Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Why do people who get a duff copy post like the whole run must be dud? A replacement copy is far better 9 times out of 10. Some nasty repetitive pops on Empty Sky so that is going back. Yet to play Blue Moves. It's a pity GZ can't source textured covers. That is the main downer on these reissues as opposed to the ones repressed from the box set. None have sounded like a CD to me. I suggest wet cleaning any noisy or murky sounding pressing before passing judgement.

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I got through The Big Picture and Empty Sky and they both sounded great. No issues.

Nice sleeve work on TBP, it's a gatefold. Each half has a photo from the original CD booklet. There is a 12x12" insert which has the pages from the original CD book arranged in a grid on two sides with lyrics. Each album is in an anti-static sleeve. The labels on the records are based on the original CD - the very dark painting of Elton in a full coat.

Empty Sky is not textured (but neither was S/T album) but is a gatefold with the lyrics inside. Vinyl has the DJM label on it.

Blue Moves replicated original packaging with two lyric sleeves - though they don't have the rounded corners of the original. Labels are based on original with Rocket labels.

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  3. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Could be by the batch - beware - my side 1 is atrocious - Tonight in particular. Rough song to have so much noise on.
    The rest of the lp's are pristine.

4. I’m with ya on this.

5. ego1jr

ego1jr Forum Resident

There were a couple really small pops in the very beginning but it was pretty quiet the rest of the way even during "Tonight".

I had a similar noise issue with my don't shoot me I'm only the piano player. Very noisy. I returned it and got a replacement and it played perfectly.

6. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Thnx for the report. I wet-cleaned mine but no difference. Exchanged so we'll see if the next is an improvement.

7. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

My luck so far has been:

Elton John - few pops here and there in quiet passages and a couple repeating ticks...barely passable. Bought local with not great return policy.
    Tumbleweed Connection - The worst of the quality for me. Some nasty recurring issue during Talking Old Soldiers. Very hard to get past it honestly. Too bad, otherwise record mastering sounds great. Bought from Music Direct. Maybe I will try to exchange.
    Madman - perfect pressing
    Honky Chateau - one or two pops, otherwise perfect
    Captain Fanstastic - perfect pressing. so quiet.
    Caribou - side 1 excellent, haven't listened to side 2 yet
    Don't Shoot Me - both sides great. 1 or 2 pops
    Rock of the Westies - one or two pops. Great.
    Too Low for Zero - side one perfect. haven't listened to side 2 yet.
    Songs from the West Coast - listened to half. Sounds great. very quiet.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. I was in a local shoppe today. :tiphat:

[​IMG]

Solly Bridgetower and CBackley like this.
  9. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Too much!

Mazzy likes this.
  10. Yeah by over $30

e.s. likes this.
  11. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

Bro??? you're not alone. Tonight is sucky right now...surface noise wise(pretty much the intro) but OMG the sound is ten times better than the 3 sealed MCA copies I picked up in the last three years.
    Will give my long-winded review soon.
    So far the sound is far far beyond my expectations. I am in awe.

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

And you bit??

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They are £29.99 on Amazon UK. Played record 1. Some surface noise on side 1 but not intrusive on my set up. Certainly not muddy sounding as claimed elsewhere but rather not a little bright as one or two earlier EJ recordings are. Also warming to the music which visits a wider range of styles than much of his work. A bit more soul/funk influences but also tracks that are reminiscent of Tumbleweed Connection. Just not as commercial as the previous albums.

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

How does Blue Moves compare to original UK? I have an 'EX looking' original but disc 2 is noisy so I'm weighing up getting another one to see if I can get a quiet second disc or go for the reissue....?

15. I went for the double Twin Peaks artists LP instead. :tiphat:

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Ahh, Twin Peaks.....

Mazzy likes this.
  17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Missed this earlier, sounds promising. The UK sounds pretty good though...but I won't buy it unless it's worth it.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  18. What’s actually really funny to me now is that everywhere I surf on the web, NY Times , Facebook , Huffington Post etc , Blue Moves shows up teasing me to buy. :tiphat:

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  19. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

You're biggest mistake was "liking" NYT, FB and Hiuffington....LOL
    Just stick with us....somehow I bet (well probably not) that you will dig out Blue Moves out of the bin...although I am sure it's long gone...LOL

Mazzy likes this.
  20. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

chacha, Solly Bridgetower and Mazzy like this.
  21. It’s probably been recycled by now into a Billy Joel record.

e.s. likes this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

And smashed into pieces, as I recall from the photos @Mazzy posted.

Mazzy likes this.
  23. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

Is that The Big Picture in front of it?

Mazzy likes this.
  24. I think so.

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is that your reflection we see above the Blue Moves album? ;)

chacha, teag and Mazzy like this.