Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

:righton: on the UNI US Honky Darrin, they got that one right

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

I will take AAA over a digital LP every time.

Case in point: Beatles box set. Among others.

Pieter Kozak likes this.
  4. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

OK. They're all up on Amazon now. Captain Fantastic ordered. One of my Holy Grails in a quiet vinyl version. Hopefully.

Merrick, Darrin Crawford and teag like this.
  5. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Whoooooo hoooooo me too!! Thanks!!
    I managed to get mine over two years ago from a chap who was some music marketing guy for a radio company. He had kept this and Honky Chateau in pristine condition.
    One of the few that I will keep as a double.
    This is great!

Ben Adams likes this.
  6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Robert Ludwig did the remastering - not the cutting. From the original master tapes. This was mentioned in one of the promo pieces when the box set was announced (I believe on EJ.com).

7. teag

teag Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. It's great that RL dis the remastering.

Wonder if these are digital and who cut them?

8. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Looking forward to your impressions. I have an MCA original and it is too noisy to play.

9. teag

teag Forum Resident

I found this online about the box set:

"The albums were remastered from the original tapes by legendary engineer Bob Ludwig, and the vinyl cut at the renowned Abbey Road Studios in London."

Does not answer the question of analog vs. digital, or exactly who cut them, or where they are pressed, but the cutting at Abbey Road is a good sign.

http://www.eltonjohn.com/burberry-releases-limited-edition-box-set-of-elton-vinyls/

10. Darrin Crawford

I suspect these have been much better handled than the dreaded 40th anniversary Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. God I was upset at that one. If they do these (regardless off of the tape or from a file replica) like the Gabriel, Floyd and Rush reissues we will be fine. At least Bob Ludwig did the remastering which is the secret ingredient to these reissues.

EddieT and teag like this.
  11. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

But IIRC Ludwig did the 40th anniversary GYBR. I suspect these will sound similar to that vinyl release.

As for their being cut at Abbey Road, that's fine but it doesn't guarantee an AAA release (I'm of the opinion that it's at least 99.999% the mastering that defines how it will sound and not the all-analog thing, which is mostly of expectation bias). For these to have been AAA releases, Ludwig would have to have hopped on a plane and gone to Abbey Road and sat there doing his mastering moves while someone assisted him in the cutting. It's possible for him to do his mastering to analog tape and send it over, but otherwise, it'd be digital to analog.

12. Darrin Crawford

See?? I had no idea he was involved with GYBR 40th. I learn something new everyday. Ok...scrap these....originals all the way....LOL
    I can't put my finger on why I didn't like it...I just chalked it up to a bad remaster.....plus the vinyl quality was something to be desired. Having said that when I compared it to Speakers Corner it was night and day. Although I would be curious as to hear what an MFSL copy sounds like but sooner or later I have to settle in with one copy.
    Why can't they just get it right once and be done with it??

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I didn't care for that 40th anniversary GYBR at all. It had a ton of compression on it with a big smiley face EQ....sounded terrible IMO. Absolutely crushed by any old analogue version. Now that I know these are done by the same team I cancelled my ore-orders with Bull Moose.

Pieter Kozak and c-eling like this.
  14. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Bernie Grundman cut 17/11/70 - I haven't looked at the dead wax of the other 5 albums.
    They all sound amazing (SFTWC was the only one I wasn't super thrilled with - not awful, but felt 'noisy' at times).

15. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm willing to bet that Bernie Grundman did not cut that record. He doesn't work for Abbey Road. The BG at the beginning of the dead wax is Abbey Road's matrix code style. Your previous post listed the deadwax info for 11-17-70. That is merely Abbey Road's style. I have many other discs cut at Abbey Road. They are not cut by Bernie Grundman, even with a BG in at the beginning of the matrix number.

A sure sign of his cuts... He makes he twos look like upside down backwards fives. Also.. the BG is written completely separately at the end of the matrix number with a great deal of space between it and the number. It is never at the very beginning.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'll bet they were all cut by Miles Showell at Abbey Road...1/2 speed.

17. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

In this case, BG would be the prefix for pressed at Optimal Media for vinyl in 2016. (B) = Vinyl (G) = 2016

The funny looking "OΛ AΛ" is actually the way they write the number 1. so it's really BG 42048-01 A1

18. Darrin Crawford

I bet they sound incredible but as per the comments I suspect this is not a Grundman cut and BG just happens to part of the cat# series.
    Have you compared any of them to originals?? Curious at your findings.

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I believe it's more likely the matrix code for Optimal Media, who pressed them.

Optimal Media GmbH

Matrix scheme:

XY#####-ZZ
    (Single letter format identifier, followed by single character year identifier, followed by a 5 digit numeral code, followed by an appended two digit disc numbering).

X is the format identifier:
    "A" = CDs
    "B" = Vinyl records
    "D" = DVDs
    "E" = Blu-ray Discs

Y is the manufacturing year identifier, since 2010 a single letter (A to Z):
    (before 2010 see Optimal Media Production listings)

A = 2010
    B = 2011
    C = 2012
    D = 2013
    E = 2014
    F = 2015
    G = 2016
    H = 2017

20. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

That was an utter waste of ££ which I no longer listen to. Not sure what they did to it, but it sucked the life out of it.

Obviously I'll be rubbing my chin in serious contemplation at buying these. Well, SFTWC at very least.

21. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

So we're finally getting some vinyl releases from Elton. Now if we could just get them to release those surround mixes for Don't Shoot Me, Caribou, Rock of the Westies and Blue Moves!

I just sent an e-mail to [email protected] to remind them the mixes are done already and just sitting in the "can" so all they'd need to do is release them then rake in the cash for all concerned! If they don't want to release SACDs, it should be easy enough for them to at least offer hi-res downloads on HDTracks, and other vendors.

I also put a plug in for additional vinyl titles over and above the handful announced for April.

PTgraphics and Darrin Crawford like this.
  22. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

I didn't bother with the vinyl for the 40th since I already have an original DJM red vinyl pressing that sounds very nice. I did eventually add the Pure Audio Blu-Ray version to a Christmas list and received it as a gift. I did see some folks around here saying they liked the 40th vinyl release.

23. Darrin Crawford

How do you like the Blu Ray?? I am tempted to get it...just for curiosity sake.

24. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Yes.. my mistake.. Optimal's pressing code, not Abbey Road's.. I believe some of my other discs are BC or BD, etc..

DeRosa likes this.
  25. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Yeah.. I figured out that triangle thing as a one a little while back. I have a disc pressed at Optimal and cut by Abbey Road. It has a more clear number 1 and I just surmised that it would be 01-a1 or b1 or something on the other discs that look like a triangle.