Madman disc is just like this too.

The odd duck in my collection is my JPN for USA "Captain Fantastic." It's a JPN for USA pink back with a two-page front insert. The catalog number on the disc as well as in the matrix is MCAD-1613. There's also an additional catalog number on the spine and artwork: JVC-483. The matrix is crude font JPN.

So here is what I assume is correct regarding this MCA rear art issue:

Empty Sky: There are JPN for USA discs, but all are plaid backs
    Elton John: There are only USA discs, all with plaid backs
    Tumbleweed: There are JPN for USA discs with full rear artwork
    Madman: There are JPN for USA discs with full rear artwork
    11-17-70: There are only USA discs, all with plaid backs
    Honky Chateau: There are JPN for USA discs, but all are plaid backs
    Don't Shoot: There are JPN for USA discs with full rear artwork
    Goodbye Yellow: There are JPN for USA discs with full rear artwork
    Caribou: There are JPN for USA discs with full rear artwork
    Captain Fantastic: There are JPN for USA discs, but all are plaid/pink backs
    Rock of the Westies: There are JPN for USA discs, but all are plaid backs
    Blue Moves: There are only USA discs, all with plaid/blue backs

Is this correct?

20. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

What about "Greatest Hits" & Steve's "Your Songs"

I have Japan for US full rear artwork of GH. vol 1.
    (I am yet to see a Japan for US of Vol 2)

"Your Songs" I have only ever come across Manufactured in U.S.A. with plaid backs. (does a Japan even exist?)

21. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Not exactly. :)

I have a "pink back" Elton John that was made in Japan.

ibekeen likes this.
  22. KeithH

No problem. There is no version of Rock of the Westies with full-album artwork. The plaid version is the first.

As to your list above, here are some things you did not capture:

For Elton John, there is a Japan-for-U.S. pressing, but it has neither full-album artwork or the plaid insert. It is an MCA issue with plain pink inserts. The catalog number is MCAD-1614.

For Honky Chateau, there is a Japan-for-U.S. pressing with plain pink inserts that came first. The catalog number is MCAD-1611.

For Don't Shoot Me, there is the Japan-for-U.S. pressing with full-album artwork (MCAD-37113) and a Japan-for-U.S. pressing with the plaid insert (MCAD-31077).

For Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, there are Japan-for-U.S. pressings with full-album artwork and with plain pink inserts. Both versions have catalog number MCAD2-6894. This title is further complicated by the fact that there are CBS/Sony and JVC pressings. In my experience, both pressings can be found with the full-album artwork. Only the JVC pressing is found with the later plain pink inserts.

For Captain Fantastic, there is a first Japan-for-U.S. pressing with plain pink inserts. The catalog number is MCAD-1613. Then there is the Japan-for-U.S. pressing with the plaid insert, catalog number MCAD-31078.

For Blue Moves, there is a Japan-for-U.S. pressing with plain blue inserts. The catalog number is MCAD-6011.

23. KeithH

There is a Japan-for-U.S. pressing of Your Songs with the purple plaid insert.

There are Japan-for-U.S. pressings of Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits Volume II with full-album artwork. For Greatest Hits, there are CBS/Sony and JVC pressings, and they come with identical inserts. The CBS/Sony pressing is very rare. Interestingly, the inserts show the U.S. track list, including "Bennie and the Jets" as track 7, but the CBS/Sony pressing follows the European DJM track list and has "Candle in the Wind" as track 7. The JVC disc follows the U.S. track list and has "Bennie and the Jets" as track 7. The JVC pressing is not too rare.

There is only a Japanese JVC pressing of Greatest Hits Volume II. It is not too rare either.

24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Thanks Keith.
    I have 2 copies of "Your Songs" manufactured by Sanyo in the inner ring but have no mention of Japan.

Could you go into more detail about how you distinguish JVC on a cd?
    (is this common knowledge here?)

I have the "Bennie & The Jets" version of the Japan for US GH vol. 1. on MCA.

25. yesstiles

Thanks Keith.

Does anyone have an MCA "Captain Fantastic" with a full front booklet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.