Elton John SACD's...the first listen

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnG, Nov 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

It's the only way I can hear Elton spit and hiccup.

2. Kevin Sypolt

Kevin Sypolt Senior Member

Same with CF! :agree:

3. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

I find the surround mix overly bright.

4. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

And noise-reduced too?

5. 22dRow

22dRow New Member

Yes. But I still enjoyed it for what it was. It's fun to hear all that in surround.

6. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Wags-
    I also find the Surround layer bright. It wasn't the first thing that grabbed my atention though. For me- the attention getter was the surround mix. After the hopla over how good they sound in surround settles in- I noticed the brightness.

Chris

7. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Well, three were released up here today, EJ. Captain and Tumbleweed. They are sitting here in front of me but I am afraid of being "blinded by the bright" if I open them. Oh well, time to warm up the player and grit my teeth with anticipation.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I couldn't find Capt. Did you steal it from me at the Heartland Bestbuy store! :realmad: :D

9. Khorn

Quite a few copies at Downsview. I still think you should make a nice big :realmad: your avatar....would look great.

10. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Well, I've only got EJ from the new batch (it was the only on I could find in the States last week - and, of course, can't find any back in the UK yet) but...

On GYBR Elton's voice appeared to be noise gated... just checking you're not hearing the gate and thinking it's NR ?

11. Khorn

Wow!! these are great!

I just listened to most of Tumbleweed and some selected cuts from EJ and Captain.

These are just great sounding. I haven't heard Elton like this since the 70's and I have a lot of the in between discs including some Mobiles.

I listened to these in stereo (thats all I have) at an average level of 100db at the listening position.

The chest massaging bottom end was fantastic as well as the smooth detailed and musical presentation. The EJ album is a little more uneven soundwise but then, it always was.

Dynamite music......super sound....very very highly recommended.

I just can't wait for Madman and Honky coming out next week up here.

12. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

3 of the Eltons are listed in the Top Ten of surround hi-rez discs in the QQ poll, voted on for their sound quality, content, and surround mix. You can take them for whatever you like, but people seem to like these CDs.

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QQHiRezPoll2004.htm

Wags, I think you should give them a try in surround before you eBay them.

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Wow, that seems really loud to me. I listen occasionally at 85db (average) and I fear for the safety of my ears.

Hmmm, I have listened to Honky Chateau on headphones, rather loudly; wonder how that translates in decibels....

(I was A/B'ing the stereo SACD to the vintage vinyl "Uni" LP, and boy was the LP much warmer and mellow. The SACD sounded screechy in comparison.)

Craig.

14. Kevin Sypolt

Boy, talk about mixed reviews! :)

I decided to not keep mine, but others think they are the best they have ever heard. I guess that's why we have so many different mastering engineers! YMMV :wave:

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Khorn, Please be careful, I agree with your assessment of Tumbleweed, but 100 dB SPL is not a good idea (I know the K-Horns can easily do that and sweetly) but you are not superman and ears will go if you continue to do that. :shake:

16. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Agreed - Your Ears: The most important component in your system :agree:

17. Khorn

I normally don't listen at that level for a few reasons. Health of course (my 110db days are many years gone) being one of them and the fact that room "overloads" at just above that level. I just wanted to see how "bright" these discs sounded at realistic SPLs. IMHO they are far from being overly bright or harsh, a pleasant surprise after what I had been reading here.

18. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

Khorn, apart from your ears that volume seems to have stirred some international concern, I understand Bush has flown to your country today to ask you to lower that volume. It seems that Tallahassee, Fla. residents have been complaining about it. ;)

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS! Thread Starter

Thats how I felt when I first heard them...it was like hearing them during the 70's again. :agree:

20. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess that after all these posts and opinions on the new EJ SACDs (mine will be in as soon as I receive the "Honky Chateau" and - later - "Tumbleweed Connection" titles I have ordered from Amazon UK), it could be interesting to go back and take a look at this article again: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/news/news.asp?newsnumber=10633139

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

FINALLY got Captain Fantastic. I agree...If it's bright, I'm not hearing it! WHat I've played so far sounds really good to my ears. On GYBR, the brightness was really evident in the vocals and Nigel's drums. It's not like that on CF. Can't wait to play the whole thing (also can't wait to finish my basement so I can have a room all to myself!)

22. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Gosh, that was a L-O-N-G wait! I was feeling sorry for you Dave! :(

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They were just released today.....some.......Cat and Madman come out NEXT week. :shake:

No NIN either! :sigh:

24. Kevin Sypolt

So I trust this was with multi-channel, correct?

25. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yes. Always play in 5.1 unless it's a stereo only disc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.