Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by D. Davis, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

RSD list for November just released and, unless I missed it, no EJ stuff this time. I haven't heard anything either about a forthcoming Chateau box. :cry:

Oh well. We've been spoiled this year, so I shouldn't complain.

2. EltonMSO

EltonMSO Forum Resident

Elton's hardly ever part of the November RSD, though, isn't he? His releases are always in the April list.

Also the Chateau box might be held back until around November/December, to profit from the increased market then...just speculating (That's if there is one, of course)

3. EddieT

EddieT Forum Resident

I hope there will be some more classic live concerts reissued (in full). Don't mind if they tinker with them a bit to "tidy them up":

Edinburgh 1976
    Rainbow Theatre 1977
    Wembley Arena(Empire Pool) 1977
    Central Park 1980
    Hammersmith 1982
    Wembley Stadium 1984

Hep Alien, Jagger69, D. Davis and 3 others like this.
  4. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Please throw in Dodger Stadium—or anything from 1975’s “West of the “Rockies” tour. Great set list!!

ego1jr, yesstiles and D. Davis like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Continuing with reviews of the recent vinyl releases, I just spun Love Songs. This is an interesting comp because it first came out in Europe in late '95 and I picked up an import copy here in the U.S. Then a slightly different version with 2 new tracks was released in the US in 1996. The European version was released on vinyl in some markets, and that is the version re-released here. I love ballads and I always liked the track lists of these albums, preferring the European one slightly more.

Starting with the packaging - it's OK. The cover shot of Elton is a touch soft; I've never seen the original pressing so I can't say if that's how it was in '95. But my guess is the source image (likely a print or maybe even a scan) was just scaled up for the vinyl and it softened. I have sheet music books for this album and the photo's soft on the cover, too. All typography is crisp though, so these aren't just scans of the original vinyl art. The LP sleeves are glossy paper, bearing the song lyrics and credits (essentially an adaptation of the very boring CD booklet in the original). Unfortunately, these recent releases don't put the LPs in anti-static sleeves, but rather right in the paper lyric sleeves. I don't mind this except that there are tons of paper fibers from the trimming which wind up on the records.

The vinyl themselves are well-pressed. The labels are custom, featuring typography mimicking the design of the album sleeve. Flat, solid. No surface noise, no pops. Crystal clean. It's tough to judge sound on comps, but I did A/B comparisons between the '95 UK Rocket CD and this vinyl. The vinyl is quieter, but otherwise I couldn't discern a huge difference in the mastering. On Nikita, I could have sworn there was a touch more hiss on the CD, as though it was slightly more open in the highs. But it was marginal and honestly both CD and vinyl sound similar. One thing I never noticed is that the version of Sacrifice on this comp is different from Sleeping with the Past. It lacks a little percussive lead-in - almost as though half a beat was chopped off on the upbeat. I thought it might be a mistake on the vinyl, but the CD version is the same.

All in all, this one is really only worth it for someone who loves this comp; it has some songs not easily found on vinyl elsewhere like Blessed, Please, True Love, the Lion King songs and Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me with George Michael.

6. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Received the vinyl reissue of A Single Man yesterday. This has never been a favorite but I thought what the heck.
    After a few spins I can say it's a very nice pressing. Very quiet.
    As for the music I'm warming to it a bit.

7. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Your comment about "Sacrifice" reminded me that I used to have the multis for it. An extremely difficult track to remix! If I recall, there were at least thirty-something stems on it, and a good chunk of them were rhythm elements. I also remember that part of the guitar lick that plays repeatedly on the outro was also used on the intro; it just didn't make the mix.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    Jarleboy, Jagger69, Eiricd and 2 others like this.
  8. D. Davis

D. Davis Forum Resident Thread Starter

FYI, I've been watching some footage from Elton's most recent show in Pittsburgh last night. "Good Morning To The Night" is played across the speakers before the opening number, which is still "Bennie And The Jets" and now "Hold Me Closer" is played across the speakers after Elton has left the stage and the credits roll on screen, instead of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart".
    Also, finally got my Love Songs, Breaking Hearts, The Captain & the Kid and A Single Man vinyl reissues yesterday. They look great...can't wait to play them!

