Elton John SACD's , surround mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ephi82, Jul 12, 2017.

1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I grabbed the SACD of GBYR last week and really like the surround mix! I just ordered Madman Across the Water and am really looking forward to hearing that in 5.1 as well. What a shame we never got the remaining titles. I'm still hopeful. Maybe the Rocketman film will jumpstart a renewed interest in his work and will allow some kind of blu-ray box set of all the completed 5.1 mixes. Hey, I can dream, can't I? ;)

kevywevy, Jarleboy, Pizza and 7 others like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

If Rocketman does for Elton what Bohemian Rhapsody did for Queen, things may start moving with proper Elton reissues...

3. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I hope so but Elton seems to have no interest in his past albums or rarities being released besides what is already out.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

quote from a new interview with john jorgenson, stand in-guitarist on the european leg of the farwell tour (and one time regular member of the band)

eltonjohn-fan.de: A last Question: In the record store you see more and more vinyl records. What is your favorite Music format. Vinyl, CD, Tape or MP3 and why?

John: I like all the formats really, each one has its benefits and drawbacks. Vinyl sounds amazing but is delicate and bulky, CDs are bit more convenient but can sound a tad harsh, MP3s are super convenient but lack dynamics...tape really sounds amazing too. Probably my most favorite listening experience recently was in Greg Penny’s studio when he showed me 5.1 mixes of the Blue Moves album...extraordinary!

Could there be something coming, or was he just visiting and old pal?

Jarleboy, rontoon, fredblue and 5 others like this.
  5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Oh to listen to "Idol" in 5.1... :love:

Jarleboy and fredblue like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

That would be great. The film, his biog and 5.1 mixes of his albums all in one year.

:D

epc, Jarleboy, fredblue and 3 others like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Give us a 5.1 blu-ray set of all his albums with an existing 5.1 mix. Fans will lap it up! Where can I pre-order?!? ;)

Jarleboy, fredblue, Mooserfan and 4 others like this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Oh absolutely. His catalogue needs a Macca style overhaul.

Jarleboy, fredblue, ego1jr and 2 others like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Love them.
    I wasn't sure why Don't Shoot Me... and a couple of others missed out. I ended up getting them all

10. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I recently picked up Yellow Brick Road and Madman, but have stopped there in case there is an impending bulk reissue from this Summer of Elton.

11. Because they didn’t sell well.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

I have Honky, Captain Fantastic and Peachtree Road too. CF is excellent. As you’d imagine.

Jarleboy and supermd like this.
  13. mark winstanley

I understand that. I got them way back when they first came out.
    I bought "Elton John" as it is/was my favourite, and after hearing that I got the others

14. mark winstanley

Oh ok, Don't Shoot Me did well in Australia

15. No, i mean the 5.1 reissues. As a deluxe package they might do better but they went through multiple reissues which probably burned out fans as well.

Jarleboy and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Ah, I get you.
    The implementation of 5.1 was abominable.... I would go around music stores asking if they had any dvd audio and they would point to concert videos... ask for sacd and they were lost.... suggest that they put 5.1 albums in a separate spot and they would say "we haven't got any"... then I would point out the ones they did have and they would scratch their heads ... it was terrible.
    I used to just look at everything they had looking for the markings lol

Jarleboy, fredblue, JonUrban and 2 others like this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

With the way he’s cashing in, I’d expect individual releases as well. If it’s bulk only, be prepared for a small flood of the original issue discs.

Jarleboy, supermd and mark winstanley like this.
  18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm down for deluxe reissues of all his classic albums.

Jarleboy, fredblue and Mooserfan like this.
  19. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'd really like a greatest hits 5.1 mix. Volumes I and II.

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

This. Happened all of the time. I actually got into arguments (not heated) with some store staff about this stuff. They just could not be bothered.

21. mark winstanley

yep. Not educated. I went to the supposedly most switched on up to date store in town, and they mumbled something about there may be some. Then said "Well nobody is interested because they are all just classic rock albums" ... they were trying to sound cool and hip ... I said well Flaming Lips and Frank Zappa have dvd-a's... they aren't exactly Springsteen and Elton ... and they all moved away on the group w bench lol

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m not saying you’re wrong (and there’s a certain obvious logic to it), but what is your source on this?

23. lowielovesmusic

lowielovesmusic Forum Resident

...or it will make the prices of 2nd hand SACDs to rocket sky high! Please wait while I'm completing my collection please. Still missing S/T and Captain Fantastic. GYBR is shipped and on its way.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

to isolate the center channel is to hear a most sublime isolated vocal.

Jarleboy and fredblue like this.
  25. mullet

mullet Senior Member

Has anybody noticed the strange error/glitch on the - otherwise brilliant - 5.1 SACD mix of my favorite Elton John album "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy"? In the song "Writing" the brilliant Davey Johnstone plays a very nice guitar solo, starting at ± 2:27. It's there on the stereo-layer, but it's completely missing on the 5.1 mix...