Elton John Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sunsales, Feb 15, 2017.

1. teag

teag Forum Resident

[​IMG]

hi_watt, Mazzy and CBackley like this.
  2. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

That's search tracking / ad buying for you.

Mazzy likes this.
  3. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Yes, the sound is very good overall, minus the surface noise. Huge improvement.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  4. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Due to the amount of these EJ reissues, I reckon we'll see some discounting in a few months....they will see the initial rush to buy them and then I'll bet a number of the more undesirable titles will struggle to sell and they will be about half the price...

5. See, we all take a stab at humor once in awhile. Not bad. :tiphat:

teag and Darrin Crawford like this.
  6. Yup. Happens all the time. I deserve it this time.

But seriously I’ve loved all the reissues I’ve purchased. Went up to Piano Player which sounds good but not quite as good as all the rest imho

Haven’t gotten Empty Sky or anything beyond Piano Player. No pressing issues whatsoever. I’d say it’s a very successful reissue program

e.s. likes this.
  7. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think you should give it another go...if only for 'Theme from a non existent Tv series" :)

8. Boy if I posted what my copy of this picture looked like , I’d be banned from here for life.

9. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I haven't compared it yet but I think my copy will be noisier and is not 'mint'. I went through a few used copies before this to get one that was decent. The very thick card inners don't help.

richbdd01 likes this.
  10. Darrin Crawford

Darrin Crawford Forum Resident

I am on my second listen with this new reissue
    When you're a "kid" as a 9 year old (1975) looking at this pic, it truly means a poo-poo "moment". Elton was KING at this time. Just sucky Blue Moves was NOT everyone's cup of tea like it was in my K-Tel, Elton, 70's "day". Just one of those things.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Listening to Blue Moves now. Dead quiet side one. Sound quality is the best I have heard. I have heard original and remastered CDs and original vinyl MCA. It is a darker presentation for sure which this album needs. Sounds more mature this way. Drums and piano sound full and not overly bright.

12. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Admit it, Mazzy. You are obsessed with the album! :unhunh:

Mazzy likes this.
  13. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

So i finished my Blue Moves tonight and the rest of it was great...as in nice pressing. No noise whatsoever. Maybe a tick or two through the entire album.
    My Empty Sky was the same... perfect. It was nice revisiting Empty Sky. I really enjoy some of these songs like Sails, Lady Whats Tomorrow and Scaffolds.
    I started The Big Picture. It looked noisy visually but played clean (record 2 is all I listened to) I thought it sounded better than the poorly mastered cd.

I have a question...since my Elton John self titled is not the cleanest and I can't return it. I would be interested in buying it again as the Europe release with the textured cover. Anyone know how I might go about getting that version being that I am in the US? If I order off Amazon UK will it be the textured version? Or was that strictly in the Burberry box?

Darrin Crawford and fredblue like this.
  14. I probably am in a way. But not by the Music. :tiphat:

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Sound quality is the best you heard from these remasters?

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Textured cover was only in the box.

Darrin Crawford likes this.
  17. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

I mean sound quality is the best I have heard Blue Moves sound. Not best sound quality of all the reissues. That would be harder to peg down. Most of them sound so good.

18. crazywater

crazywater Dangerous Dreamer...

I've always felt the sound of Blue Moves was too harsh, at least on the MCA vinyl. So would you say that it's easier on the ears? Mazzy, don't say it. :p

Mazzy likes this.
  19. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

Absolutely easier on the ears. It's mellow, not bright. You can crank it.

Hey I have another question....
    Now that the Reissue series seem to be wrapping up. What am I to do to fill out the collection? Are the 80s album original pressings (on geffen) decent sounding? or bad?
    "A Single Man" through "Reg Strikes Back".....how do they sound on vinyl? better than cds?
    Also I am guessing getting "The One" and "Made in England" is going to cost a lot and probably not sound that great. Anyone with experience on those two?

I hope we get a least one more batch of a few titles before they stop all together. I want "A Single Man", "21 at 33", "The Fox", "Reg Strikes Back", "The One", "Made in England", "Peachtree Road" and "Captain & the Kid" reissues.
    Oh and maybe something like "Lady Samantha" that contains lots of b-sides. Speaking of which....how does "Lady Samantha" DJM on vinyl sound?

20. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I have Made in England on vinyl - it sounds pretty good. Also have the later pressing of Captain and the Kid, also sounds good.

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oops.

22. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I would love to know how original vinyl of A Single Man sounds compared to the remastered cd. That was a long album, so was the MCA vinyl even worse than usual? Been a long time since I've had the vinyl.

No comments from the Peanut Gallery about how bad this record is, and it's not gonna sound good on any medium, save for maybe 8-Track.

23. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

My side one of Blue Moves was almost too noisy. Oddly it was noisy in the louder string portions of Tonight. The rest is fine.

I was thinking while I was playing the album about how I got reintroduced to the record. While I've always not hated the album, besides Sorry Seems, if I never hear that song again........I still didn't play it often. In the early 80's I was listening to an Elton tape I had of him solo/with Ray Cooper at the Rainbow in London, 1977. I played that tape to death. Loved it. In that show he played five songs from Blue Moves, and I think that tape is the reason I returned to the album, and knowing five songs pretty well, made the album more familiar to listen to.

24. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Cage the Songbird is amazing from that show. I actually prefer it to the country-ish version on Blue Moves.

keithdylan likes this.
  25. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Picked up the Tumbleweed vinyl. Beautiful pressing -- dead flat and very quiet. My tonearm looks completely stationary when I'm playing it. I'm no Elton expert, but it sounds great to me. This is my favorite Elton album; now I'm tempted to pick up another one or two.

Adam Bosman and Vinyl Dude like this.