9. D. Davis

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

[​IMG]

Well, what d'ya know...I thought I got rid of this copy of A Single Man way back during my mini vinyl purge back in the early 90's, but actually it was just relegated to a separate pile of records that followed me to my new home and hid amidst a pile of old LPs given to me a while ago. I just didn't realize I still had this copy, but there is was, discovered through my very slow screen and clean process.

I picked up the CD recently just in order to be able to add my impressions earlier in this thread, and to complete my EJ collection. But I think that this updated spin offers me a fresh perspective of the album.

While my overall impression of the album hasn't changed much, there's a fair slice of solid tracks here. The opener, "I Don't Care", "It Ain't Gonna Be Easy", "Part-Time Love", "Georgia" are all still decent tracks, and "Song For Guy" is a classic. I'm surprised that this pressing sounds a tad on the bright side, but it offers some decent detail, and overall it's very listenable.

Hope to snag the recent reissue for a comparison.

11. plugmeintosomething

Not to get too off topic but I saw Elton last night in Charlotte. Amazing. It was cool to see people dancing to Hold Me Closer as we were shuffling out of the stadium.

12. D. Davis

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  13. ivtoon

ivtoon Forum Resident

Absolutely true.

I've made a lifetime effort finding almost every vinyl pressing (UK, US, Japan, France, Germany) and CD/SACD issue of John's first LP's through "Yellow Brick Road." The see-through UK pressings are always the best overall, with the most natural and clean sound. Others may highlight certain aspects and allow focus on certain details and seem "better." But once the novelty of the newly-discovered aspects fades, the overall sound and presentation of the first UK pressings always wins out.

FWIW - the original Japanese translucent red vinyl pressing of "Elton John" is fantastic (pun barely intended) until the last three songs on the second side, which sound like more and more blankets are being thrown over the speakers with each additional song. It's really a shame because the first side is wonderful.

joy stinson likes this.
  14. plugmeintosomething

Be sure to let us know what you think of the new reissues. I have Captain and Single Man and am very pleased.

WhatDoIKnow and Jarleboy like this.
  15. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

I think he's still doing the song in the encore though, as I saw a clip of it from Pittsburgh, too. I'd wondered if he'd slot Hold me closer in there.

Jagger69 and Jarleboy like this.
  16. plugmeintosomething

In Charlotte Sunday night the encore was Cold Heart ( the crowd LOVED it), Your Song and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. I'll admit I teared up a little at the end know it was my last Elton show.

17. D. Davis

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  18. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Was a solo performance. About 45 minutes.

Your Song
    Tiny Dancer
    Rocket Man

spoke about Ryan White
    Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me
    spoke about AIDS support from US
    Crocodile Rock (slower intro)
    I'm Still Standing

19. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

I see someone above has already mentioned the great Elton White House concert tonight and for his tireless AIDS work, he deserved his medal.

20. plugmeintosomething

Missed it live but watched on YouTube. Was great as you'd expect. Congrats to Sir Elton.
    This IS an album thread so Elton when do we get a Made In England reissue?

21. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Elton sounded pretty good. Far better than the solo stints he did at the beginning of the pandemic. I'd say his voice wasn't quite as smooth as it was earlier in the year when he'd had two years off. But for a solo gig it was strong and he sounded less winded. The piano playing was also on point. A very greatest hits set, but his intro to Crocodile Rock was almost a balled turned full rocker.

As for Made in England - it's the mystery of the year regarding Elton's releases. We came close - Love Songs just came out on vinyl and it has 2 songs from MIE.

22. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

A limited CD single is being issued for Hold Me Closer and fans can vote on the artwork, which itself was created by fans:

CD Single Vote - Elton John

Jagger69, D. Davis and MrJerry1876 like this.
  23. D. Davis

"Hold Me Closer" official music video also debuts tomorrow on Elton's YouTube Channel, Sept. 27, 1PM Eastern Time.

24. joy stinson

I saw the film at the theater and bought the soundtrack album.

25. joy stinson

Late to the thread and been too long since I heard the album…must play it again, but think “All the young girls love Alice” is on the album. That’s my selection as has interesting lyrics, gay references in lyrics and the movement was emerging openly then. Also absolutely love the guitar on that song.